Areo ?

brngrhd

Do chin spoilers help that much with areo? Do they aid in cooling the car? Do they make the car more stable at speeds? who makes a good one for a 69?

They are supposed to help keep a high pressure area in front of the rad/condensor to force the air through them. I notice a small improvement at average speeds 35 - 55 with this on hot days.

The last GM one I bought fit like poop. I had to heat it with a heat gun to get the wrinkles out. It was low cost though!

My '72 had a small flange that the OEM was supposed to hang from....

I found a piece of black gardening edge rubber/plastic and cut/ripped the bulges off the edges, shaped it to fit and screwed it home.....

cost?? nearly free....looks?? good as stock....

works well?? I can't tell...

:amazed:

I dropped my rad temps by 30* when I put on this "lip". Its about 2 inches lower than the factory plastic piece. There was enough of a difference to notice at higher speeds after putting it on
DSCF1005.jpg

I dropped my rad temps by 30* when I put on this "lip". Its about 2 inches lower than the factory plastic piece. There was enough of a difference to notice at higher speeds after putting it on
DSCF1005.jpg

I really like the looks of that.... I am not getting hot right now but later down the line i plan on adding a pair of turbos and want a way to get more air in to cool things...... Who makes a cood one that is bolt on? Or am I just better off attaching something to what is under there...... if there is anything there.

DSCF1005.jpg

I really like the looks of that.... I am not getting hot right now but later down the line i plan on adding a pair of turbos and want a way to get more air in to cool things...... Who makes a cood one that is bolt on? Or am I just better off attaching something to what is under there...... if there is anything there.

IMO, the best looking spoiler I have seen is on Alex's vette, Sadistic is his handle here.....made by F Gregg Racing.....they have a site, only a couple hundred bux....thing that stops me is it getting hit like all of them, this POS freebe looks stock but for the money, it gets scraped/hit/destroyed in a parking lot, so what, it's soft enough to not take the glass with it, ....

:surrender:

mine has worn away some but you`ll get great gains in hi speed stability with the cheap factory plastic spoiler....

I made mine from a cardboard mockup. It mounts using the vertical bumper piece holes and two extra holes I drilled closer to the outside

Lower it -- Yes!
Years back, I put the PACE CAR urethane 3 piece unit on my 78- Significant difference in "front end float" at "high q" (thats sorta like speed). And the added bonus it survived all the curbs and rumble strips. May take a bit of alteration -- I don't know. I did that before lowering and the jump in "control of the nose" was equal, step 1 = the chin spoiler, was equal to step 2 = the lowering (at speed).
Just my 2 pence.

Cheers - Jim

Mine ain't real pretty but it works. Made it from an HPDM (HDPM?) commercial roofing reinforcing mat, about the size of a truck mudflap. 2 pieces, 3/16" or so thick, it's stiff enough but will fold nicely over parking stops & the like. Bolted it onto the factory chin spoiler with #8 machine screws & fender washers.
Made a noticable difference in high speed stability (front end float).
One of these days, I want to make another one an inch lower yet.

66481f795fe7e55.jpg

I made mine from a cardboard mockup. It mounts using the vertical bumper piece holes and two extra holes I drilled closer to the outside

what material did you use? can you take some pics for me?

Its fiberglass. After seeing MyBad79's thread about his pace car spoiler ripping off at speed, I may make another one that is a little bit thicker with provisions for some support rods. Ill be testing the current one at some high speeds in a few weeks once I finish installing my new speedo. I hear the recommended break in procedure for autometer speedos is to bring the needle past 100 a few times :D

Heres another pic when it was in bare glass. let me know what you want to see and Ill snap a few pics for you.
DSCF0999.jpg

mine has worn away some but you`ll get great gains in hi speed stability with the cheap factory plastic spoiler....

this one?

http://ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=A2983&dept_id=1435

or is this one better

http://ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=10219&dept_id=1353

I don't know which will look better and perform better on my car

vette006-1.jpg

I've got the fiberglass Pace Car replica spoiler on my '69. I like the looks of it, and the car's high speed stability is very good, A side benefit is that the sides of the spoiler seem to direct the air outward from in front of the wheels, creating a slight low pressure area around the wheels, which helps draw air out of the wheelwells and the brake rotors.

IM001124.jpg

Last edited: