battery disconnect

Fuelie74

I am getting tired of opening up the battery compartment to turn on and off my battery disconnect. Especially when the T tops are back there so, that got me thinking.

Could a normally open solenoid be used a a battery disconnect with long term success? I was thinking the only wire that it wouldn't isolate would be the the one that is switched to power up the solenoid and as long as that was fused it wouldn't be a big deal.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be great!

Yes, I read not long ago about a version of the Ford fender mounted starter solenoid that has a much higher coil resistance, and so is suited for long term 'ON time' use....sorry no numbers...parts house guys worth a damn should know though....

which sorta makes me ask as to why you need it??? you have a battery drain problem, maybe easier to find/fix that....

:surrender::thumbs:

Mount one externally, like between the seats above the console.

which sorta makes me ask as to why you need it??? you have a battery drain problem, maybe easier to find/fix that....
:surrender::thumbs:

No drain problems. I just like the piece of mind when I tuck my Vette in bed for the night that I don't have any worries about electrical fires. A guy from town lost his shop and several cars last year. The fire was said to of started from his 37 Chevy coupe. Just don't want that to be me.

I relocated my battery to the passenger side front fender area but I also use a kill switch. For now it's a $15 AutoZone switch and I have to open the hood everytime I want to get to the switch - for now that's not a big deal because the car sits for so long that I have to use starter fluid to get it started so I have to open the hood anyways :push::footmouth:

Summit/Jegs have remote switches that you operate with a rod that goes thru the firewall. Same design switch would probably work just as good with the battery behind the seat :thumbs:

I saw a photo {Don't remember where} of a vette that the owner
had mounted a battery disconnect switch in the center storage compartment.
It could be operated from the cockpit and did not look out of place.

It looked so good I ordered the switch and am ready to do the install.

Attachments

• Battery Switch.jpg
    Battery Switch.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 9
Another way to look at it, the battery + goes to the starter stud, then a ~10 ga wire to the ign sw......

why bother to wire all that heavy crap 2 ga battery wire with solenoids/etc....

just break the wire from starter+12 to the whole car system RED wire...

a simple toggle switch will do...anything rated 15-20 amps....

here I was, thinking about the class C motor home and the dual battery isolator trick....and the necessity of shorting one diode off the engine battery so as to allow starting/ignition/cranking voltages....

and the obvious solution was a simple lightswitch.....like in a house....

works like a charm....any decent dash/hidden toggle switch can do the same thing....

:1st::shocking: