Aftermarket Aluminum Radiators?

Red

I'm in the market for a replacement of my stock copper radiator, but don't want to shell out big bucks. This is a good thread on aftermarket radiators, but thought to ask if anyone has used one successfully? There is positive testamonial here, but not for Corvettes.
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131059
This is a unit I found at a very attractive price, but the question is, will it keep a 450 HP SB engine cool with a tank to also cool a TH350 trans??
http://www.radiatorexpress.com/prod...ow+Replacement&part_id=218033&aaia_id=1041118
I'm looking for something that will keep the engine cool without a seperate oil and trans cooler. As a last resort I will add seperate coolers. What do yall think?

Since the 89 F body rad is the same core size....check the spec sheets on that, as I recall it's what's in my '72.....I would think with some decent electric fans like the Spals....it would cool just fine, with the NO tag/sign/bracket front end there was no overheating, MY issue was always with the off freeway into traffic in summer crap....the Spals cured that crap in a hurry....

now figger your engine is not doing 450 hp all the time, so....

the rad is a 1.25" single row aluminum, plastic tanks, per stock....for a F body V8...cost me like 160 bux some time ago....

Spals are on ebay ~200 bux....

:beer:

Summit radiator for $170 fits just fine, only problem is that the angle of the lower hose connection is not correct, any shop that can weld aluminum should be able to cut and re-weld.

Summit radiator for $170 fits just fine, only problem is that the angle of the lower hose connection is not correct, any shop that can weld aluminum should be able to cut and re-weld.

I think I missed a good bet there....how large is it?? thickness?? ALL welded aluminum, or alu/plastic tanks??

:cry:

I think I missed a good bet there....how large is it?? thickness?? ALL welded aluminum, or alu/plastic tanks??

all aluminum - summitracing.com

Summit brand part number sum-380331 $160

Griffin gri-1-25272-x $180

problem is the lower connection is not pointing "up" - the hose will collaps if you don't use a spring iside the hose or a aftermarket SS flex hose or a 90* coupler....

My '79 runs cool, always around 180-210* but I don't have a auto trans with that trans cooler in front of the radiator.... no AC either....

Last edited:
Go to Southwestspeed.com and get one of their aluminum universal fit units or get a Griffin radiator from them. Under $200.00

I like this one that you found - great price too.
http://www.radiatorexpress.com/produ...aia_id=1041118
I'm looking for something that will keep the engine cool without a seperate oil and trans cooler. As a last resort I will add seperate coolers. What do yall think?

Last edited:
I dunno what to think, everyone says ATF should be cooler than 180f at most in the pan, and yet I find that very hard to attain even with engine at 180f in and the temp probe slid down the dipstick tube....and that's WITH a extra ATF cooler in front, they all seem to be 200f+.....dunno why, just IS....

but that's here in FLORIDA on a HOT DAY....:shocking:

all aluminum - summitracing.com

Summit brand part number sum-380331 $160

Griffin gri-1-25272-x $180

problem is the lower connection is not pointing "up" - the hose will collaps if you don't use a spring iside the hose or a aftermarket SS flex hose or a 90* coupler....

My '79 runs cool, always around 180-210* but I don't have a auto trans with that trans cooler in front of the radiator.... no AC either....

Humm thats not bad, would those do the job with a BB manual no air?

Thanks for the response and suggestions, they are appreciated. I found another option that looks to be even better, as far as cooling characteristics are concerned. They claim it will cool up to 750 HP. The problem is, it is designed for a 1973-early 76 Corvette. My problem is, for my 79 the inlet is angled, not straight, the outlet is angled the wrong way, the AT cool tank bottom fitting is above the outlet hose and petcock is not located correctly. Sure, I could probably make it work, but it all costs time and money, so I'm trying to find a direct fit like the Radiator Express unit, but with more cooling capacity. Take a look at this three row all AL unit.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Kool-Radiators__W0QQ_sidZ526212122QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14?_pgn=2
I'm going to call to find if a late 76-82 unit is in the works by them.

For those who may not know, my big picture planning is to get everything I will need to support my next higher HP engine. For cooling, I'm also looking at the mod BeeJay made to his front. The paint is one of the nicer features of my car, if not for the potential for damage; I'd already have the front bumper off. You guys are the best and there is benefit in bouncing ideas around. I'd say the two row would work fine for a MT car, but the AT adds more stress to the system, especially with a loose converter.

Last edited:
Watch out for radiators with welded tanks. A Corvette radiator will have a flat spot at the top of the tank for clearance with the hood. A welded tank will have a sharp corner and could cause issues wen closing your hood.

Watch out for radiators with welded tanks. A Corvette radiator will have a flat spot at the top of the tank for clearance with the hood. A welded tank will have a sharp corner and could cause issues wen closing your hood.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean? I'm having a three row aluminum radiator made for my 79 and ready in about three weeks. If everything works out, I will post some pictures and how it fits my 79 with details.