Collision Repair These Days.

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Someone rear ended my wife's 2021 Honda CR-V 4 months ago. Not bad, drivable but the hatch was not operable. So I took it to the body shop where they estimated the repairs at $6500. Progressive was the insured's company. When we dropped the car off, Progressive had a rental car for us. Everything looked kike it was going well.

The body shop sent the estimate about a week later. The shop is about a mile from my house and I have worked with them before. So, I stopped by and found out that it might take a couple of months to get the car fixed because that can't get parts (for just about any brand). Well it ended up taking 4 months to repair because of parts. The repair was $10,000 and the rental car for 4 months was probably $5-6000.

Last month our insurance went up about 25-30%. I have had insurance with State Farm for 30 years. My wife was not at fault for the accident. I called my insurance agent and was told that the cost of repairs has gone through the roof. I couldn't argue since that is exactly my experience. Also, I was told that the cost of repairing cars has increased because of collision avoidance devices and associated hardware. All this has to be reset by a factory tech with proprietary software (in my our case it was a $400 Honda tech) to reset the software for basically a fender bender.

I don't get it. You have to pay extra for expensive collision avoidance devices when you buy a car and when it's repaired. All this so some idiot can check out their Facebook page while driving?

Also, Carfax reports the collision and the car is depreciated because of it. It's called a "Diminished Value Claim". Guess what, Progressive told me that they don't pay that.

Who makes these regulations that require me to buy stuff I don't want. I guess I'm lucky it wasn't a Tesla.

Well, that sounds pretty bad. Covid messed up everything, supply chain, et cetera.

I think Farmers are in a big fight with dealers over not being able to repair their own equipment.