Differential Crossmember reinforcement

keywestjack

I purchased a pair from Vette Brakes and Products, http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvett...ssis/1963-79-Crossmember-Reinforcing-Kit.html. I began think (very dangerous thing to do) since they are aluminum and the cross member is steel wont it develope a corrosion problem? Lots of guys use them and say they are worth the time and money. Is there a problem later on by installing them, or am I thinking too much? Thank for the input, Jack

If it worries you, and I don't think it's necessarily an unfounded concern, coat/paint one of the surfaces. I don't have the same diff but I do have the VB camber rods on my diff. My diff is aluminum while the camber rod bracket is steel. The only thing separating the two is the paint (powdercoating?) on the bracket. I've had it for years and have no known corrosion issues.

Mine have been on for about 20 years and they haven't corroded.

Actually that would be a good thing. Place sacrificial strips of metal at strategic points on the frame to protect the frame.

When I lofted the body off my 68, there were large aluminum shims (they lookhed like large washers). They were wedged between the steel frame and the steel birdcage. They were not corroded.

To me, aluminum and steel dont seem to be very reactive in regards to being dissimiler metals. Aluminum and copper do't get along well.