Electric water pump, anyone running one?

Hosepower TV checked a basic 350 engine with a belt driven aluminum water pump on the engine dyno before and after the base line. Before was 290 hp and 329 torq. then they installed the electric water pump and they got 296 hp and 335 torq. This showed 6 hp gain and 6 ft lbs. of torq. improvement. It was on 4-26-08 the 232 show. I like the idea also you install the electric fuel pump and manual rack n' pinon with a electric water pump and I would think you could gain 20 hp at least and the power that you gained is not building it up just using what is there more efficiently.

I certainly can't argue the engineering, or the tests...but the major over riding problem is.....

cost effectiveness.....it's not for a street machine or much of a non racing retro fit, something to be done in a OEM concept from the git go....

otherwise, get off some major bux.....and then hope it really works in your applications.....

:trumpet::surrender:

The electric water pump will free up a few more usable horsepower. However the real draw back is that if you are out cruising somewhere and it takes a crap they are not readily available at most auto parts stores... so that kind of leaves you stranded. I did the Hot Rod Magazine Drag week this past year and 90 % of the cars in attendance were running them. My suggestion would be to when purchasing one go ahead and purchase a replacement motor/impeller to keep with you for a spare if needed. Like the old addage...If you have it you won't need it but if you don't have it you will surely need it. JMHO

The electric water pump will free up a few more usable horsepower. However the real draw back is that if you are out cruising somewhere and it takes a crap they are not readily available at most auto parts stores... so that kind of leaves you stranded. I did the Hot Rod Magazine Drag week this past year and 90 % of the cars in attendance were running them. My suggestion would be to when purchasing one go ahead and purchase a replacement motor/impeller to keep with you for a spare if needed. Like the old addage...If you have it you won't need it but if you don't have it you will surely need it. JMHO

This is my concern. Is 6 hp really worth the cost of reliability and repair cost/time? Race/weekend warrior, who cares. DD, no way Jose.;)

Friend of mine has a Fiero that he put a 327 in. He said that due to space constraint he had to use an electic pump, that flows I think around 30 gpm.

Has been running it in S Florida heat for about 4 years with no probs and using A/C. Says that temps stays consistant.

Here is an old pic, hard to see, but follow the brass pipe. :bounce:
He is planning on changing it to a 350 with a 6 speed, so most of the rigging will be gone then.

DSC00051.jpg

This is my concern. Is 6 hp really worth the cost of reliability and repair cost/time? Race/weekend warrior, who cares. DD, no way Jose.;)

Who said they were unreliable? and only made for race cars????

FWIW - The electric water pumps have pretty decent average hourly life expectancies. When they fail, they'll fail like a regular water pump...gradually petering out and making noises. If you pay attention to your engine, you should be able to detect the increase in water temps and/or noise from a failing pump. That should give you enough chance to fix it before you are stranded somewhere...

Update. I bought the cheap chineese electric water pump at the Pomona Swap meet about a year ago. At the time, I also did my serpentine belt conversion to drive my power steering and alternator. I alos upgraded to a CS133 alternator to drive the electric water pump, dual fans, electric fuel pump, and upgraded head lights. I also opened up the license plate area of the car for more airflow to the radiator. Results, fantastic. My car rarely goes over 190 degrees, even on the really hot days. No reliability problems and the pump is quieter than most fuel pumps. I cool much faster inbetween autocross runs by just leaving the water pump running.
Bee Jay

Update. I bought the cheap chineese electric water pump at the Pomona Swap meet about a year ago. At the time, I also did my serpentine belt conversion to drive my power steering and alternator. I alos upgraded to a CS133 alternator to drive the electric water pump, dual fans, electric fuel pump, and upgraded head lights. I also opened up the license plate area of the car for more airflow to the radiator. Results, fantastic. My car rarely goes over 190 degrees, even on the really hot days. No reliability problems and the pump is quieter than most fuel pumps. I cool much faster inbetween autocross runs by just leaving the water pump running.
Bee Jay

Have you street driven the car for say a ten mile freeway blast at 80 mph in 100f heat, gotten off into traffic and sat at a few lights on the way home, for instance??

how did it work then??

:confused::gurney:

Electric water pumps are an interesting idea and certainly have advantages, or you wouldn't see them in racing applications. I can also see how this would be attractive if your cooling system isn't working well now and you have to update or modify the system to keep the engine cool. What I don't see is the value added for the cost of modifying a system that's working well now. Might have "cool" factor, but I don't think you'll see or feel a 6hp gain for the effort.

Then again....I've already been wrong today...and it's early!!

I've been running the same Proform electric water pump for 31000 miles and have had no issues with it. My car cools great and it looks good too.

Bee Jay

Have you street driven the car for say a ten mile freeway blast at 80 mph in 100f heat, gotten off into traffic and sat at a few lights on the way home, for instance??

how did it work then??

:confused::gurney:

I haven't done that, but wouldn't even dare try it before. I would not hesitate now. You get full water flow even sitting in traffic idleing. With the fans blowing full blast, the water temp drops. I'm a happy camper.
Bee Jay

I've been running the same Proform electric water pump for 31000 miles and have had no issues with it. My car cools great and it looks good too.

I wasn't going to mention the brand name, but I bought the same pump on AJ77's praise.
Bee Jay