Cell Phone Opinions

Stpman

Hey Guys
I'm working in Ohio for the next few months and I need to know what the best "pay as you go" cell phone plan there is (roaming charges will kill me to use my home cell here). AT&T and Verison both have plans where you buy a phone and pay $50/mth for unlimited Voice & Data, the difference between the two is AT&T offers text and calling to Canada in the plan (Southern Ontario is home) the cost of the phones is close (AT&T is cheaper by $20)

Which one is the better of the 2 or are they the same then cost would be the deciding factor

Last edited:
Where are you in Ohio? I'm north of Cincinnati and it's pretty much Verizon or AT&T as far as choices. Coverage for both (in southern Ohio) is pretty good.

I have Verizon and they really try to lock you in for service. I've had a couple of issues with them and they pretty much tell you to take a flying leap. My girlfriend has AT&T and pays less and with no contract.

Where are you in Ohio? I'm north of Cincinnati and it's pretty much Verizon or AT&T as far as choices. Coverage for both (in southern Ohio) is pretty good.

I have Verizon and they really try to lock you in for service. I've had a couple of issues with them and they pretty much tell you to take a flying leap. My girlfriend has AT&T and pays less and with no contract.

Staying in Findlay and working in Leipsic
Does AT&T use a sim card in their phones?

Last edited:
I have an iPhone from AT&T. Seems to work pretty well as far as coverage, but it's not what I'd call cost effective. When I was working in Canada I had to get an add-on plan to cover the cost of the calls. And forget about text or email. Stupid expensive.

AT&T's service is pretty good- no problems with that side at all. And they do have some phones that take SIM cards
I'm not sure, that for short term use, just getting a reloadable phone at someplace like Wal-Mart might be the cheapest way. .

If you have a phone that takes a SIM card and is unlocked that's all you need ... just buy the card from AT&T for like $20 and you're good to go, we've just done this last month for a buddy who visited.
Now, if you don't have a unlocked phone check the local craigslist...might be a better deal than a new phone that AT&T sells.

Staying in Findlay and working in Leipsic
Does AT&T use a sim card in their phones?

I have at&t pay as you go. got my phone at walmart, I think its a droid not sure but pretty cool phone. Anyways my pay as you go plan is 60.00 month unlimited call and text. Yes it has a SIM card, I do my payment with credit card on at&t website.

I talked to them some more tonight and found out that because the phone I have is a smart phone (Blackberry 9000) I would have to add a data plan to the $50/ month making the monthly charge $85 and I still need to unlock the BB. I can get a phone (not a smart phone) starting at $20 up to $100 that I could talk/text/e-mail and for .10/min I can call home and may even be able to lower that if I don't need 500 Mb for the data (I think last month I used under 100 Mb at home)

if you have time to find a deal on craigslist and drive there to buy the used phone then that's probably the bet deal for you.... the AT&T sim card is $30 and that is incl one month calls and text.... $20 was the chepest option but did not include intl text or internet... the $30 option still did not include internet but calls and text worked just fine.... I don't know why they would try to make you buy a $50 plan plus data .... BS.....

I have a few phones here, one of them is a Motorola Razr that is almost new, I would give it away but unfortunately it is a Sprint phone and they really suck....

if you have time to find a deal on craigslist and drive there to buy the used phone then that's probably the bet deal for you.... the AT&T sim card is $30 and that is incl one month calls and text.... $20 was the chepest option but did not include intl text or internet... the $30 option still did not include internet but calls and text worked just fine.... I don't know why they would try to make you buy a $50 plan plus data .... BS.....

I have a few phones here, one of them is a Motorola Razr that is almost new, I would give it away but unfortunately it is a Sprint phone and they really suck....

He told me the reason for the data plan was that it was a smart phone, apparently it's AT&T's policy with smart phones.
Just looked at Sprint, it would cost $70 - $100 for the same plan with sprint

Last edited:
He told me the reason for the data plan was that it was a smart phone, apparently it's AT&T's policy with smart phones.
Just looked at Sprint, it would cost $70 - $100 for the same plan with sprint

do you want a data plan ? if you just buy one of their phones for $29.95 then you can use their $25 plan with 250 minutes ... it's on their website.... strange hat they don't seem to offr the $30 option that my buddy bought last month... maybe have to ask for that.... the smart phone thing is BS in my opinion, once you got the sim card, what do they care wht phone you use it in ???

Be very careful with ATT, they lie to you in a heartbeat.
Have had them for about 10 years with a smartphone with simcard, but we are grandfathered in to not have to pay the extra data charge as long as we don't upgrade the phones. If we put our simcards into another smartphone, they pick the info transmitted by the phone and either shut you off or bill you the additional.
Got one for our daughter with $10.00/mo unlimited texting and her additional text billing was over 700 bucks a month. They wouldn't acknowledge having ordered the 10 buck a month plan.
If going with them, just be ready for the billing BS. On the prepaid setup, you might just instantly end up without a working phone.

Friends around here use MetroPCS, pay by the month (50 bucks with data) cut and dry, no bait and switch bs. Don't pay by the due date, they shut you off, go in and pay and you're instantly back on. Will probably be going with them after our current contract is up.
Don't know what the coverage in Ohio is, but might be worth checking out, after all they use att towers.
International calls are .02/minute supposedly.

http://www.metropcs.com/metro/browse/feature/cat610035/cat610036/0ILD

Thanks for the link but they don't have coverage up here
What boggles my mind is the AT&T plan states unlimited nationwide calling including Canada &Mexico but the guy at Best Buy kept telling me I had to add international calling or pay $.10/min for calls