Finally in primer...

Nice work Wayne!

Bet it feels great to see it all in one colour after all the work that you put in it.
Yes, it is a good feeling Paul. Even though I know what I've been doing to it, it now LOOKS like I've been doing something! Mind you, it's looking a bit ratty again now - I've run round the whole car with spot putty and probably tomorrow I'll start with the body filler where it's needed...

Should be a sexy bitch. Make sure to use extra thinner for saudi land. What grit are you going to finish the primer with?

And please, oh please change your freaking avatar already.

Should be a sexy bitch. Make sure to use extra thinner for saudi land. What grit are you going to finish the primer with?

And please, oh please change your freaking avatar already.
This is just epoxy primer to seal everything before I finish the body work. It's been bashed around before and repaired by some demented, filler wielding moron. I've now undone all that and got it back to a good solid base. I'm knocking back the spot putty and primer with 220 dry but I won't have it finished within 7 days so it'll need another coat of epoxy anyway. I didn't thin the epoxy at all to spray it and it went on pretty well. Mind you, the temps are real pleasant here now - it was probably around 34*C (93*F) when I sprayed it.

Hehe, I'm kinda attached to that avatar now :drink:

Sorry to crash in. :friends:

Regarding late C3 paint schemes there's a quite nice striped red-black alternative one on this web page which suits the curves IMHO really well.

I'm liking it more and more each day. :nuts:

pic10.jpg
pic08.jpg
pic09.jpg

Hehe, I just read his article - got quite a chuckle out of it. I like that paint scheme but I don't think that colour will go with my dark red interior. I do like the style of the stripe on the hood though...

Yes, I think this style could be used with endless number of color combinations and even adjusted a bit for one's liking - thinking mostly the center stripe at the back. Anyway, looking forward to see what you will eventually choose as my car will need a paint job too within a year or two.

Amusing article. He could well be chronicling my car except mine is still ugly. I've even got the same split at the left rear fender!:rolleyes:

My hood is presently painted like his turns out. I want to do a Motion stripe but don't know yet how to incorporate it with the dark silver T tops. Maybe vinyl stickon over the tops?

I'm planning to do some more sanding over Thanksgiving.

The SaudiVette is an inspiration:drink:

Pics are here: http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb46/GT6Steve/Corvette/

Last edited:
Wayne,
Lookin good my friend.

When you get to the final base/clear stage, don't use newspaper. It has a fine lint to it that CAN get in the paint. I do EVERYTHING I can to make cut and buff as easy as possible. Just use some good quality painters making paper, not the house painting stuff, auto kinda stuff.

I learned this newspaper thing the hard way, over 30 years ago. And an old dude even told me not to use it. So, I paid the price, that's why you don't hear the term "wise young man".

Keep up the good work, and post pics soon.

BBTank

I just the rest of the pages on this thread. Didn't realize that there was more than one page. I'll slow down and read now.

Last edited:
Thanks mate. I've used newspaper in the past, but that was when I was using acrylic laquer that needed to be cut and buffed anyway. I know the shop in town has rolls of masking paper so I'll get some before I spray any more. Thanks for the head's up.

I've almost finished the final repairs now, so hopefully I'll be spraying more epoxy again soon. I think the car will eventually come up pretty straight looking too as apart from using the filler where needed, I've been putting spot putty in any little holes and imperfections and blocking it all down. I'm thinking the final coat of hi-build primer shoudn't need much work at all...

I like to use the hi-build primer whenever I can, but things happen. I know you don't have access to the same products available here in the US, so go with a known painter's suggestions, from your area. There is just some world wide painting tips that are the same no matter what country you paint in.

I helped paint a flat track motorcycle rider's Mercedes Benz van when I was stationed in England. Now that was an education. I still keep up with that shop owner from time to time.

Any way, post pics when things change, we wanna see'em.

Keep it up,
BBTank

A bit more progress...

I've finished all the repairs now and blocked the whole car down, filling in any pinholes as I go. Ready to re-epoxy now.

354b5209d1d4892.jpg

354b5209d299f21.jpg

These cars are a pain in the arse to mask up. It took me bloody hours to do this :huh:
354b5209d3643e3.jpg

Saudivette

Have you ever flown on one of those Quantas A-380's? If not grab a few rolls of plastic and fly on on to LAX and you can prep my car ...... haha

Looks great - shoot some re-primer photos too. When you put the primer on wet watch the reflection and you may catch some flaws you can not feel.

Saudivette

Have you ever flown on one of those Quantas A-380's? If not grab a few rolls of plastic and fly on on to LAX and you can prep my car ...... haha
I haven't flown on an A-380 yet but thank you for the kind offer. I think I'm a little burned out now and need a break...

Lookin good...what color are you going with?
I think I'll go with a dark charcoal metallic with something similar to Motion stripes. Maybe :lol:

Looks great - shoot some re-primer photos too. When you put the primer on wet watch the reflection and you may catch some flaws you can not feel.
I'll definitely be taking some more pics and all things going well, post them up tonight. I'll be looking for flaws. No doubt there'll be a few things I've missed but it shouldn't come up too bad...

Finished. A coat of epoxy put on then two coats of 2K with a 3rd heavy (heavy) coat applied over the repairs.

354b533782751b4.jpg

354b5337833cf75.jpg

354b533783e56ae.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised with some areas I thought would be a bit dodgy, coming up really good but a little disappointed in other areas that I thought would come up good, but are a bit rough. The rough areas shouldn't take much to fix before squirting the colour. But for now fuck it, it's done!

Time to start the interior...:cry: