Dang Trailing Arm Bearings

gr8vet

OK, figured I would redo the bearings. But someone has been in there before best I can tell, not sure how long ago. Hate like crazy to redo the bearings to find out there were really ok.

I have read the ole raise car, set tire at running height, place hands on 12 and 6 and see how much movement you get, but I have never seen a number, a measurement of how much is acceptable. Measured at wheel diameter, how much movement is ok? Any movement bad?

Thanks in advance
tt

12-6 position is more for checking output yoke end play on the diffy....anything over 1/16 inch is pretty bad, mine was like 3/16 something gross....two new yokes later and it's fine...

but on the BEARINGS....same thing but 3-9 position, and you gotta be really careful for the touchy feeley on this, you checking to feel any bearing slop, and the outer tire will move almost none....maybe a 32nd or something...you will feel the bearing play as it clunks back and forth from your twisting the wheel right/left.....

get some weight on the t-arms, and run the tires off the ground, you will hear the bearings noises with a stethoscope sold for cheep these daze at most parts houses....obviously should sound smooth as glass....:drink:

Good deal, thank you for clearing that up. I have seen it spelled out both ways, makes more sense to check bearings 3-9. I do get some slop in the 12-6 on pass side due to missing retaining clip in rear end. Otherwise both wheels are solid in the 3-9 position, no movement at all. Only other way I know to check, maybe, if this is a good way, after 200 miles on road, feeling both wheel hubs, just warm, not hot at all.

I will check with stethoscope as well.

Get a bit of groaning after driving for 30 minutes or so from the right rear, when backing up only. Parking brake, brake pads in general, slop in rear end, not sure?

Thanks again
tt

Missing clip in the rear bothers hell outta me, that can really screw up the handling, never heard of one coming outta there, dunno even if it's possible, but it WILL fuck up the rear camber BIGTYME.....better make sure them yokes/ half shafts are kosher....that can get dangerous....

:gurney::ill::banned:

It is not good if the clip is gone and it should be fixed. More then likely the axle has ground itself down and that is why the clip is gone. You will eventually destroy the diff housing where it will not be able to retain the axle seal if you let this go and do not get it fixed.
The bearing has a endplay setting of .001-.008. I set new ones up at .0015-.002 becuase you will get some bearing flash and they will loosen up a little after some mileage. If you are not very mechanical and have not purchase a bearing setup tool, then pay someone who had to build them for you. We offer several options for this. Why you may save some money doing these yourself, if they are not done correctly you could spend 10 times more to fix your car then it was to just initially buy a complete wheel bearing or trailing arm assembly.
Thanks
Justin