Decline of St Louis

It was a pretty interesting article. But I really don't believe, as the author eludes, that Michael Brown would have turned out too much differently. Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows? But the reality is that the story is repeated too many times throughout the country, with the same outcome.

Sadly, the black community in this country has been sold a bill of goods which, as it turns out, is naturally, inherently defective. That bill of goods is that the transgressions of the past are so severe, so injurious, that this generation and all future generations will forever be indebted to repay them. The vast majority of the black community has willingly and without critique accepted this premise. So many believe it is a license to loaf, to con, to cheat, to steal, often times irrespective of who is the victim of their perceived retribution. So many times victims of the violence are other minorities, even other blacks from within the same communities.

And what is worse than all of this is the general decline of society overall. Black Americans refuse to invest in the promise of the country. They inadvertently perpetuate the stereotypes they constantly rail against. Meanwhile white America is generally too petrified to be labeled racist to stand up and demand civility and true equality. Not "affirmative action" equality, that pseudo equality that comes from self inflicted handicaps from schools that disproportionately promote failing students (predominantly inner city, read "black") students. But an equality of expectation. The belief that each and every one of us, regardless of race or ethnicity, is fully capable of anything which we set our minds to accomplishing.

What should happen if America is to resume her rightful place as a world leader and moral authority is that black Americans should stand up and tell the world "we can learn anything anyone else can. We don't need quotas because we're as good as anybody else and we can prove it." While white Americans no longer enable black America in devolving into a lower class citizenry not just economically or socially but as human beings.

The very first step would be for black America to recognize the profiteers of racial strife. Leeches like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton should be seen for exactly what they are: charlatans and looters of opportunity. Evil men who are the rival of the very worst third world dictator known to human kind. These very people have ensured an entire race of Americans remain subject to poverty and closed off to opportunity, all to sustain their own wealth and power. Were they white, they would be rightly held in contempt by any decent person, regardless of race.

The next step is for white America to make a statement that is you WILL BE included in the American experience. No longer will we accept that you will stay on the outside looking in and cursing. No longer will you be allowed to point fingers and blame an entire race for some perceived continued exploitation. No longer will the excuse that you cannot accomplish things because of the color of your skin or the perception that someone is holding you down. Life is fucking tough for everybody, unless your name happens to be Kennedy or Clinton. Each and every one of us face difficulties and, yes, they vary. Some are harder than others. But there really isn't a "white club" where we sit back and laugh at how tough we make life for all the minorities. Or at least if there is, I have never been invited. My invitation must have been lost in the mail.

To paraphrase De Toqueville, America is a great people because America is a good people. I used to believe that. I do still think it's possible. But I no longer believe it is a universality. Instead, today people are surprised when someone else does "the right thing". And today, even the slightest perceived injustice is used as righteous cause for despicable acts, facts be damned. We are no longer a good people. We are a people at war with ourselves.

I am saddened beyond the ability to convey at so much opportunity lost. So many lives relegated to meaningless. How horrible must it be to live one's entire life never believing that there could ever be opportunity? To always assume that even the most basic efforts will be thwarted by some malicious oppressor? To believe with all your heart and soul that the only way to profit is to take from others, near or far, white or black, rich or poor? How desperate a life must that be?

Without a paradigm shift in the thought of all American society, we are already doomed to watch as our nation crumbles and becomes a hollow shell of what it was, and what it could still be. Sadly, I feel that we will never realize such a shift. The grip of fear, scorn and bitterness is as internal to so many that the only rival I can imagine is the irrational, illogical, fervent hatred of a religious sect. Just as Muslims have been infected by the virus of jihad, black America has been infected by the virus of reverse racism. Sadly, just as jihad, this virus has proven to be incredibly resilient. Such is the nature of belief.

Name ONE positive influence of any major proportion to come out of Africa, in the entire recorded history of the world.....and the ancient Egypt carvings depict European folks, not some aramaic background.....:lol:

Too soon to start selling "I looted Ferguson and all I got was this crappy T shirt" T shirts?
And I got another question. They looted an Autozone, Advance Auto, and Oreileys. Even when I go in there with all the correct info and the guy looks it up on the computer, it's wrong half the time. What the hell do you steal, random parts that go to who knows what?????
Oh yeah, for those that missed this:
https://news.vice.com/article/pants...rguson-protesters-is-successfully-crowdfunded

Last edited:
Too soon to start selling "I looted Ferguson and all I got was this crappy T shirt" T shirts?
And I got another question. They looted an Autozone, Advance Auto, and Oreileys. Even when I go in there with all the correct info and the guy looks it up on the computer, it's wrong half the time. What the hell do you steal, random parts that go to who knows what?????
Oh yeah, for those that missed this:
https://news.vice.com/article/pants...rguson-protesters-is-successfully-crowdfunded

Same thing that happened in DC in the '68 riots....they burnt out a huge section of the city, all the businesses/job left that area, and to get a can of beer or smokes, they had to drive some 5 miles one way.....

And funny, I have never had that much trouble with any of the parts chains and pulling parts, but I tend to drive American badge cars....

:rolleyes:

Nice dissertation Jen, but you are going to have to do an Ebonics translation to get your point across to the people who could benefit by it.

This whole Michel Brown and the fall of St. Louis crap really pisses me off. St. Louis is not "declining" anymore than any other big city in the USA. Although now retired, my job with McDonnell Douglas / Boeing offered me the opportunity to travel throughout the country and witness the pros and cons of many cities and their communities. St. Louis is heads above many of them. Hell just recently my son and I took a weekend trip to Jacksonville to take in the Florida / Missouri Football game. Stayed in a nice hotel on the south side closer to Gainesville. A city in Florida we thought was on the rise providing exciting opportunities for recreation, careers, fun living etc. Don't get me wrong, I am sure it has many of those characteristics. We also decided to attend the Jaguar/Browns game. Talk about the hood, North Jacksonville is daunting. One of the highest crime areas per capita in the US. Sorry Gene, but my point is not to single out any one city but to use it as an example in addition to St.Louis that illustrates all the major US cities.

To answer the articles author's question, if Michel Brown were to have grown up in Bowling Green, he would still have been a Punk Bully who thought he could take advantage of society. His parental upbringing, or lack thereof, would have insured that.

Last edited:
Jen, the person who questioned your conservatism is a Pinhead. Well Said, anytime your in Florida i will buy you a cup of coffee. And if i make it to Vegas again i will do the same.

So sad there's capitalistic hate peddlers that prey on the the poor. IMO!

Ralphy

Nice dissertation Jen, but you are going to have to do an Ebonics translation to get your point across to the people who could benefit by it.

This whole Michel Brown and the fall of St. Louis crap really pisses me off. St. Louis is not "declining" anymore than any other big city in the USA. Although now retired, my job with McDonnell Douglas / Boeing offered me the opportunity to travel throughout the country and witness the pros and cons of many cities and their communities. St. Louis is heads above many of them. Hell just recently my son and I took a weekend trip to Jacksonville to take in the Florida / Missouri Football game. Stayed in a nice hotel on the south side closer to Gainesville. A city in Florida we thought was on the rise providing exciting opportunities for recreation, careers, fun living etc. Don't get me wrong, I am sure it has many of those characteristics. We also decided to attend the Jaguar/Browns game. Talk about the hood, North Jacksonville is daunting. One of the highest crime areas per capita in the US. Sorry Gene, but my point is not to single out any one city but to use it as an example in addition to St.Louis that illustrates all the major US cities.

To answer the articles author's question, if Michel Brown were to have grown up in Bowling Green, he would still have been a Punk Bully who thought he could take advantage of society. His parental upbringing, or lack thereof, would have insured that.

Oh shoot, you drove right by my location in Orange Park, this burb is full of retired .mil types and working stiffs, except for one ATT engineer in his 40's it's all guys my age, retarred....lots of American Flags flown....

:D

<snip>
Thanks. I'm afraid you're absolutely correct though. Case in point. Yesterday while coming out of Walmart (I know, I know. I don't know why I do this to myself) I overheard a "woman of color" on her phone. I quote, "how close you is to my house?"
:huh:
Jen, the person who questioned your conservatism is a Pinhead. Well Said, anytime your in Florida i will buy you a cup of coffee. And if i make it to Vegas again i will do the same.
Thanks for that. But if you make it to Vegas, it's my treat. Those are the rules. :)

One of these days I'll figure out how people who know so much about cars can be so clueless about everything else in the universe.

Sam,

If in the case your defending the protesters. Clueless? I know how, what would be the word abusive/controlling/pricks/assholes a cop can be. I think most of us do. But I don't attempt to stand toe to toe with one. They have a rough job to do, that I would never apply for! I think these communities think they are a special abuse centers. In some ways yes, but look at the flip side. Look what they the cops deal with. It's a power struggle between the law and public. If someone wants to go hang their hat on abuse? Maybe the shooting of Tamir Rice the on the west side of Cleveland is one. Because this one looks and sounds suspicious. They've already caught the po po in a lie.

Ralphy

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/11/cleveland_police_officers_wait.html

One of these days I'll figure out how people who know so much about cars can be so clueless about everything else in the universe.

Sam Your comment regarding "Clueless" is a double edge sword. I grew up in that neighborhood. Road my bike, cruised the Steak & Shakes, the whole nine yards. Even got in trouble a few times with the law as I know teenagers have a way of doing. Never once did I or anyone I knew choose a cop. And btw, that was an era when young people had a problem with authority. I watched that neighborhood gradually go to shit in a hand-basket so please don't judge from that nice little college town u live in. I think this facebook post, by a black football player btw, sums it up better than anything I can provide. Most of you have probably seen this by now, but here it is anyway.

At some point while I was playing or preparing to play Monday Night Football, the news broke about the Ferguson Decision. After trying to figure out how I felt, I decided to write it down. Here are my thoughts:

I'M ANGRY because the stories of injustice that have been passed down for generations seem to be continuing before our very eyes.

I'M FRUSTRATED, because pop culture, music and movies glorify these types of police citizen altercations and promote an invincible attitude that continues to get young men killed in real life, away from safety movie sets and music studios.

I'M FEARFUL because in the back of my mind I know that although I'm a law abiding citizen I could still be looked upon as a "threat" to those who don't know me. So I will continue to have to go the extra mile to earn the benefit of the doubt.

I'M EMBARRASSED because the looting, violent protests, and law breaking only confirm, and in the minds of many, validate, the stereotypes and thus the inferior treatment.

I'M SAD, because another young life was lost from his family, the racial divide has widened, a community is in shambles, accusations, insensitivity hurt and hatred are boiling over, and we may never know the truth about what happened that day.

I'M SYMPATHETIC, because I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what happened. Maybe Darren Wilson acted within his rights and duty as an officer of the law and killed Michael Brown in self defense like any of us would in the circumstance. Now he has to fear the backlash against himself and his loved ones when he was only doing his job. What a horrible thing to endure. OR maybe he provoked Michael and ignited the series of events that led to him eventually murdering the young man to prove a point.

I'M OFFENDED, because of the insulting comments I've seen that are not only insensitive but dismissive to the painful experiences of others.

I'M CONFUSED, because I don't know why it's so hard to obey a policeman. You will not win!!! And I don't know why some policeman abuse their power. Power is a responsibility, not a weapon to brandish and lord over the populace.

I'M INTROSPECTIVE, because sometimes I want to take "our" side without looking at the facts in situations like these. Sometimes I feel like it's us against them. Sometimes I'm just as prejudiced as people I point fingers at. And that's not right. How can I look at white skin and make assumptions but not want assumptions made about me? That's not right.

I'M HOPELESS, because I've lived long enough to expect things like this to continue to happen. I'm not surprised and at some point my little children are going to inherit the weight of being a minority and all that it entails.

I'M HOPEFUL, because I know that while we still have race issues in America, we enjoy a much different normal than those of our parents and grandparents. I see it in my personal relationships with teammates, friends and mentors. And it's a beautiful thing.

I'M ENCOURAGED, because ultimately the problem is not a SKIN problem, it is a SIN problem. SIN is the reason we rebel against authority. SIN is the reason we abuse our authority. SIN is the reason we are racist, prejudiced and lie to cover for our own. SIN is the reason we riot, loot and burn. BUT I'M ENCOURAGED because God has provided a solution for sin through the his son Jesus and with it, a transformed heart and mind. One that's capable of looking past the outward and seeing what's truly important in every human being. The cure for the Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice and Eric Garner tragedies is not education or exposure. It's the Gospel. So, finally, I'M ENCOURAGED because the Gospel gives mankind hope.
------------------

It is unfortunate this all happened in St.Louis, it doesn't deserve all this. It could have happened anywhere and unfortunately I'm pretty sure it does.

Clueless? I think the only clueless ones are those that think you could have ANY kind of logical or reasonable discussion with a group so emotionally disturbed that they're incapable of seeing the damage they're doing to themselves. Burning/looting your own neighborhood is not going to fix much.
Because of that, I have no issues making fun of things like "Pants up, don't loot" or that the leader of the "F#@k the Police" rally gets her car stolen during the protest. I wonder if she filed a police report?
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...s-car-stolen-during-the-fck-the-police-rally/

I spent 53 years in the Wash DC burbs, grew up with guns, motor carts, hotrods, etc.....started working on car about age ten.....back when the city was run by AMERICANS, not the communists.....got tired of it in '97 and moved to Florida.....prime mover was snow and arthritis.....

I am well clued in to DC polyticks and know more than anyone on any Corvette group/forum about it all, from day one at my age ~12 or so.....

Met too many people from too many various .gov departments, most of them upper level 'mgmt.'......and heard too many comments over the years.....personal friends working in the inner sanctums of WAY upper management nuff said....

Getting to the point I being age 70 now, I really into just posting the truth, and not into any fights the way I was.....

I should write a book, but love to co-author with an old friend.....Who's father was a cabinet officer during the FDR admin.....through WW2 I believe....

:crutches:

Yeah Gary and rule #1, non minorities don't and can't understand. We're all clueless. It goes along with the white privilege don't you know? Still looking for mine however! Other than the privilege to bust my ass to get ahead.

Ralphy