cutting up my 90 vette

The firewall, windshield frame & front floor board are is ready to come out now. Everything lifts clear of the frame.

bodylift003.jpg

bodylift001.jpg

bodylift002.jpg

today I cut out the foot area of the floor boards and the firewall. so the car is about 10 cuts from being reduced to a rolling frame.

cutfloor2001.jpg

cutfloor2007.jpg

cutfloor2004.jpg

cutfloor2002.jpg

cutfloor2003.jpg

I DO hope that your CLEAR title and VIN Tag plus other numbers that are never checked.....

are preserved for sale.....one way or another, in the future, they are more valuable than the car.....

serious.....this shit is done all the time....all you need is tags and title....

:nuts:;)

I DO hope that your CLEAR title and VIN Tag plus other numbers that are never checked.....

are preserved for sale.....one way or another, in the future, they are more valuable than the car.....

serious.....this shit is done all the time....all you need is tags and title....

:nuts:;)

what do you mean? I have the title to the car, all drivetrain and suspension is going into my 82 vette which will only cost me 88.00 to register verses this car costing almost 2,000 to register due to all the back fee's and a lien on it.

If you were to completely cut down the A & B pillars and stretch frame 1.8 inches and stretch the drive shaft 1.8 inches aside from possible c3 floor mods why couldn't a c4 frame be adapted to a c3?

Even with the a 7 b pillars removed it still seems to be a much stronger frame then the c3. Maybe a trans tunnel mod could make clearance for the C beam?

I've seen fieros stretched for kit cars, so what are major obstacles in stretching a vette frame between the doors and if in that are it is wider then a c3 frame could the rails be moved in so a c3 body would slip over the rails?

I know body mounts would need to be welded in place but the rear frame rail could be modified so no interference is caused from the floor pan in that area.

I have seen a 3rd gen f-body guy hasck his whole rear floor pan to get c4 suspension in, the c4 frame somewhat resembles a c3 frame if the floor pans, riser and a & b pilars are cut off.

vetteframe1.jpg

vetteframe6.jpg

I think it could be done. The end result would probably be better than putting the C4 suspension stuff on a C3 frame. There are a couple of builders that have converted C4's to C2's. I suspect that they use the C4 doors with a C2 skin. The ones I have seen in person look pretty good.

Hey Jeff, if you get a spare moment some time would you be able to put the rear aluminum bolt-on frame section on a scale? When I was redoing my C3 frame I was always curious if I should have tried to adapt the C4 rear section onto mine, as the rear section of a C3 is a pretty flimsy looking structure.

Thanks.

Hey Jeff, if you get a spare moment some time would you be able to put the rear aluminum bolt-on frame section on a scale? When I was redoing my C3 frame I was always curious if I should have tried to adapt the C4 rear section onto mine, as the rear section of a C3 is a pretty flimsy looking structure.

Thanks.

It's pretty heavy even though aluminum. cut mine up in 3 sections for scrap. It's in my back yard but I can weigh it. But I venture to say a easy 40lbs

If it was just the 3 pieces I cut up my scale came up 41-43 lbs

Thanks. Yeah, that part apparently is a bit heavier than I would have guessed.

Makes me wonder why Chevrolet didn't just put 40 punds of cheap steel back there rather than going to the expense of aluminum.

Probably a lighter better solution for fuel tank protection and impacts. Its actually each corners that are super heavy, they each weigh about 17-19lbs each. But the center section weighs 4-6lbs. If it were made out of steel to do what this does that would probably weigh a easy 100lbs.

There isn't a conventional impact bar mounted to it, there is only the honeycomb absorber. then in later years the honeycomb was replaced with a foam piece. So I would say for what it is and does 40lbs is a light weight alternative.

Last edited:
Ohhh - one man's trash could be another man's diffuser.
(Or at least a mold for one.)

But, then my wife says I keep too much stuff.
What's she know - she's only been around 32 years!

It's $2000 to register the 90 with the DMV? Are you basically just converting the 90 over to the 82 to use the 82 VIN which I assume has less of a registration problem? To bad your 82 isn't an 84. Tthings would be a lot easier.

I've sort of had similar ideas also. I have a registered 68 and an unregistered 70. The 70 has a 68 appearing rear end. It needs a new front clip. I have the parts to convert the front of the car to a 68 appearance. What I worried about is that when I get ready to register the 70 there might be some EPA regulation that can't be met, etc. I don't plan to sell either car in my lifetime.
Close call on registering the 68. When I when to register it, it hadn't been driven in something like 15 years. I last licensed it in 1985. I didn't file the form stating I intended to put the car in storage. I was technically liable for about 25 years of unpaid registrations. AAA really helped, the lady had me prepare a form stipulating the car had been in storage. That got me off the hook.I don't think the DMV would have told me about this way out of the problem. I didn't have my legal title..lost. AAA made me a duplicate title! I really had no way of proving I owned the car other than circumstantial evidence of always keeping it insured for fire and theft. AAA also did the inspection for me. The lady doing all of this..she and her husband owned a restored muscle car Chevelle. I'm going to be looking at the same situation with the 70, except as I said there may be a new law or reg that prevents me from registering my 70.

Last edited:
It's $2000 to register the 90 with the DMV? Are you basically just converting the 90 over to the 82 to use the 82 VIN which I assume has less of a registration problem? To bad your 82 isn't an 84. Tthings would be a lot easier.

I've sort of had similar ideas also. I have a registered 68 and an unregistered 70. The 70 has a 68 appearing rear end. It needs a new front clip. I have the parts to convert the front of the car to a 68 appearance. What I worried about is that when I get ready to register the 70 there might be some EPA regulation that can't be met, etc. I don't plan to sell either car in my lifetime.
Close call on registering the 68. When I when to register it, it hadn't been driven in something like 15 years. I last licensed it in 1985. I didn't file the form stating I intended to put the car in storage. I was technically liable for about 25 years of unpaid registrations. AAA really helped, the lady had me prepare a form stipulating the car had been in storage. That got me off the hook.I don't think the DMV would have told me about this way out of the problem. I didn't have my legal title..lost. AAA made me a duplicate title! I really had no way of proving I owned the car other than circumstantial evidence of always keeping it insured for fire and theft. AAA also did the inspection for me. The lady doing all of this..she and her husband owned a restored muscle car Chevelle. I'm going to be looking at the same situation with the 70, except as I said there may be a new law or reg that prevents me from registering my 70.

You are misunderstanding what I am doing. The 90 is a donor car meaning all it's suspension and drivetrain are going to be transplanted into my 82 vette. The 82 has no registration issues.

The 90 has liens and unpaid tickets and 7 years of unpaid registration. My 82 has clear title in my name to register it it will cost 82.00. The probkem with the 90 is P/O never non-op'ed it.

the motor and trans and differential are in great working condition on this 90 so they will replace the 82 cfi engine. I will keep the TPI and it is a smog legal swap that also opens things for more smog legal performance parts. I might even supercharge the car as well.

Well I got the whole inner frame from the 90 hood separated so my plan is to modify it and bond it to my 82 front clip and that should make my front clip strong enough to make it a clamshell. It will also allow me to mount rotating headlights like the c4.

The final remains of my 90 donor. Rest will be used on my 82's conversion.

Must say quite easy to work on a C4 like this :thumbs:

remains001_zps9e2522e8.jpg

remains002_zps22c8f49d.jpg

remains003_zps0cef22ab.jpg

remains004_zps129ce8cd.jpg

remains005_zps0d2b7812.jpg

remains007_zpsbb8a6a27.jpg

remains008_zps4ee4c217.jpg

Well I cut the side frame rails out today and they are really heavy believe it or not, I would venture to say a bare c4 frame easily out weighs a c3 frame.

framechop005_zpsaff1ffe3.jpg

framechop006_zps92c0dcf4.jpg

framechop007_zps23e44bea.jpg

framechop009_zps4bcc5cf6.jpg

How was the weather out there today, folks are bitching a LOT over something like 28f in LA........I note the what looks like blinds over your garage door there.....must be nice, MOST of the time.....

:yahoo: