Harmonic Balancer internal or external

Kev'C3

H i everyone. On a ZZ4 350 crate engine is the harmonic balancer internally or externally balance? And is that the same with the fly wheel?:confused: Your help would be much appreciated!! Thanks Kevin.

A 350" motor is internally balanced, you can use any old store bought harmonic damper and flywheel.
A stroker is externally balanced so you'll need a specific damper and flywheel balanced to the rotating assembly. You don't want to use those on an internally balanced engine.

Harmonic balancer for ZZ4 350 internal or external

Looking in the GM performance parts catalog,it show ZZ4 350 as a externally balance engine! then I heard that the harmonic balancer are the same as any other SBC but with externally balance fly wheel. Is this possible?:confused:

Yes. There are internal/external balanced engines, set up like that.
Let me be honest, I am no engine builder. My experience is only with the one in my car.

Actually the 350 is partly internal balanced as the rear crank flange is also a balance pad. Being a zz4 and as such 1pc rms it does not have a balance pad and therefore a counterweighted flywheel or flex plate. Another reason for the bolt circle difference. The damper howevetr is for int bal. on a zz4.
As for stroker engines. Not all are externally balanced. Im building an internal balanced 396 sbc.

Harmonic balancer for ZZ4 350 internal or external

Wow I always learn something new! thanks for the clarification on the ZZ4 H.balancer. Now I can spend money on something else!:yahoo: Thanks again Kevin!