Fuel pump

WhiteShadow89158

So i got a new fuel pump from zip and it looks like the steel line outlet is looking towards the headers. It doesnt really look like the line should go that way so before i install it can someone post a pic of theres installed or tell me this sounds correct. thanks

Outlet location varies by year. What year car are you working on? Most early/mid C3s had the outlet pointing rearward at an angle towards the block (which will point it towards the header tubes). C2s had the outlet pointing forward at an angle towards the driver's side.

Lars

The stock pump outlet actually points backwards at an angle. The fuel line has a sweeping curve at the pump interface to bring the line forward and up along the forward face of the block without touching the lower radiator hose.

Lars

i cant get my new fuel pump on for the life of me. the face plate is just like the old one so there should be no reason it wont mate up. what the hell is the secret to getting it attached? its mechanical pump and that lever just wont give me enough clearance to get the bolt caught.

i cant get my new fuel pump on for the life of me. the face plate is just like the old one so there should be no reason it wont mate up. what the hell is the secret to getting it attached? its mechanical pump and that lever just wont give me enough clearance to get the bolt caught.

IF it is a SBC, you have a ~1/2 inch diameter ~6" long shaft in there, running form the cam on down to the FP lever....that shaft will drop down messing up the install....I take some heavy grease and hold it up in position while installing the pump....some guys say there is a bolt hole you can use with a long bolt in it, to jamb that shaft from dropping, ....

that shaft will drop out if you take off the plate, two? more bolts...

I remove the old adapter plate, tap the engine over till the pushrod is in the retracted position.(Have someone help you with this, or the rod will fall out).
I coat the rod with grease to keep it in place, insert the rod, then bolt on the plate with the lower screws, then slide the pump lever into the plate, making sure the rod has not slipped down, then bolt on the pump. If you can get the screws on one thred or so, you can apply pressure to the pump housing with a big screwdriver while you spin the bolts in further.
It's SO easy on a stand, but a PITA on the 81 with all the smog crap in the way.

Put the engine at TDC #1 firing position. This will fully retract the pump pushrod. Slap some bearing grease on the rod and push it all the way up. The grease will hold the rod up long enough that you can install the pump.

Lars

Put the engine at TDC #1 firing position. This will fully retract the pump pushrod.

Lars

Good to know. I never even noticed/looked.:wink:

Hell, I didn't know that either. I finally learned something.:lol:

I left that comment off about the rod posiiton, cause I didn't know what position to put the crank/cam into for it to be all the way up....I have done them in all sorts of positions, but I like missionary the best....:lol::D:chinese:

well the fuel pump was just one of the things on my to-do list. I still need to install the carb and put the rear-end back into the car but i wont be able to do anything untill thanksgiving. I'm back in cali now and i didnt get enough work done to get the car shipped so it'll be a while for updates on the ride.

I've changed SO SO many small block Chevy fuel pumps in my life that I can't count them all. But when I changed the one on my '81 'Vette, I went crazy. It was hard as heck to get to and took me four hours to get the thing on due to the small amount of clearance. I removed a bunch of stuff and still could hardly get my hands down there/up there, from top and bottom, to start the bolts. I have a Mallory pump and regulator which I'll install in the next few weeks so I never have to go through that again. What a job!!!

I have found it is easier to jack it up, remove the pass front wheel, and use a 1' ext. with socket. You can just squeze under the wheel well.
I agree on the PITA part.:wink:

I've changed SO SO many small block Chevy fuel pumps in my life that I can't count them all. But when I changed the one on my '81 'Vette, I went crazy. It was hard as heck to get to and took me four hours to get the thing on due to the small amount of clearance. I removed a bunch of stuff and still could hardly get my hands down there/up there, from top and bottom, to start the bolts. I have a Mallory pump and regulator which I'll install in the next few weeks so I never have to go through that again. What a job!!!

Hey Texas Jim!

Glad to see you made it over! Welcome! :cool: