Bee Jay's lightweight Magnaflow exhaust

Bee Jay

I bought this Magnaflow muffler at the Pomona Swap meet last weekend. It's a dual 2.5" in and dual 2.5" out. The muffler only weights 15lbs. So I decided to replace two 20lb Flowmasters with one 15lb Magnaflow for a weight savings of 25lbs. Only problem is that I'm back to being too loud. But at heavy and wide open throtle, hot damn it sounds good. Once again, everyone thinks it sounds good except me the driver. Way too loud. What do you think of this? I'll try to get a sound clip tomorow.
Bee Jay
12468.jpg
Corvette572.jpg
Corvette583.jpg
Corvette581.jpg
Corvette579.jpg
Corvette580.jpg

Just wonder if it coluld serve the same "mixing" an X-Pipe does for the exhaust.
Any ideas if it has that advantage? Looks cool.
Cheers - Jim

I wish I could replace the stock muffs with something louder that sounded nice BASS note, and NO 1800 rpm DRONE.....

tough order....never found anything I felt good enough to dump a couple hundred bux after....

:crutches:

OK, here is the video. The wind was hell, so the camara had to stay near the building. What do you think?
How do I post a video here?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlA1-JHz7pA[/ame]

Last edited:
What do you think?

Yellow, loud, fast..... life's good :bounce::bounce:

If the noise is not annoying to you then I'd say mission accomplished, it sounds good as far as i can tell from the video and it sure shaved a few pounds off the car.

OK, here is the killer, every car I have ever had with a 'loud' exhaust has suffered my hearing with that 1800 rpm DRONE, really bad in traffic as that seems to be right in the center of a range from 1500-2400 rpm's with the peak there at 1800 or so.....

so the question is, to pull a hill in say 3rd gear, and from inside the car, get a vid of the tach and sound of the muffs.....coupe or vert, no difference AFAIK....

curious what peak is through say nearly idle at 1200 rpm under a slight load, then up through say 3000 rpm....

if not 3rd gear then second, depending on grade and ratios....

:goodevil::amazed::bounce:

What do you think?

Yellow, loud, fast..... life's good :bounce::bounce:

If the noise is not annoying to you then I'd say mission accomplished, it sounds good as far as i can tell from the video and it sure shaved a few pounds off the car.

I'm in the middle of a reupholstery job. The more fatmat/felt/and carpet I put down, the better the exhaust sounds.
Bee Jay

The exhaust was bubbling my paint on my liscnese plate surround. So I installed a plate to protect the paint and I extended the tips a couple of inches. Extending the pipes a couple of inches really made it quieter in the cabin, much quieter. I guess getting the noise source out from under the car really makes a difference.
Bee Jay
Corvetteexhaust001.jpg
Corvetteexhaust003.jpg
Corvetteexhaust007.jpg

I bought this Magnaflow muffler at the Pomona Swap meet last weekend. It's a dual 2.5" in and dual 2.5" out. The muffler only weights 15lbs. So I decided to replace two 20lb Flowmasters with one 15lb Magnaflow for a weight savings of 25lbs. Only problem is that I'm back to being too loud. But at heavy and wide open throtle, hot damn it sounds good. Once again, everyone thinks it sounds good except me the driver. Way too loud. What do you think of this? I'll try to get a sound clip tomorow.
Bee Jay
Corvette579.jpg

I'm curious what a pre-muffler plenum would do. After I get my engine together I was going to do some exhaust work on the '69, including adding additional plenum volume before the mufflers. Theoretically (I say that because I haven't had the opportunity to try this yet) the additional volume temporarily stores/absorbs the exhaust mass pulses, converting the flow into your muffler as more of a constant/steady flow, rather than a pulsed flow. Steady flow should be easier to muffle than pulsed flow.
This seems to be somewhat similar to the pre-throttlebody storage/tuning plenums on many vehicles. This reduces the pulsed flow through the air cleaner inlet, reducing induction noise.
I'm considering also adding some stainless steel wool in the internal periphery of the plenum just to add some "free" muffling.
All theory at the moment, but just an engineering experiment that interests me at the moment.

:drink::crylol:

seriously: did you really think it was going to be acceptable for long distance or daily driving when you welded this thing in place ??

LOL

:D:D:D

I plugged up one side of the muffler and the sound got really low, and the engine would rev freely. So I'm looking for a Z06 exhaust cut out and tips to install. It will be a single exhaust at high vacuum situations and a full dual exhaust at low vacuum and wot. Anyone know where I can find a Z06 muffler that someone doesn't want. I only need the cutout and tips. I could install a vacuum interupter switch and go from mild to wild anytime I want.
Bee Jay