Anyone ever adapt a Ford 8.8 IRS to a C3?

yeah! a conversion from the c4 dana 36 rear to the t-birds 8.8 in the c4 vettes would be nice if its something that can be done at a reasonable cost

Honestly, I don't think it will be that hard. Granted, my Vette is an 81, and has the aluminum rear now, so it may be easier to lose the batwing and mount it more like the early rears...its going to take some playing around, but it should be doable. I might even be able to use a machined adapter to bolt it up to the stock batwing.The 8.8 is a great rear (at least in the solid axle version); I was running well over 500rwhp through one in my blown 91 LX 5.0, and that was with 28 spline axles and a stock Traction-Lok diff.

If I remember correctly, that should not be a problem. The CV/axle bolts to the stub flange on the center section. I'll crawl under the Bird tonight and look at it. I MAY be able to get a picture. But I won't be able to get the pic on here till monday or tuesday.

Interested to see what you found under the T-bird. I'm still confused as to the availability of U-joint stub axles for the 8.8.

If you look at the pics I sent you will see what is under the tbird . I just finished the conversion in my sons car .

GEE

If you look at the pics I sent you will see what is under the tbird . I just finished the conversion in my sons car .

GEE

I looked at the two pictures posted and I don't see any axles installed. Are there other pictures?

Look at the first pic posted you can see the drivers side axle installed .

GEE

I have a lot more pics if needed

A shot of the mosler axle shafts before assy ,,,,,,,

GEE

Attachments

• Pc300014.jpg
    Pc300014.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 35
Thanks, I am looking for info on U-joint axles and if U-joint stub axles are available for the 8.8

My son and I did the installation to my son's miata . Buick small block aluminum engine to a t5 trans and 8.8 rear . Started with a supercoupe hsg [cast iron ] and switched to lincoln hsg [alloy] with the posi out of the iron rear . I just posted to show the rear installed in another chassis . We did the project just to make something with really great handling to start with , in great need of the breakfast of champions . The cars is an absolute blast to drive as the v8 weighs less than the 4 banger we took out . I can see no problem if someone wanted to fit one of these rears in a vette , I just see no reason to .

GEE

Attachments

• IMG_2492(2).jpg
    IMG_2492(2).jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 10
  • P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 13
My son and I did the installation to my son's miata . Buick small block aluminum engine to a t5 trans and 8.8 rear . Started with a supercoupe hsg [cast iron ] and switched to lincoln hsg [alloy] with the posi out of the iron rear . I just posted to show the rear installed in another chassis . We did the project just to make something with really great handling to start with , in great need of the breakfast of champions . The cars is an absolute blast to drive as the v8 weighs less than the 4 banger we took out . I can see no problem if someone wanted to fit one of these rears in a vette , I just see no reason to .

GEE

Strenght is the reason. We need something that is cost effective besides Tom's 12 bolt. According to the Ford guys here, the 8.8 is stronger than a 12 bolt. So, need to find one -there was six T-bird in local Pick -a- part here. Ok, now to put the brain ( well I used to have one ) to work.:push:

GEE crammed an 8.8 in his miata :)

Does his car now have a 30/70 weight distribution? :lol: Miatas have the cutest lil diffs I've ever seen.

That there sure is some knee slapper fer sure :bonkers:

The joke is that the Miata is such a little car, and the stock diff is so light, that adding a Ford 8.8 would throw off the weight distribution. Although I guess from your perspective it wouldn't be funny, seeing as how I had to explain it to you.

:withstupid:

The joke is that the Miata is such a little car, and the stock diff is so light, that adding a Ford 8.8 would throw off the weight distribution. Although I guess from your perspective it wouldn't be funny, seeing as how I had to explain it to you.

:withstupid:

I understood what you meant. I even laughted a little. I know you meant it in a good way. It was funny though.:drink:

Thank you so much for the explanation , rotflmao ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you are a veritable fountain of information

GEE

No problem. Have fun driving your cool car.

miata.jpg

Wow My Pic On Da Web ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Shazam !!!!!!

Gee

Dang brutal ,,,,,,,,,,, whats an angel <--------------- serious question

GEE