Computer guys

Stpman

Hey guys I have a problem with my laptop with popups at the lower corners of the screen. How do I get rid of them? I've tried a couple different virus scanners and Malwarebytes (in both safe mode and normal), I tried changing a setting in IE and i still have these stupid popups I don't have this problem with my laptop at work while on the same sites:surrender:

I dunno either, for ME, it seems that every damn program on this machine wants to go online for a update 5x/week each.....everyone from Adope, Java, Norton, on down the list...

:goodevil:

I have always had good luck using spybot and malwarebytes. If they didn't work then you need to identify the adware that was installed and manually clean it out. You can do a google search with the adware name and someone will have written up a walk through of which files to delete and what lines in your registry need to go.

Also - go to your control panel and click on add/remove programs. Check that list to see if the adware program is listed. There is a good chance that it isn't but it is worth a shot.

And make sure you are running a current version of IE. Or switch to firefox or opera.. or chrome.. anything but IE.

Last edited:
For some odd reason, my bank will not accept FF , so I use IExploder for it alone, FF is my browser, I tried to install Chrome long ago, and it had a conflict/whatever and wouldn't install, so I deleted it....FF works grand for everything BUT the bank....BTW, I have not written but less than a dozen checks in almost a decade now.....PP and online bill paying....GOD, I"m lazy.....:yahoo::p

.. anything but IE.

Totally agree. I use Firefox with the NoScript addon which blocks all those pesky popups.
And I use ESET Smart Security to warn me if an application tries to connect to the internet.

Here's a couple of tools that will let you see what's running on your system and in the registry. Just be careful if you decide to make any changes.
Like pancake said, if you find something that looks suspicious, a Google search will show if others have the same problem.

Process Explorer - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

HiJackThis - http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

Thanks too, you reminded me I need to update those programs. I got versions from 2007. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, run a few scans with Spybot cleaned some stuff off but the popups are still there. I also have been fighting a re-direct problem, evry so often when I click on a link it sends me somewhere else.

Helps to know what the popups say.
If you're getting redirects, it's probably something serious and possibly will get worse each reboot.
Start saving your data.
Then try to go to safe mode and restore to the earliest date you can, then run all the scanners in safe mode.

If you have saved a previous image, that's the best by far.

Thanks guys, run a few scans with Spybot cleaned some stuff off but the popups are still there. I also have been fighting a re-direct problem, evry so often when I click on a link it sends me somewhere else.

What version of IE are you running?

I did a quick search and found that the latest redirect PIA is the google redirect virus. Here's how to remove it: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370676,00.asp

Last edited:
Helps to know what the popups say.
If you're getting redirects, it's probably something serious and possibly will get worse each reboot.
Start saving your data.
Then try to go to safe mode and restore to the earliest date you can, then run all the scanners in safe mode.

If you have saved a previous image, that's the best by far.

They vary depending on the page I'm on, some on the right look like cell phones and the ones on the left are usually download now or won't support the video etc
running either IE 8 or 9

Last edited: