Corroded fuel bowls?

pcf_mark

I took a 390 cfm (small 600) Holley apart last night for my Dad because it was dribbling fuel out the boosters at idle and puffing smoke. I assumed the needle and seat was fouled up with dirt.

When I took the bowls off the actual plating was flaking off and the bowl is corroding. Completely shot. Has anyone seen this before? The carb is only two years old but sits for periods of time. We have at least 10% ethanol all year round.

When I first got Ol' Red, it wouldn't start. PO said he thought it had blown head gaskets since he'd tried ether to start it. I pulled both heads, new gaskets (I didn't see anything wrong with the ones that were on there), got it all back together and still no start. Pulled the top off the front Edelbrock carb- it was GREEN inside and everything was stuck.

Bottom line is that I suspect the gas caused the corrosion. I know that it'll screw up the old style rubber fuel line, that ethanol crap just eats it up. From your description, I'd say that's what you have going too.

When I first got Ol' Red, it wouldn't start. PO said he thought it had blown head gaskets since he'd tried ether to start it. I pulled both heads, new gaskets (I didn't see anything wrong with the ones that were on there), got it all back together and still no start. Pulled the top off the front Edelbrock carb- it was GREEN inside and everything was stuck.

Bottom line is that I suspect the gas caused the corrosion. I know that it'll screw up the old style rubber fuel line, that ethanol crap just eats it up. From your description, I'd say that's what you have going too.

Kinda makes sense in that is exactly what the green weenies want, to destroy old cars.....so what else to do but bow to ADM and put alky in the tank....

gets worse fuel economy, higher costs, runs food up, not nearly as efficient as sugar cane, but well it's all BS anyway except for Brazil, they can grow sugar cane like crazy....

....:amazed::cussing:

I took a 390 cfm (small 600) Holley apart last night for my Dad because it was dribbling fuel out the boosters at idle and puffing smoke. I assumed the needle and seat was fouled up with dirt.

When I took the bowls off the actual plating was flaking off and the bowl is corroding. Completely shot. Has anyone seen this before? The carb is only two years old but sits for periods of time. We have at least 10% ethanol all year round.

Contact Holley.
I had a new 750 that did the same thing, kept corroding and flaking and clogging up. I called Holley, they explained that they had a bad batch of metal, too low a zinc content or some other such stuff. They shipped me a new 750 free of charge based solely on the numbers on the air horn of the affected carb. and didn't even want the old carb. back. :hi:

Thanks I'll give Holley a shot. It is a few years old but always worth a try.

If the numbers you give them match the numbers of the bad production batch, you will score a brand new carburetor free of charge. They even upgraded mine to a shiny one.

I don't exactly recall what it was the tech dept. told me... I thought it was zinc but could be wrong. Anyway they had a bad batch and produced a bunch of bad carbs. that did what was described above. The good thing is that they made good on their booboo.

I was a bit disgruntled because I paid 2x to have the carb. pulled and repaired before I got a hold of Holley but I could not hold Holley responsible for that. I considered myself lucky for getting a shiny new replacement unit.

Thanks again. Holley is replacing this carb! They asked for the numbers off the air horn and then gave us a return number and address to ship it to. Once they receive it they will send us a new one. A few days of down time to save some $.

Woo hoo!

Is it ok since it was for Jeep? At least a Jeep with a Holley 4 bbl!