Fuel pump recommendation

Jclgodale3

Would like to go with an external fuel pump and regulator for the LT1 going into the 68. Any recommendations? Brands? Specs?

I've always liked the SX and Aeromotive pumps but they're expensive. A good Bosch internal or external mount pump will do. Never cared much for the walbros.

AZone used to sell a series of chassis/frame mounted pumps...

but the frame mounted units are getting fairly rare....

They all a fairly standard configuration....in at one end, connections and output on the other end...

I recently bought a FAST EZ-EFI kit, and it came with a Carter external pump. I am not using it because I have decided to go with an in-tank pump set up instead, so if you are interested I will sell it to you for a good price.

:beer:

I recently bought a FAST EZ-EFI kit, and it came with a Carter external pump. I am not using it because I have decided to go with an in-tank pump set up instead, so if you are interested I will sell it to you for a good price.

:beer:
May be interested. Can you email pics and price to [email protected]? Thanks and lmk

Fuel System Thoughts Please!

FUEL SYSTEM THOUGHTS PLEASE!

Not intending to Hijak this thread - just thought it sorta fits in here too.

In my typical "Parallel-Activities", I am now starting on the Fuel system. Body is (still) off the chassis, currently building new brake lines and suspension -- so, I thought while waiting for some parts to arrive -- I'd ask about the Fuel System.

I found a pretty cool illustration and added a few questions to it so if you can help, here is the picture:

12694b3f5cac86f13.jpg

This was described as a "Best Street/Strip Configuration." Is it Redundant - a Good Idea - or just more money?

http://www.centuryperformance.com/ was the source for the image...

Starting at the Fuel tank.

FUEL FILTER:

I see 100 Microns used as a suggestion at the tank - and finer at the engine. I note the diagram has only a single filter - but seems logical to put a finer close the the carb. The diagram doesn't show that -- but if it makes sense - I'll add one to each line.

FUEL PUMP(s):

My 350/383 won't get to 700 HP - so, since I'm shooting for around 400-450 (with the NOS) I should be ok with maybe 100 - 150 GPH with plenty to spare?
But if running 2 pumps - should the BOTH be that size? Or, maybe smaller - knowing the extra horsepower will be with the NOS only? (This all Stands to reason -- BUT -- I am looking for advice from experienced members here on the forum)!

Seems like the second pump should be engaged only prior to the NOS?
Seems kinda like a good idea - and use the second pump only when using the NOS.
Or should I dump the idea of dual set up?

FUEL LINES:

OK. I have seen and heard the discussion between HARD LINES and BRAIDED LINES along the frame. If I go with the hard - I'll use steel, not aluminum along the frame.

So what about using steel braided from the tank to the filter and filter to the pump? Note the image has 2 pumps and dual lines from the tank.

So, if dual sets per the Illustration - what size fuel line? 3/8 ought to do it (6 AN).

This is what they recommended on the site -- but no discussion when using dual setups:

Use these figures as a fuel line sizing
Up to 250 HP = 5/16" or -04 AN
Up to 375 HP = 3/8" or -06 AN
Up to 700 HP = 1/2" or -08 AN
Up to 1000 HP = 5/8" or -10 AN

And for return (from the regulator)lines they recommended basing these on fuel pump sizing:
Up to 45 GPH = 5/16" or -04 AN
Up to 90 GPH = 3/8" or -06 AN
Up to 250 GPH = 1/2" or -08 AN

Here it would look like dual 1/2 inch lines. Or would 3/8 inch be adequate? Again hard lines along the frame and into the tank?

I've done some more thinking and the 3/8 inch line ought to be enough. Use both for feed and return. Sound about right? added edit...

REGULATOR:

Here is a diagram from HOLLEY:

12694b40e377e6862.jpg

Would like your thoughts and recommendations here too. Somewhere around 9 psi each - or something else for the NOS Side? I am considering a Wet System, that will be another set of questions downstream.

Or should I dump the idea of dual set up? Seems kinda like a good idea - and use the second pump only when using the NOS.

Currently, the engine has a mechanical pump mounted and steel braided line to the Edelbrok carb on the Torquer intake. Steel return line from the carb - but no regulator. Hense, I am rethinking the whole set up, and gettin ready to order some parts -- 'Start the New Year off Going for Broke!'

I am in the middle of the body-off -- so now is the best time to do all this -- before some other wild idea pops into my head!

RECOMMENDATIONS? HELP! Please.

Thanks Guys, Happy New Year!

Cheers, Jim

Last edited: