Alternator wiring?

donnie_19

Getting ready to wire the truck alternator for my swap. Adding the resistor and running a new 10 gauge wire to the starter. Is 10 gauge heavy enough or should I go 8. Alternator is a out of a 5.3 truck.
I also need a disconnect of some kind to remove power quickly. I currently have a blade switch on the ground which is not recommended and going to be removed. Not much room in the battery box.

Attachments

• Corvette LS alternator wiring.jpg
    Corvette LS alternator wiring.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Getting ready to wire the truck alternator for my swap. Adding the resistor and running a new 10 gauge wire to the starter. Is 10 gauge heavy enough or should I go 8. Alternator is a out of a 5.3 truck.
I also need a disconnect of some kind to remove power quickly. I currently have a blade switch on the ground which is not recommended and going to be removed. Not much room in the battery box.

AS I RECALL, I had to use a lower value resistor in that line, it subs for a lightbulb/idiot light to a switched power source....

been a while, but I think I had to use either a 330 ohm or 150 ohm resistor in a similar setup, some years ago....but long as you get a reliable charge from that alt, you fine....;)

For the main supply feed to the battery, I used 0 gauge vibration-resistant welding wire. I also installed a Maxi-fuse in a holder mounted to the underside of the toeboard near the starter. It's pretty much now set up the way the original Delco white paper intended, rather than the way GM implemented their alternator systems.

Size the charge wire to the max alternator amp output.
8 ga should cover most, doesn't hurt to oversize.

Knob type on negative works fine, with plenty of room.
Available in top or side post.

DSC02069.jpg

DSC02069.jpg
Don't really want to remove the ground when using ECU's. I don't remember the reason but Bullshark has hounded me until I have removed switching the ground on and off.

DSC02069.jpg
Don't really want to remove the ground when using ECU's. I don't remember the reason but Bullshark has hounded me until I have removed switching the ground on and off.

He's correct. What do you want to power down?