EV News

Geoff Coenen

Fox and MSN reports around 1000 of the 2000 USA Buick dealers nationwide have given up their Buick franchise rather than spend around $300,000 to install the infrastructure to service EV's and train personnel.

Also Consumer Reports says that EV's have 80% more problems than ICE models. Geeze I was previously led to believe that because EV's has fever moving parts they had less problems.

Of course the dangers inherent with the Lithium battery fires is another factor that would deter me from ever garaging an EV in my home directly under my bedroom.

Furthermore china is contributing $$$ to support green energy non government groups in the US to discourage ICE production.

And to top it off, scientists in Japan, England and elsewhere have definitively concluded that all the china virus and all the variants were made in the wuhan lab - so this is biological terror warfare - since they haven't all accidentally excaped.

Lost 50 % of the dealers. That tells you a lot.

Saw this a while ago.

$300K I read it was well over a $1 million.....when the POTUS is bought and paid for by China this is what you get...the green new (pie in the sky) deal BS

Reactions: rtj
In addition to exploding vehicles, there are a number of other problems with EV's. One of them is a plan to sell 100% EV's by 2035 by "government edict". Here is a take (by somebody that did the math) on development of charging stations in California.

"So, CA needs to install 2,200,000 chargers in about 12 years. To be generous, lets make it 13 years from TODAY.
There's 94,000 chargers installed. That leaves 2,106,000 chargers left to go. Only 162,000 per year for 13 years. 3,115 per week, every week starting today for 13 years. 623 chargers need to be installed every day (5 days per week). BTW, that's more than 43,000 by the end of THIS YEAR.
How many are installed every day? Is it even one tenth that amount? Highly unlikely.
Additionally, two factors to consider, after the lack of skilled workers and available materials for that rate of installation.
1) Charging stations require replacement periodically. I've seen that stations less than 5 years old need replacement already. Chargers installed today will need to be replaced before half of the required number are installed.
2) As material costs increase like copper and other metals, the likelihood of vandals stripping chargers goes up with the price of those metals. More replacement chargers & costs.
This is simply a math problem. The desired outcome for EV's in the desired timeframe seems improbable, to say the least."

Do our government overlords know how to do basic math?

Add to that:
The charging station infrastructure is another failure. Eventually all public charging stations will scan your car when "filling up" for information about the miles driven and who you are so that they can tax you or worse. And, it will keep independents from running their own charging stations (with say a diesel generator). Also, the Biden "Infrastructure" bill required manufacturers to include a "kill switch" in your car.

"The mandate for automobile manufacturers to include a "kill switch" to address impaired driving was included as part of the bipartisan infrastructure bill President Joe Biden signed into law in 2021"
What is included in this ability to disable your car? Impaired driving, speeding ("intelligent speed assistance"), etc. Your car would be disabled until you complied with whatever penalties some computer programed judge decided for you. This is just part of the push to make society "cashless" so the same people who can kill your car can seize your property and money.

Well before it gets to this point, people will be buying 20 year old ICE cars until the fuel supply is cutoff by the government. Most cars built in the last 10 years are transmitting and receiving data from/to the manufacturers. Cars have had GPS trackers for about 10 years.

Using industry sales data, WIRED ran 10 of the most popular cars in the US through the privacy tool to see just how much information they can collect. Spoiler: It's a lot. The analysis follows previous reporting on the amount of data modern cars can collect and share—with estimates saying cars can produce 25 gigabytes of data per hour.
Andrea Amico, the founder of Privacy4Cars, says people understand very little about what data their cars can collect as there is little education and "the level of detail and transparency varies" across manufacturers. His too ranks most modern vehicles as "smartphones on wheels," as they're able to collect heaps of data and wirelessly send that information to manufacturers.

The car companies are even selling this data. The goal is identification and surveillance of every person in the country. Got to keep an eye on these insurrectionists! China does this surveillance of individuals out in the open. The US government does the same thing and hides it.

And this is just the infrastructure for charging stations. Everything seems to devolve into control.

800 Ford Dealers don't want $500,000 - to $1,000,000 investment with EV problems also.
EV's and climate change are special interest money makers.

Lets not forget those massive car carriers with the EV's that caught fire - uncontrollable and sank in the North Sea (?).
I do my virtue signalling with burn outs using $10-15/gallon hi octane race gas. Love the smell of race gas and gun powder. There should be an aftershavefragrance like that - NO ? :)

Lol, the young student says "a massive explosion. ". The garage door must have been open and still got blown out.

