Engine Cleaner

boeing46

My engine is getting a lil greasy. Is there a spray on product that won't damage the paint because theres always over spray.
I thought about a self car wash but I haven't seen one for awhile.
It has a couple years of build up. Stock 81
Thanks

You're in California, I assume cleaning it in your driveway with engine degreaser from the 'zone' and a water hose is not an option ???

The engine degreaser you buy at AutoZone is not all that aggressive, I would still avoid getting it on the paint but it won't damage the paint unless maybe if you leave it on there for a few hours.

If you want to be safe then get some plastic (painter's drop cloth) from lowes/Home Depot and mask the fenders.

The "Engine Brite" spray that they sell is some good stuff, makes the engine bay look nice.... it's supposed to protect the plastic/rubber parts too...

I've used Engine Brite too. the Stuff does a decent job.

Your best bet is to get a power washer and hit it!
Lowes/HD sell them. Mine's 1300 psi (electric) and I use it a lot around the house, and for washing cars.

Engine brite foam, then follow with full strength Simple Green.

2nd Simple Green full strength. Not bad for the environment either (of course all the stuff it is taking off is)

2nd Simple Green full strength. Not bad for the environment either (of course all the stuff it is taking off is)

I been in hot water with this comment before, but here goes again...I have NEVER SEEN ONE detergent based product that worked on dissolving engine/car based baked on oil/grease type crap....especially when road grime/dust has been soaked into it.....

and that included simple green, laundry soaps, most of it all,

I don't enjoy the smell of gasoline either, but if you going to cut grease there is nothing else that's affordable to do the job in any reasonable time frame.....

SO, I"d load up a garden sprayer with gas, and spray the engine down, then hose down with a detergent spray hopefully start it up with ease and drive till dry....

I have never found any other way to degrease a car...you got 500 bux plus to toss after it, fine...not ME....

:stirpot:

Only kidding a little but..please keep a video camera handy to record the fire. Using gasoline as a degreaser is insanely dangerous.

There is an industrial cleaner in five gallon buckets at Home Depot called "### purple industrial ###" in the cleaning chemicals isle that works well also but it must be rinsed with water or it will leave a white film.

Only kidding a little but..please keep a video camera handy to record the fire. Using gasoline as a degreaser is insanely dangerous.

There is an industrial cleaner in five gallon buckets at Home Depot called "### purple industrial ###" in the cleaning chemicals isle that works well also but it must be rinsed with water or it will leave a white film.

Well it ain't like you need to start the engine with a hood full of fumes, for christsakes....but you have to cut the damn oil and grease....it's about the ONLY affordable way to do it in any reasonable time frame....

only talking maybe a gallon of gas....4 bux....

two applications, done....

after that, you can blast off the left over road dust with a air jet....

or some other cleaner, if you have a pressure washer.....gasoline will not hurt a engine, water damn surely will....

:stirpot::chinese:

Well it ain't like you need to start the engine with a hood full of fumes, for christsakes....but you have to cut the damn oil and grease....it's about the ONLY affordable way to do it in any reasonable time frame....

or some other cleaner, if you have a pressure washer.....gasoline will not hurt a engine, water damn surely will....

Gene, You simply amaze me:amazed:. keep them coming. Gives me something to talk about with the wife. But ur right, it does cut grease:wink:

Danny

Gene, You simply amaze me:amazed:. keep them coming. Gives me something to talk about with the wife. But ur right, it does cut grease:wink:

Danny

Danny, I guess coming from some 53 years in PC Wash DC region, my rebellion is even more entrenched than ever....there isn't ONE of the bastards in that region, in any command structure that know jack crap about WTF they are doing....the create non problems, fund idiot professors in meaningless fields, spend money on phony solutions, and sell the package to the sheeple.....and they all have cushy jobs they can't be fired from under civil service laws.....they show up late, take 2 hour lunch breaks, and go home early.....there is simply nothing about that town I have not noticed over 40 cognitive years living there....

so I prefer to get the job DONE, not debate over some snail darter or whatEVER is the latest cause of some hollywood harlot....

:D:lol:

I'm with ya Gene.
Just used gasoline to disolve the sprayed undercoat off the bottom of the car. Easiest way, and the fiberglass doesn't absorb too much of it.
The e85 dries a little faster now.