Billet Air filter lids

Stingxray

Ok:
Please Help me decide:ack: . Attached are the 3 cad programs we've come up with for the EFI filter lids. Witch one ? Or perhaps Your suggestions on something completely different & unique.
Will take everyone's advice and use the Original FI valve covers. Thanks for the help everyone ........... GRA3

top1.jpg

top2.jpg

top3.jpg

top4.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

Ok:
Please Help me decide:ack: . Attached are the 3 cad programs we've come up with for the EFI filter lids. Witch one ? Or perhaps Your suggestions on something completely different & unique.
Will take everyone's advice and use the Original FI valve covers. Thanks for the help everyone ........... GRA3

WITCH one?? pick the one that's most evil.....:rofl:

but seriously, I like the first one....

:cool:

I only see 2 designs, I vote for the 2nd. Is the one w/ the bowties the 3rd? Since that's an IDA manifold and not a hilborn injection.....

Yes......the plain with the bowie is the third design (On Webers... but... you get the idea) . It's got a clean look to it. But... The first photo closely matches the manifold's font (Hilborn Lettering) and the Valve cover's fin lines. It would be nice to see it "ON" the car before the decision. :goodevil::confused2::friends:

I like the Hilborn script on the 1st but the italic EFI doesn't do it for me. Maybe just HILBORN on it or better put injection instead of EFI there. A throwback to the original Mech FI.

I like the last one. The only thing I would do different is giive a little space between the f and u in "fuel" and a little space between the i and n in "Injection". A small space like the Hilborn logo.

I like the last one. The only thing I would do different is giive a little space between the f and u in "fuel" and a little space between the i and n in "Injection". A small space like the Hilborn logo.

Yep...this is the best one.

Great ideas

You've all had great Input here.... Thanks . My Buddy Mark (the Machinist) is very patient, I think it's gonna turn out much better than we'd imagined. Hope he doesn't grow tired and say " It's gonna cost you $$$ more. :ack: I think the raised machined fins are do-able , but not into the lettering. To link the letters into the fined straight lines, It would have to be ball milled together rather raised fin. It would take considerably more Machining to have raised lettering with the fin's. But I'm gonna ask him anyway. Cross your fingers:thumbs:

I thought the white surface was all the same level and the lines were just cut in? That would be easy to do. It looks like your machine guy is using MasterCAM. There is a "pencil" cut feature in MasterCAM that will cut that line easy.

Your right BB ..that's how it's layed out now (all ball milled indented)... But another member suggested starting with a thicker piece and milling down to raise the lines like cast fin's... & original valve cover's. Lots more cutting though . Don't ya just dig CNC !:yahoo:

Progress

Hilborn Billet filter attachment's are done. Next are the bases ....and then the Tops. The Fins will be more money ..but not much more....:noworry:

Hilborntop.jpg
Hilborntop1.jpg
Hilborn2.jpg

Getting close!

Here is the final design. We ended up Mimicking the Hilborn Catalog's look. Also tried the "Fin" idea ..... matching the vintage valve covers, but I thought it looked like the old " Cal-Custom design....and not to my taste. Especially the way the top lid looked. Much thicker than the bottom & just look out of proportion :huh:So were going with these fonts and pocket grove lines. What do ya think?

FITOP.jpg

Here is the final design. We ended up Mimicking the Hilborn Catalog's look. Also tried the "Fin" idea ..... matching the vintage valve covers, but I thought it looked like the old " Cal-Custom design....and not to my taste. Especially the way the top lid looked. Much thicker than the bottom & just look out of proportion :huh:So were going with these fonts and pocket grove lines. What do ya think?

FITOP.jpg

I called Linda over to look, as she is MUCHO more artistic then me...and we thing that post #6 there with the HILBORN in a script that needs cleaned up and shaped to be easy readable.....put in place of the Hilborn above would be the ticket...Changing fonts on the names is a bit much, IMO....

I love the classic Fuel Injection above, just change the script on the name, and i'ts a winner....

:yahoo:

Decision

The decision to go with the opposing fonts was inspired by the catalog ...Below.
I think the Hilborn in " Hood ornament" font's was hard to read also. Good Input ....Thanks :D:)

IMG_2347.jpg