C1 body / chassis mating

pcf_mark

I have had my '60 apart about 9 years so my memory is a little dim. I took the body off the chassis to restore the car. I want to paint the car on the chassis (these things move all over the place) but I want the minimum parts on the frame to get over sprayed and dust etc crapping them up. This is the only c1 I have ever worked on so my experience is thin.

What are the minimum parts I need to install that I can not go back and put on later?

Fuel lines
Brake lines
Rad support
?

Front suspension is an assembly that bolts in
Rear is leaf springs and that all bolts in later
Obviously engine and transmission can go in at any time
The steering box has to be done before the engine goes in

Hi

Just a idea, might not be a good one :

Put a plastic over the chassis ( one of this thin plstic sheets you can buy to paint your rooms roofs etc ( to put on the floor or hang on the walls etc ).
Then install the body . This should wrap your complete drive train for painting.

It should be easy to just tear the plastic out once finished. It would only be held at the body mounts.

Rgds. Günther

I have done that before and it works ok. The toughest part is the folds in the plastic hold dirt that comes out at the wrong time because you can never get them clean enough. Also the suspension needs to move etc. and it is hard to wrap it well enough but still let is move. The last time I did this with tyhe frame wrapped I ended up tearing it all off before paint and doing a massive re-wrap and tape job. I am trying to combine two paint jobs at the same time to save some labor and material but I do not have old car's suspension done yet.

I am up to:
brake lines
fuel lines
steering column
steering box

Thanks - keep the tips coming.

There is a product available that you spray on the surfaces you want to protect and simply wash away with water after you are done painting. I think a generic term would be aqua mask. Call a paint and body supply shop and ask them.