Carb Question

WhiteShadow89158

Hey everyone, i'm finally back in mass so i'm trying to pump out some work on the car and first things first is the carb. The one on there now is a holly the the P.O. put on to go to the basic fuel sytem, i want to take it off and re-connect the comp. My buddy gave me an extra rochester Q-jet so i was trying to tinker around with it to see if it would fit and connect right up. I shortly discoverd the electric plug was too big for it and so i put a halt on the installation. The carb # is 17085290, can someone please tell me what car this came out of? Thanks

1985 Chevy with a stick. Probably, but not necessarily a truck.

thanks bird. i was browsing through ebay and found a new one with a lifetime warrenty for 200 bucks so i think i'm just going to go with that. seems like a damn good deal.

thanks bird. i was browsing through ebay and found a new one with a lifetime warrenty for 200 bucks so i think i'm just going to go with that. seems like a damn good deal.

for what engine ??? I was very happy with the $270 "auto zone" Edelbrock 1405 on my old 350SB.... great carb, runs right out of the box.. not sure if I still have it in the for sale section but $200 plus shipping and the carb and intake is yours.. I'll include intake gaskets :)

What type of holley is it? I would personally work on getting the holley set up correctly. I can't imagine a q-jet being better than a correctly set up holley. If you're gonna pick up a new one go for a mechanical secondary holley. (unless you are concerned with gas mileage.) The problem with holleys is that most people don't want to take the time to understand them.

i've read some pretty good reviews about q-jets if you tune them correctly. theres a bunch of parts missing from the holly and it deffenitly needs to be rebuilt from the looks of it and i'm novice at best when it comes to carbs. I just thought it would be easier to just drop on the stock carb and plug it in and not have to worry about the comp.

i've read some pretty good reviews about q-jets if you tune them correctly. theres a bunch of parts missing from the holly and it deffenitly needs to be rebuilt from the looks of it and i'm novice at best when it comes to carbs. I just thought it would be easier to just drop on the stock carb and plug it in and not have to worry about the comp.

If you are going to buy a new caburetor, they will all require minimal tuning out of the box (Holley, Edelbrock, qjet, etc).

Yes, you can get qjets running well if you know how to tune it, but running better than a holley or some other newer technology carb? I doubt it. I am sure you will get many conflicting opinions when it comes to this subject. When it was new carburetor time for me, I ditched the qjet and went with holley and never looked back.

If you are going to buy a new caburetor, they will all require minimal tuning out of the box (Holley, Edelbrock, qjet, etc).

Yes, you can get qjets running well if you know how to tune it, but running better than a holley or some other newer technology carb? I doubt it. I am sure you will get many conflicting opinions when it comes to this subject. When it was new carburetor time for me, I ditched the qjet and went with holley and never looked back.

Holley is very popular, ease of tune, and then large flow rates, good for drag racing,......however, years ago a buddy worked for GEICO, settling inside claims....one thing he picked up on real quick, was that the vast majority of the fire claims across this desk....HOLLEY CARBS were the cause, from all the field investigations.....ever since then I have paid attention to what I see at car shows, and sure enough, it's rare to see a Holley and NO evidence of a fuel leak on the mani/lines///whatever....

just by the numbers.....:bonkers::shocking:

Holley is very popular, ease of tune, and then large flow rates, good for drag racing,......however, years ago a buddy worked for GEICO, settling inside claims....one thing he picked up on real quick, was that the vast majority of the fire claims across this desk....HOLLEY CARBS were the cause, from all the field investigations.....ever since then I have paid attention to what I see at car shows, and sure enough, it's rare to see a Holley and NO evidence of a fuel leak on the mani/lines///whatever....

Interesting. I was very careful about making sure all the fuel leaks were gone after I got it set up, but they were only in the lines where I forgot to seal the threads. Where were all these leaks that you are referring to coming from? Were any of them coming out of the actual carburetor that couldn't be fixed with new seals?

Whenever you install ANY carburetor, fuel pump, filter, whatever you should check for fuel leaks.

I AGREE I am playing with Q jets and hollys and the only leaks I get is when I screw up.

Interesting. I was very careful about making sure all the fuel leaks were gone after I got it set up, but they were only in the lines where I forgot to seal the threads. Where were all these leaks that you are referring to coming from? Were any of them coming out of the actual carburetor that couldn't be fixed with new seals?

Whenever you install ANY carburetor, fuel pump, filter, whatever you should check for fuel leaks.

I have always been a GM guy. Most of my cars since i was kid were Chevy V8s with the quads. I have only had one that needed rebuilding on an 84 Z28 305HP.
I keep my cars for years because from the 283 through my 350s I have gotten 160,000 plus without an engine rebuild.
Stay with the quad and have it tuned by a good carb guy.
That Z28 with a new computer and carb rebuild would kick the crap out of my 81 Vette with all the California junk on it.
I still love the looks, ride and dependability of my Vette. I'll own it when I die and leave the beauty to my Son or Grandson.