Engine and Sparkplug & wires

cajos1968

I'm still alive, has been a while since I posted!!

Had some set backs with my health, but now I'm up and running again. My project was at a full stop.

Last Thursday I started again! Damn it is hard to pick up where you left 8 months ago!! I started with repainting the firewall, thats done and the engine can be put back!! Although I need to plan that with some help!

??Do I assemble the engine as much as possible or can I just leaf it bare and assemble it in the engine bay??

?? I have a HEI ignition (accel) system can some one recommend some plugs and wires to go with it (budget is about $150). If possible with part numbers. Any one shop at rock auto? The old wires are deteriorated and the plugs are in bad shape. The collection with the auto shops are so huge that I'm not sure what to order??

good to be back

Cas

1972 Coupe 454

Assemble at least the full long block, makes it so much easier.

Plugs & all depends on engine combo, heads and such (gasketed, tapered seat...blabla)

I shop at rock auto frequently, do a search for their latest discount code

When shopping at rockauto, make sure to check everything you order is at the same warehouse or you'll be paying a lot of shipment costs

I installed the engine and transmission assembled.... easier that I thought:

100_2264Small.jpg

Plug wires ?? I currently use Accel wires that are cheap ($40).... custom length wires are on my list ("to do list")... I would like to run them under the headers

I dunno, that shark has to be some 2' minimum in the air for the tailshaft to clear the ground with tranny attached and rad support in place....

IMO, i'ts much easier to handle them separately as with typical hook and stands, i'ts still a mess aligning and bolting that crap together....so either bent over on some rig up, or laying on my back under the car....I rather lay down....have wifey handing me tools/etc....beer....:mobeer::friends:

I'm still looking for those wires. My main issue is that on the autopart site I have to enter the car, but since HEI is an upgrade of my BB, I never get HEI wires. Any help is welcome.

I'm still looking for those wires. My main issue is that on the autopart site I have to enter the car, but since HEI is an upgrade of my BB, I never get HEI wires. Any help is welcome.

I use the MSD 31193 8.5 super conductor with my DUI (70BB) Cut to fit is the way to go. 82USD. I think they might come in red as well.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-31193/

Funny: since my previous post above: I still run the crappy Accel wires and I am still planning on "cut to fit" wires...

"cut to fit" is definitely the way to go, especially with headers. What I have right now is not much to look at... pretty ugly, some too short, some too long.... :lol:

For my ZZ4, I bought the wires from the GM Performance Parts catalog and also bought the wire holders (looms). Actually I used the GMPP part numbers and ordered them all from Summit. The wire holders look nice but were very pricey at $174.

The GMPP catalog has some really great things to look at. You can download it from the internet. It's really hard to look at it without wanting to start buying things! Absolutely positively do not start looking at their crates engines unless you really need one.

Last edited:
Anyone from the Eurozone have a good address for stuf like this. I tried summit and jegs, 50+ USD to ship??

Cheapest way to ship is a USPS "flat rate" box, $39.95 for the smaller size, $49.95 for the larger size box.... everything goes air nowadays, no more snail mail by ship.... sux.....

Anyone from the Eurozone have a good address for stuf like this. I tried summit and jegs, 50+ USD to ship??

Cheapest way to ship is a USPS "flat rate" box, $39.95 for the smaller size, $49.95 for the larger size box.... everything goes air nowadays, no more snail mail by ship.... sux.....

Karsten, I hear you help out all the guys overseas, and so what little bit I have done is almost nothing...BUT I am ASStounded at the freeking stupid shit you all overseas, even Canada? next DOOR? go through to get a lousy bunch of bolts....

all you all millionaires over there...gotta be....:hissyfit::hissyfit::drink::eek:

Yes I'll get a friend ship it for me.

I just ordered a new Core Support. Friend of mine tried to weld the old one, but it is to far gone. Shipping alone is 120 USD.

I actually had a good week, I found a brand new windshield here in The Netherlands!! Cheap to ;-)

We can't be millionaires, all the money is going to parts, duty and tax ;-)