Another engine ouch

I run the quadra on my track car and due to its center bowl and float I never ever have fuel starvation problems. Rarely touch them unless some dirt gets into the idle circuit and even then easy to clean.

One of the happiest days of my life was when I threw a box with 3 spreadbore double pumpers and spare parts in the trash and yes one was an 850 that was always a problem. They were all original side hung floats. No more leaky float adjusters, accel pumps or the other typical Holley problems you have if they sit for a while. Couldn't give a shit how much they were worth

I run the quadra on my track car and due to its center bowl and float I never ever have fuel starvation problems. Rarely touch them unless some dirt gets into the idle circuit and even then easy to clean.

One of the happiest days of my life was when I threw a box with 3 spreadbore double pumpers and spare parts in the trash and yes one was an 850 that was always a problem. They were all original side hung floats. No more leaky float adjusters, accel pumps or the other typical Holley problems you have if they sit for a while. Couldn't give a shit how much they were worth

Your loss. Next time list them in the for sale section.

The Holley 4165 carb was an 800cfm double pumper with mechanical secondaries and manual choke. Fuel bowls have center hung floats with separate fuel inlets (no transfer tube). No way I would buy the spreadbore with non-adjustable floats. That defeats one of the features of Holley carbs.

$(KGrHqJHJBIE7)2JCqFSBPGu9Ku3n!~~60_12.jpg

Totally off-topic, but your comment about fuel starvation brought it to mind. When I first started driving, I had an 84 S-10 4x4 Blazer that my parents had bought new. It had that gutless little POS 2.8L (I think) V6, possibly the worst engine GM ever built. Worn out by about 80k miles, rebuilt, already noticeably down on power right after 100k. Anyway...something was really futzed up with that carb, because if you made a left turn at low speed over just the right banking, the stupid thing would drain out and stall. Drove me nuts, and my dad didn't believe me that it was happening until my mom was with me one day and witnessed it. Never did figure out what was wrong with that carb other than lousy design.

Only QJ-style carb I would use is the Holley spread bore. I'd LOVE to get my hands on the original 850 CFM version with center pivot floats. Very scarce now.

I think I have a Carter AVS on the wall out there....I gotta go look, it maybe a spread bore.....dunno about CFM....but I DO have a Carter 'Strip Kit' in the OEM plastic box....

been a while...

:blush::drink:

AVS is off a Mopar (Air Valve Secondary). Not a spread bore. Carter's spread bore is the Thermo Quad.

TQ, yeh, you right, wasn't the body some sort of black plastic?? been a few years....like 20 for me....:crutches::huh2::cry:

Only QJ-style carb I would use is the Holley spread bore. I'd LOVE to get my hands on the original 850 CFM version with center pivot floats. Very scarce now.

I think I have a Carter AVS on the wall out there....I gotta go look, it maybe a spread bore.....dunno about CFM....but I DO have a Carter 'Strip Kit' in the OEM plastic box....

been a while...

:blush::drink:

AVS is off a Mopar (Air Valve Secondary). Not a spread bore. Carter's spread bore is the Thermo Quad.

TQ, yeh, you right, wasn't the body some sort of black plastic?? been a few years....like 20 for me....:crutches::huh2::cry:

Phenloic resin I think they called it. It had major problems with heat and warping causing all kinds of vacuum leaks.

http://jalopnik.com/252133/thermoquad

Supposedly they made one that actually worked right. It was called a SuperQuad. There is one for sale on E-Bay for a pretty decent price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/carter-ther...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item231c3a1ccf

If I were forced to run a spreadbore manifold, after the Holley Spreadbore with center pivots (800CFM), I would pick the SuperQuad as my alternate choice. Either carb would be a killer on a big block. But I don't think a small block can take the huge gulp of air that the Holley gives. Even with dual accelerator pumps, it would probably stumble badly.

Last edited:
Last edited:
You got a deal. . . .by the way, shipping will be $60. . . .

Put that funny-looking cigarette down son, you're halucinating. :D

:lol: Oh well, it won't fit on your new intake anyway.

Hehe...unfortunately you're right. I didn't find any intakes for a spreadbore that would light my fire. Sorry. It's still a cool carb IMHO. I wonder what it would be like on a factory cast iron 454 intake?

Nice! Hard to find one AT ALL! :eek:

What is it?

Factory aluminum manifold for a big block that takes a spreadbore carb. Most likely a round port manifold, though.

I've been trying to find an aluminum mani that fits under my 70 LS5 hood...other than the "useless for street" torker II, I haven't seen one with oval ports.

Do a search for 1968 or 69 L-36 intake manifold. Its an aluminum, low rise, spreadbore, oval port intake.