C3-Jeep Steering Gear Conversion

Jeep steering box

If anyone is looking for the 99-04 jeep box, look in your local Pick and Pull. Several showed up here in the Pick and Pull from the Cash for Clunkers program run by the government. Seemed like they sure junked some nice vehicles. I got one at 1/2 price day for $25.

Don

I've been thinking about this mod, and I have a couple of questions.

First, let me see if I understand this. If I make this mod, this is what I need - also, I have a 72 with power steering.

1) A new universal coupler from Borgeson to connect column to jeep box
2) A 1999-2004 gear box from a Jeep grand cherokee
3) The adapter plates - I sent the dxf file to machine shop for a quote.
4) A pitman arm (GM # 7814221) from a old chevelle
5) A drag link from a C3 with manual steering, or an adapter like the one Eklers sells.

Is that all I need?

I understand the column needs to be 'collapsed' a bit - can this be done while the column is in the car? Can anyone describe the procedure?

I'm not exactly clear on what modifications need to be done to the jeep gear box. It's said that it should be done by a machine shop, but it only looks like it's expanding the 4 holes? What does the machine shop need to do to the jeep box?

I can't open the dxf file, so I don't know what all it entails. Does it include the taping of the 3 holes? should I ask the chop doing the waterjeting of the adapters to do the taping? Or, have the machine shop modding the gearbox do it?

Thanks!
Matt

First, let me see if I understand this. If I make this mod, this is what I need - also, I have a 72 with power steering.

5) A drag link from a C3 with manual steering, or an adapter like the one Eklers sells.

Is that all I need?

I understand the column needs to be 'collapsed' a bit - can this be done while the column is in the car? Can anyone describe the procedure?

I'm not exactly clear on what modifications need to be done to the jeep gear box. It's said that it should be done by a machine shop, but it only looks like it's expanding the 4 holes? What does the machine shop need to do to the jeep box?

I can't open the dxf file, so I don't know what all it entails. Does it include the taping of the 3 holes? should I ask the chop doing the waterjeting of the adapters to do the taping? Or, have the machine shop modding the gearbox do it?

Thanks!
Matt

First off, Welcome to the motley crew....

others can answer better than I can on some of this, but you shopping list looks accurate....

and to collapse the column, just hit it with a hammer and 2x4 to not mess up the end.....3 lbs hand sledge should do nicely...

the rest sounds correct from what I have read, but I did my own rack 9 years ago....so never did a Jeep box setup....

:drink:

Is that all I need?

Thanks!
Matt

You list looks complete, you do need the plates as well as spacers. The plates and spacers are bolted to the gear with 12mm bolts (using the 4 original Jeep mounts). The plates are mounted on the opposite side from the original Jeep mounts, this is the reason for the spot faces on the back of the mounting ears. The drawing below will show you how to machine the gearbox. As far as the plates go, I would not attach this gear to the frame with the 3/8 fasteners that the original gear was attached with. I would use at least Grade 8 7/16" bolts. The Jeep gear with servo really increases twist on the attachment, I don't trust smaller bolts.

44859255fdc8a3.jpg

448559ee36d9d9.jpg

4489df9904577f.jpg

4489350f1f22bb.jpg

Thanks guys!

I sent the DXF (thanks again for creating it!) file to a place by me that does waterjet fabrication (www.sanmarcoswaterjet.com) - and here's what I got back.

Qty 1 set – 2 steering adapter plates, from 1/2" thick mild steel, with (4) .500" holes and (3) 7/16-20 tapped holes

$91.92 set – material, cutting, and tapping

I don't know how competitive that price is, but it doesn't seem unreasonable. I then asked if some of that was setup, and what it might be for a multiple set order - I then got this.

Yes, part of that is setup. If you ordered 5 sets, I could get the price closer to $50.00 / set (not including tax).

This sounds even better! So I'm wondering if anyone might be interested in joining in for a group purchase? I will also post a thread on CF, and DC to ask there. If it looks like others will join, I will wait and put in my order on Feb 14th.

I'd be interested.

I've already done the Jeep box mod but I bought a complete kit from somewhere (can't remember where) and the adapters were about the only thing that let it down.

Mashman, Have you found the pitman arm yet? I found someone a while back that could get them for about $30. Let me know if you need the name, I'll try and find it.

Jeep box and the pitman arm for sale

I was all about doing this conversion and stuff got in the way. Then I found a rebuilt OEM steering box for super cheep. I am going ahead with the direct replacement. If anyone is interested in the pitman arm and the jeep steering box, let me know and shoot me an offer. Actual shipping cost. I am in the Miami, FL area.

I was all about doing this conversion and stuff got in the way. Then I found a rebuilt OEM steering box for super cheep. I am going ahead with the direct replacement. If anyone is interested in the pitman arm and the jeep steering box, let me know and shoot me an offer. Actual shipping cost. I am in the Miami, FL area.

IMO, that is a mistake, but best of luck with it.....

I would not sell the other stuff, until you sure you happy.....

:amazed:;)

Make sure it's really "rebuilt". There are a lot of them being sold that are rebuilt by putting new seals and a paint job on them.

size of hole in chevelle pitman arm

I finished modifying my jeep box and have it mounted, and after receiving a pitman arm in the mail yesterday i tried to install and attach my c2 manual drag link.

The tapered hole in the 7814221 pitman arm is larger than the one in my old corvette pitman, and it doesn't look like it will tighten up completely.

Anyone else have this trouble? I believe my pitman was an unmolested original, and the tapered hole size is approx the same as the dimensions given for the speedway motors arm.
I'm also assuming that the stud diameter didn't change through the years?

I could make a tapered shim out of some shim stock to get it together.

thanks for the help in advance, jason

Last edited:
The small hole in the 221 pitman arn should be about .450-.460*. I have done a few of these and never had any problem.

Just looked at Speedway, the arm they advertise is .580 it the top of the hole. That's not an A body arm. More like a Impala arm.

*EDIT: My measurement SHOULD have been .550-.560. Sorry for the confusion, my bad!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info

I bought it off of ebay (advertised as a chevelle arm from the vegas guy) and the taper hole measures .560 on the small side.

I will go back to them about this and get another, i guess.

Jason

well the guy on ebay says all of his 7814221 arms in stock have the .560 diameter (small side) tapered hole.

i guess my only option is to make a tapered sleeve to take up the slack - i did come across one guy on cf (has a silver midyear coupe) that had to do this on his pitman arm. but he didn't give a casting number for what he used.

at least this thread can give a warning to others to verify the tapered hole size before buying.

*** UPDATE: i was able to make a "cone" of .015" shim stock to fix my problem, so the tapered hole size wasn't that far off. maybe my problem was an over-tolerance issue from the factory? anyway, if the small hole on the taper of the 7812441 arm is more than about .535", you may run out of threads on the stud.

Last edited:
The Borgeson Ujoint style is PN 114350 and the rag joint style is PN 055043. I think you can get both through Summit.