anyone want to help me with my presentation?

smiley_flameout.gif

Was it the trimmie pipe or the phase detractor that confused you??

:shocking::shocking::p

I remember hearing the term Philly Exp...but CRS set in....please esplain Lucy...

:eek:

please quit posting those blinking black smilies. it does something freaky to my brain. I'm lible to flip out and kill somebody.

i guess i been in too many hi voltage switchyards in my life.

please quit posting those blinking black smilies. it does something freaky to my brain. I'm lible to flip out and kill somebody.

i guess i been in too many hi voltage switchyards in my life.

:shocking::shocking::shocking::shocking: DZZT DZZT DA ZAP!!!!

That movie is "The Final Countdown". Good flick. It's one I have on my laptop.

That one is good...but this one sucks...for you TT since we know how much you like hair bands.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZkllM8znx4[/ame]

Old movie. 74 or so. Lightning storm takes the Carrier Enterprise back to WWII

Hey Bird I got one for you and Jim and Marck.....

ever read my posta about the UNGROUNDED NUCLEAR POWER PLANT???

serious as heart attack......

:shocking::shocking::shocking::shocking::shocking::banghead:

normally a unit transformer is connected delta on gen side to grounded wye on the HV side. The generator is high impedance grounded through a transformer with an impedance connected across the other winding. The high impedance limits ground faults to only a few amps.

With ground faults no threat for damage, the connection to the unit transformer is through isolated phase bus. Each phase bus has a grounded tube around it so there is no possibility of a phase to phase fault.

Jim, could you esplain to me how a single transformer's iron CORE is configured when the input is 3 phase..?? I can't grasp how that would be done to keep the phases from cancelling for 120* and maybe, yes?, drawing too much current on account of it....the thing can't be a EI lamination type thing the way my mind works, single phase....

for Bird...early 80's Walk through metal detectors for airline/industrial/prison type security....had a line of our machines at Duke Power in NCar. somewhere, Nuky plant.....so every so often the whole damn line of them would go off and start ding a linging on their own....no reason, just happened....we shipped whole new units...no go....this when the movie Ghost Busters was only a year-2 old.....

we sent engineers, me as field tech rep, and even a physicist with nuclear background, as well as their plant manager and physicists/engineers....

we spend 3-4 days searching for the cause, come find out it ONLY happend on a cool /dry day....usually winter....but if it was raining, snowing, higher humidity everything was normal....

so one day a guy showed up a bit late for work, getting out of his car in the 5th floor down level, he had a loose exhaust system....reaching for his pipe to look at it, he got a living shit burned outta his arm.....just laying on the ground.....it was one of those ding a ling daze (as we called it)....

SO upon that happening, they found out they entire plant was NOT GROUNDED....the what they say?? 25? 50kv? 3 phase lines coming in overhead off the grid from several hundred miles away...the plant was floating, no ground....

when the head engineer who I shook hands with saying please calll ME, when/if you EVER find out WTF is going on here.....

so a YEAR later he calls and tell me of the plant being ungrounded....

my reaction was stone silence.....he asks hello, you still there??

I said yes, but i'm trying to absorb what you just said....he laughed and said you heard it".....

I asked what in the FUCK you do to ground a nuclear power plant??....

he says get the biggest well digger in Carolina, rig from HELL, drill clean to China, stick a bolt/rod from hell down through it, put a nut on each end, tighten securely and use the grounding strap from HELL ......

:lol::lol:

in those daze, it was known as Goodyear Atomic.....processing plant on the Ohio river...making bomb/plant nuky material fuel rods.....

they had power lines coming in from ALL the mountain tops surrounding the joint, I thought they were OUTGOING lines, and thought it must be a plant the size of the state....NO, they were INCOMING lines cause the old type process they using there needed large amounts of electricity to process the Uraniun into whatever.....

THAT plant was grounded through a gigantic wire mesh burried deep under the entire campus....miles in each direction....the copper was described to me as being about 2" diameter each wire/condustor/strand.....

so they just dug a hole, found the ground plane, tied into it and... case closed....

I LOVED that job, saw some crazy shit out there.....mind opening for sure....

and too boot it was FUN, not so much the travel, but the sites and people....

:cool::smash:

Jim, could you esplain to me how a single transformer's iron CORE is configured when the input is 3 phase..?? I can't grasp how that would be done to keep the phases from cancelling for 120* and maybe, yes?, drawing too much current on account of it....the thing can't be a EI lamination type thing the way my mind works, single phase....

i'm not a transformer expert. There are 3 cores in there but they are connected at the top and bottom. The primary and secondary of each phase are on the same core. The cores are far enough apart to prevent any significant interphase coupling.

I don't know much about how the make the stuff, but mainly how to protect it.

Gene, three phase trannys are wound on a laminated steel core shaped like an E with the ends closed. Ergo, "E" core. (Looks like a sideways 8)

Gene, three phase trannys are wound on a laminated steel core shaped like an E with the ends closed. Ergo, "E" core. (Looks like a sideways 8)

So they wound on the same E/I lamination I know as a typical power transformer?? only the E is alternated back one way and another interleaved and capped with one I between 2 heels of the alternate E lams...

so the other coils are wound on the outside legs?? are there any further extensions to the outside yet further...making maybe 5 legs on the E???

:huh:

So they wound on the same E/I lamination I know as a typical power transformer?? only the E is alternated back one way and another interleaved and capped with one I between 2 heels of the alternate E lams...

so the other coils are wound on the outside legs?? are there any further extensions to the outside yet further...making maybe 5 legs on the E???

:huh:

No.

PICT0008-24.jpg

Yeh, that was my first guess.....but trying to imagine the 3 phases and that flux path is just crazy....

:bonkers::shocking::shocking::shocking::banghead: