Air in power steering?

pcf_mark

I have glommed on a few threads about power steering issues but I have not been satisfied that I KNOW what the problem is before I start before I start braking oh i I mean fixing stuff.

My original problem was no power steering at low rpm/idle. Then as I drove and the rpm dropped it would get hard to steer. Also at slow speeds going around corners I would have limited ps and a hammering on/off sensation. Now that I have beed driving it more and consistently I have noticed the problem is less and less severe and is only at idle. Could this be air trapped in the system that is working it's way out? If so how can I expedite the process?

Typically you just need turn the wheels full R&L a few times, then look at the fluid level, top off, and let set overnight....maybe it takes a couple times with this treatment, but it's all I have ever done....wonder if your pump is getting bad....have you used ATF/red fluid in it?? I used to years ago, but something has changed, and doing it today has forced dedicated power steering fluid on the shelves, I never used to see it before....

I dunno that ATF causes you problem, but it seems to cause leaking awful quick...just a observation...nothing iron clad proven...

:goodnight:

It almost sounds like a loose (slipping) belt or a pump that is failing. Maybe it has an under drive pulley on it? Are any of the lines kinked?

Nah, the car would have to be female to have kinky lines....:harhar::devil:

Too low pump volume @ low rpm. Is it an old pump? If so, get a new one. What you are feeling is the assist cylinder/piston )whatever kind of steering you have) catching up. If you have some kind of tricked out pulley setup, you need a better pump w/ a flow valve you can easily swap out -> KRC! or a smaller pump pulley to up the idle pump rpm.

I have always recommended genuine GM power steering fluid. It is the only fluid specifically formulated to operate with the Saginaw power steering pumps. Other fluids will work (ATF and generic PS fluid on K-Mart shelves, etc) but the GM fluid (available at any GM dealer) works best.

Did you replace something in your PS system that could have caused air to be in the system? If the engine is started with lots of air still in the system, a large slug of air can be pushed through the lines. That air and sorrounding oil is then whipped to a froth when it passes through the pump. Then you have millions of very tiny air bubbles that now need to slowly work their way out of the fluid. Those millions of air bubbles can cause lots of steering noise and erratic power assist.

Sometimes a loose return hose or a worn out pump driveshaft seal can actually cause air to be sucked into the system even though the seal or hose doesn't leak oil on the floor.

Jim

I have used Lucas power steering leak fix with good results in mine, and in some customers cars. (I used to be a service manager)

That said, there is no such thing as a mechanic in a jar, so if the P/S pump is going bad, this step will only buy you some time.

Check the belt as mentioned, check fluid levels, turn the steering wheel, with the engine running, as mentioned. See what you have then.

Thanks everyone. All the parts are new and stock GM. I think I will try the left/right/left full travel and let it sit over night.

Be sure to let us know what you find after sitting over night.
Jim