A neighbor had (note verb tense), been boasting of the "miles per gallon" he travelled with his Chevy Volt.
Until last week. Then:
1. Replaced EV version of ECU - $1000 + labor/programming​
2. Replaced "Starting Battery"​
3. Several trips and then - Dead.​

Local dealer advised $10K-ish to replace the dead lithium cells.

Now, it sits in his driveway, waiting to part out. The body, interior, fit and finish are immaculate. But it is dead.
I suggested making it a reverse conversion:
1. Pull the lithium battery bank (16kW) flog those,​
2. Pull the combo motor, flog it, and​
3. Drop-in a Honda FWD, or something.​

Told him - "Sorry I'm busy!"​

It is a mess that has been solely driven to create control opportunities.
Witness Solindra - the Solar "enterprise" set up by Hussein Obama.
Now, the EV debacle pushed again by the "O-Bidens."

As you drive by, give them a burraapp with the throttle!

Cheers - Jim

I don't know about GM volt, but there are lots of YT vids for Honda Prius battery replacement. Guys buy them cheap, dismantle them and replace the bad cells. The bad cells are returned to supplier.

He should look.

Everyone has probably seen these, but adding anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_1476.jpeg
    IMG_1476.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1477.jpeg
    IMG_1477.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1
Did you note - they are fighting the Lithium-Ion fire with CO2.
That is the only way to smother the oxygen generation I guess.
Give the greenies something else to be upset about now too.

Cheers - Jim

:)

Excellent article at Redstate.

CRAFFEY: Death of the Working-Class Supercars
By RedState Guest Editorial | 7:30 AM on January 07, 2024

Goodbye to V8 Engines?

Perhaps you aren't a particular fan of these LX cars, and you think their demise is just an outlier. Well, for Chevrolet Camaro fans, the last V8 Camaro also just rolled off the assembly line. The last year for the Ram truck before it loses a V8 option is 2024, and the same for the Dodge Durango, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and Jeep Grand Wagoneer. On the slightly more expensive side, V8s have been removed from the Mercedes C63 and E63, and the Toyota Land Cruiser; 2024 will be the last year for any Jaguar with a V8. Lastly, the phenomenal Cadillac CT5 V-Blackwing, with its supercharged 6.2 liter V8, will be the last performance V8 that Cadillac ever offers, or at least, so they say. My guess is that 2025 will be the last year for these majestic sedans.

Meanwhile, EVs are not selling at all as originally predicted and why wouldn't they? People do not like being told what to buy, much less being forced into it. Ford and many others have cut their sales projections in half and dealers are having to sell these vehicles at a loss just to move them as it costs much more to make an electric car than an equivalent gas-powered vehicle. As a result, I predict over the coming years that more than a few long-time automakers will go out of business trying to adhere to EV government regulations by spending billions of dollars to transition their platforms and infrastructure to this new technology, only to have the market decide they still prefer some sort of gas-powered option over full-EV. Meanwhile, the "old-school" Dodge Charger, Challenger, and 300 were still selling in near-record numbers right up to the end and were highly profitable for both the dealers and Stellantis. In their absence, sales are already starting to decline at Stellantis, leading to cuts in marketing and other areas, putting its future at risk.

So yes, the loss of these cars is individually significant, but what it reflects on a larger macro level is even far more impactful; the death of American working-class empowerment, their attainable dreams, and their freedom to live their life how THEY see fit. It's not just our cars this administration and like-minded Progressives have been taking away. It's our gas stoves, it's our lawnmowers, and it's our ability to even water our lawns. It's gas leaf-blowers, and single-family zoning, and on and on. It may start with taking our V8s, but it will almost certainly end in a far darker place unless the dominant political climate changes, pun intended.

More bad news for EV's

Rental giant Hertz dumps EVs, including Teslas, for gas cars
Rental firm Hertz Global Holdings (OTC:HTZGQ) is selling about 20,000 electric vehicles, including Teslas, from its U.S. fleet about two years after a deal with the automaker to offer its vehicles for rent, in another sign that EV demand has cooled.

Hertz will instead opt for gas-powered vehicles, it said on Thursday, citing higher expenses related to collision and damage for EVs even though it had aimed to convert 25% of its fleet to electric by 2024 end.

Ain't technology great! Using it in so many ways to make life a little easier:

Ford is in the process of filing a patent application for self-driving cars to drive away from their owners after a series of missed payments.
"The Ford proposal will force the car to drive itself to a repossession agency."

It wasn't good enough that they could disable your car, now they want the car to drive itself to the impound lot!