Fresh air door, how to verify position

496BBC

I'm working on the air flow diverter doors to get everything working right in prep of getting the AC working.

I have all the doors that I can see working but need some advice on verifying that the fresh air door is moving. It looks like the door is VAC to open which is great if this is the case. It should be closed until vacuum is applied so if I set the AC switch to MAX there should be know vacuum to the fresh air door.

Anyone got any tricks on this one?

Neal

There are TWO doors, they are spring loaded and work the opposite of each other from the same vac control source/line.....

one is up under the pass side cowling at end of wiper trough, you can see 3 small bolt heads there, holding the fresh air door and control valve, I THINK that if there is NO vacuum that door is open, if memory serves correctly, and the inside door is closed down behind the kick panel....

IMO, to just remove the kickpanel door completely, and then the upper one from the wiper trough area, since you located in Lousiana your climate is like mine in Jax Florida just east of you....

what I did was relieve the spring pressure, reinstall, and seal the door shut with RTV.....I had to cut a access hole in the fender liner....and remove the blower, but that needs done to vacuum out the leaves and shit from the a/c evap housing-fan/blower pressure side anyway, those things gather more shit than a Xmas turkey.....

then you seal it all up again and you got it on permanent recirculation, block the main vac control hose...

:thumbs:

thanks Gene

before installing the engine I removed the AC evap box and cleaned everything but I didn't think of the fresh air door or I would have sealed in tight in recirculate.

I believe your right with the vacuum to close or there would be know need to supply vacuum at the same time as the lower kick panel door.

My brother has one of those small flexible cameras I may be able to borrow to stick it in there and check it out.

Neal

The fresh air door that is under the pass side cowling at end of wiper trough is normally open and closes with vacuum.

Thanks BBShark, after looking over the vacuum diagram I can see that now.

It would have been better if it was vacuum to open

any ticks to verifying if its working correctly?

Neal

Thanks BBShark, after looking over the vacuum diagram I can see that now.

It would have been better if it was vacuum to open

any ticks to verifying if its working correctly?

Neal

:shocking:

Been a LONG time, but if you can't see it over the fender edge you gotta get awful uncomfortable to feel it, kinda like getting laid in a vette....:crap:....like I said, i'ts been a while....

pull the 3 bolts/screws and that will pull the entire mechanism....

but after that you need cut a hole in the fender liner and remove the blower motor to see what you need do....

:beer:

If you take the kick panel vent door out, you should be able the reach up there and fell the upper door. Or maybe a mirror will let you see it moving.

448395a4f676bb.jpg

If you take the kick panel vent door out, you should be able the reach up there and fell the upper door. Or maybe a mirror will let you see it moving.

448395a4f676bb.jpg

Methinks it takes a ~20y/o chick to do that, damn sure this olde tyme dynosore can't do it.....

:crap:

no secret tips on that
if the area is exposed, you can seal it up with fiberglass mat like Gene said
& just run max air
otherwise disconnect the actuator, seal vacuum hose & plug up with 3M strip caulk as best can

no secret tips on that
if the area is exposed, you can seal it up with fiberglass mat like Gene said
& just run max air
otherwise disconnect the actuator, seal vacuum hose & plug up with 3M strip caulk as best can

I used RTV, I did manage to do it with the engine out, long ago, obviously the hood and wiper shit was gone, but I have a '72.....so getting to it was barely possible....the easy way is to take about a foot wide/high section out of the fender liner, pull the motor/fan out, and then you can at least SEE WTF you are doing....I used a piece of heavy vinyl from like Lowes Depot to replace the glass......

:cool: