Fastener alternative

cajos1968

Guy´s

I have a new core support and seals for my 72, only thing I did not order/get are the plastic fasteners to attach the seals to the core. These fasteners are all out of stock at the moment (Paragon, Ecklers, Willcox) and are expected earliest in December.

Does anyone have a good alternative?

RTV??...glue it in place, but at least RTV black is black and won't show brown/white/tan like most glues....

:crutches:

Guy´s

I have a new core support and seals for my 72, only thing I did not order/get are the plastic fasteners to attach the seals to the core. These fasteners are all out of stock at the moment (Paragon, Ecklers, Willcox) and are expected earliest in December.

Does anyone have a good alternative?

3M weather strip adnesive. Comes in a tube like tooth paste. Either brack or yellow. Works well.

I personally don't see what is wrong with plastic fasteners? I'll bet dollars to dimes they are equivalent to those seals in accuracy and originality.

As Al Knoch says: "You can get your oats, before or after the horse eats them.

Facts: GM 3966532 was discontinued by GM prior to August 10, 2010 since it is not in that current GM 2 volume Price Book (P6) published before than date. I don't record the exact dates when these parts are discontinued. Prior to it being discontinued, the GM published list price in P6 was $3.51 each and we marketed them at or below GM list. The last price we published in the our Volume 32 DocRebuild catalog (printed June 2008) was $2.00 (This may be or last paper catalog. Net only thereafter.)

Between June 2008 and now Government Motors did two things: they raised the price to $3.51 each and then later they discontinued the part.

GM 3966532 is a complex 4 slide stamping, heat treated and plated that dull Black phosphate finish if I remember accurately. There is nothing that fits better or last longer than original. If this is made by one of those jamokes in Taiwan, it will be no better than their other tinny repro's (think 64-67 windshield molding clips – same type of spring steel part). Do you really think the current domestic national China importers (i.e. CF supporting venders) will demand & get a quality part for 2 bux, or 3 bux? Or will you get another POS repro? I dunno?

49 cents is cheap insurance these days. :D

But I'm not sure if it will cover the N0bama mandated changes we have to cover in 2011.

How are those shitty repo's workin out for ya? :D

Pffff, like I care. I need alternatives because Paragon, Willcox and Ecklers, (should I say ZIP, just to piss him off ;-) ) are flat out and have them on back order till at least December.

Again you go rambling off about "other manufactures" quality and pissing off (mock) potential customers who buy them!! I have seen this before, hell your whole site and catalog are filled with it. I personally feel your beef and grief with other vendors is holding Doc Rebuild back. Just my 2 EURO cents, darn that is foreign currency and not made in the USA, must be crap to?

Instead if you ended "Facts: GM 3966532 ...... longer than original." with "Jim & Cas, if you order the set you get a 5% discount". Then I'm sure you have two customers and made some money. And I never buy just one thing with a supplier because of shipping cost, I always make sure shipping is at least 1/5 of my order. I need those windshield clips including screws to!

"Doc" I really love your quality (I have ordered with you) your Patriotism and devotion to the Corvette cause. But your site is too lame and from the stone-ages, it looks and feels like "made by Bubba", to me, get your act together on that part of your business and you will have me as a devoted customer.

PS: I don't shop at ZIP. (That 70k was better spend on your online store instead of a new toy)

Last edited:
I do apologize if I offended any European's as I really should define import foreign Corvette parts clearly as - junk Taiwan & junk China ones. Truly, I cannot think of any European manufactured Corvette reproduction parts for 1953-1982 models, so I will endeavor to exclude them, plus Englanders, Aussies, Irish, Canadian's etc. My sincere apologies to any other Countrymen that were offended by that broad comment & will be more specific. I will not back off on the Taiwan or China suppliers or greedy US Corvette vendors that milk the naïve retail consumers by supplying them with these or other crappy generic replacements. Those manufacturers supplying these C1,C2,C3 tier vendors make the cheapest crap available. It's purely economic.

(I'm not knowledgeable about C4 repro's, c5 also, etc. but most of that stuff does seem to be merely imported bling accessories, not replacement parts. If one stays late at the annual Corvette Carlisle event, along the "Manufacturers Midway" there are big piles of empty cartons from these C4 C5 up suppliers. They are predominantly those light tan weak Asian ones that are recycled, recycled cardboard. I'm confident it's all junk including the boxes. I'll take photo's next opportunity.)

After 30+ years I have considerable direct personal intimate knowledge of this market and I relate facts, not fiction. Never ever fiction; it's just not worth the monetary risk. I made my first commercial professionally manufactured Corvette repro's in 1979, and have made literally hundreds since then. Everyone you mentioned has at one time or another purchased wholesale. (Incidentally, if your purchased those seals from any of those that you mentioned, you got zips repro of our repro. They offer a lower wholesale price, and we don't match that wholesale price, but they don't match the parts. If someone there told you those fasteners are plastic, they have been merely substituting for the OEM metal style. It does not surprise me. That's the basic essence of their salesmanship game: give it the same name and few will realize exactly what they actually got is different than original or is not equivalent to GM or even the Doc X. They won't tell you that. When was the last time you read or heard any of them brag it's Taiwan or China part and were not talking iPhone, Android level or hi tech electronic manufactured parts?

Years ago we purchased about 8 different plastic injection molding dies just to produce accurate replica's of the various 68-82 engine compartment tie wraps that were actually used on real Corvette's. I recognize that anyone can go to their flaps and get current modern replacements, but these were for those who wanted original style. These dies were made in the USA, as well as the finished parts. These parts retail for $2 to 4 dollars each. Not that expensive, especially when a pack of cigarettes in Connecticut is $8 and close to $15 in NY city. My 35 year old acquaintance at Zip markets similarly named products, but they are completely inaccurate replacements – just like those the local auto parts stores sell for $2.99 for 25 pieces. But you will never read that anywhere but my website. It just look like ole DocRebuild is a dollar or so more expensive for the same part. I've dealt with that rip-off crap for years. It happens in all markets, from Gucci scarves, to pocketbooks to shoes. You take it personal when you realize what is happening. It even get more personal when they use your illustrations, instructions or advertising sale aid to actually market their dung.

On 66-67 Corvettes we made a very detailed replica of 427 only overflow hose retainer and sell it for $4. Zip sells a completely generic replacement from Auveco made in China, but you would be hard pressed to ever discover that – unless I mentioned that fact. Did you really think they would ever mention that?

For decades, there have been several vendors that operate by making a cheaper version of what is already out there. I honestly cannot think of one part that matches the original quality or durability. Today there are about 8 Corvette suppliers that are the major Asian importers, and that does not include all the other old Chevy, Ford, Mopar repro old parts suppliers doing the same.

The same thing that happened to the US economy, happened to the repro parts market. It's been taken over by crappy imports that are either inaccurate, wear out or break quickly. Note: I am well aware that not all imports are crap, nor is their quality junk, but I would like to hear about any Corvette parts made in Asia for 53-82 that are such great parts.

Recent internet chat rooms are loaded to references to these imported parts that seem to fail quickly if not right out of the box: 68-82 vacuum actuators & 68-82 relay valves, 64-66 turn signal switch, 63-67 & 68-82 PW switches, 78-82 AC climate control vacuum switch, 78-82 shifter console plate, 78-82 cluster case, ignition coils, 56-74 gas tank senders, power lock actuator, many headlamp switches, the Ttop and other weather strips, 73-75 cloisonné nose & gas door emblems, all the Aluminum rocker moldings & on & on ad nauseum.

If I wanted to maximize my portfolio, I would be a fly on the wall. My wife and others have said exactly the same. But I'm not in it just for piles of green money; to make that sale at any cost. That was never a main motivation. I'm pretty well set; have always been frugal, never lived beyond my means & own everything in my universe outright. No bank notes, no mortgages, no debts, no credit lines. I bit my tongue in the 1980's & 1990's when I had to deal with some folk. November I will been semi retired 10 years & publish what ever is truthful. Facts will not get me into a civil action. It may turn off some, warts and all, however I know that it has rewarded me with a comfortable nest. I could not live with myself like some of those phony greedy bastards that just harvest's the mullets. Caveat emptor.

How are those crappy Asian imports working out for any and all of youse? (Today I broke three drill bits from HomeDumpo working on one of garage doors tracks at home. Pure Asian imported crap. The cutting tip broke on two. I dropped the third on the cement garage floor & it broke in half. It's everywhere. I hate going to ChinaMart, HomeDumpo, Low's & all the others that have literally flooded the world with cheap knockoff's. It was only natural that the Corvette market followed the same path.)

PS Zips former webmaster Michael McWilliam's actually wrote & even called me to offer me his personal professional services at reduced cost because of zip was not paying him. He related I was a main topic in their offices & they just could not stop my web pages from linking to them. I graciously thanked him and explained that would not be ethical on my part. Plus we don't put allot into the surroundings. Our warehouse is not impressive; there's no showroom. Our catalogs were always news print paper. Our web pages from old Adobe Page Mill & GoLive. No fluff. I do hope to put more good photos & complete accurate description on our web store.

Geoff apology accepted.

May be it didn't read in my post, but I have the highest regards for Doc Rebuild products and prices aren't to bad. But accessibility is. I hope you can work out a strategy for a good website.

When you retire are you selling the place? Or is there a contingency plan?

I really have had my fill of the current market. In 30 years it has changed considerably, and most likely will continue in the same direction of cheap Asian reproductions. I know most of the importers, and they will only increase. I do hope to sell it all when I retire.
Thank you for your support.

Geoff, methinks we traded comments we maybe have met in the early/mid 60's with the Corvette Club of America in the Wash DC region....if I have my recollections right....

At any rate, I remember my father's funeral in '86, me caught flatfooted on delivering a eulogy....about the furthest thing from my mind....

so I spotted Gus, dad's partner there in attendance.....I looked at Gus and said that he, Dad, Johnny and Charlie were about the last honest men in the area....

gasp from the audience, and I sat down.....

:smash::eek:

and yes I understand your position, and admire your attitude....

:thumbs:

Geoff, methinks we traded comments we maybe have met in the early/mid 60's with the Corvette Club of America in the Wash DC region....if I have my recollections right....

At any rate, I remember my father's funeral in '86, me caught flatfooted on delivering a eulogy....about the furthest thing from my mind....

so I spotted Gus, dad's partner there in attendance.....I looked at Gus and said that he, Dad, Johnny and Charlie were about the last honest men in the area....

gasp from the audience, and I sat down.....

:smash::eek:

and yes I understand your position, and admire your attitude....

:thumbs:

That makes two of us.