Hi from Holland

renevette

Hi guys, would like to introduce myself as a very happy owner of my dream car which requires a lot of work to bring back to life.

My name is Rene, 45 years young, i am living in the Netherlands and i am the proud owner of a 1980 4 speed manual Corvette.

I worked for 23 years as a mechanical engineer at a company which overhauls and modifies gearboxes and transmissions, designing and calculating industrial and marine gearboxes. Currently i am head of the engineering department of this company, so at least i can have some work done on my Vette if it has anything to do with gears or splines, as we can manufacture these in house...

My '80 is a neglected basket case, sorry to say but that is the truth. I have bought it because it is my dream car as long as i can remember and for me the hobby is restoring something that is broken, and trying to improve it along the way is an extra bonus.

All respect to those who keep their car original to the last nut & bolt, i am not one of them.

I recently started a complete body off by taking my car apart to the bare frame.

I have some specific ideas about what i would like to do with the suspension of the car and i found this website to be exactly what i was looking for: a bunch of car enthousiasts with the same passion for engineering as i have myself and willing to help out a fellow member.

I will probably have a ton of questions, but i have found a lot of highly experienced members on this site, great!

Nice to meet you all and thanks for taking me on board. :thumbs:

Greetings from Ridderkerk/The Netherlands/Europe

Rene

Last edited:
Welcome to the motley crew.....

We have a founding member here TwinTurbo or TT is his handle, Marck is from the Netherlands also....and heavy into cars of all types, has a C3 he has been stalled on for some time, so maybe your project will encourage some activity....:thumbs::cool::smash:

Welcome - Fellow Suspension Enthusist

Welcome Rene -

I too wanted a new suspension - and am nearing completion of my second effort. You'll have a lot of challenges - but there are ways.
I am currently in need of some splined shafts to bring it to completion. Serendipitous that you just join now?!

Cheers - Jim
BTW -- POST Pics of your basket case too!

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I have seen Marck's name a few times around here as a fellow-Dutchman and i have read almost every article of him in this forum (which are a LOT!), wished i have 1/10th of his suspension knowledge....

But there are a lot of skilled members around here and i am willing to learn so what can go wrong? :thumbs:

And yes, i work at a factory who is capable of cutting and grinding of internal and external splines in all kind of sizes, and perform various heat treatments as well. And offcourse i have already studied the possibility to manufacture splined slip half-shafts... :wink:

Something to look after in the nearby future i guess.

That is great.
I'm getting quotes for 8 inch (oops I mean 200mm) long dual splined output shafts to "mate" the C3 differential to C5/6 CV half shafts.
I do have a PAIR slip shafts in the living room (along with my 6-link Giovanni Suspension.) I need the C5/6 half shafts to fit the C5/6 Uprights and bearings in my dual wishbone suspension.

Good fun.

Cheers - JIM

Welcome to VM :hi:
Seems like you're up to no good, like most of us :smash: :lol:

And yes, i work at a factory who is capable of cutting and grinding of internal and external splines in all kind of sizes, and perform various heat treatments as well. And offcourse i have already studied the possibility to manufacture splined slip half-shafts... :wink:

Extra strength half-shafts with 31 splin counts (as compared to 17)are sold by Toms Differentials. http://www.tomsdifferentials.com/2011catalog/Pages14-23.pdf) You can see them in his web-site catalog. He had them custom made (by Eaton?). He probably had, at one time, a large number made. My guess is that when he runs out of his inventory, he won't have any more made. So if you ever want to duplicate these components you may have a market in the future.

He also sells large diameter half-axles and larger size u-joints for extra foot-pound torque ratings.

Last edited:
Thanks, i will definately look at the possibilities in the future. I must have a lot more info on these shafts/splines to see if we have the proper cutting tools. Our company is european based (metric module cutters) but we carry a lot of imperal/inch sized cutters in our inventory. Beside the proper module there is a lot of other info required to manufacture a correct spline such as teeth height, teeth span, feet and tip radius, fitment, material, heat treatment, final finishing method and so on. Maybe i can contact Marck in the future as he is also from Holland and maybe can supply me with info and perhaps a couple of examples of these shafts to take dimensions.

Upon this moment i have a pile of rusty steel which was once a proud 1980 Vette which i have to deal with first.

I think it is best to open a topic of my build in the "Project" part of this forum? :thankyou:

Hey, Rene, welcome to VM!
Lots of talented and experienced enthusiasts here, and a wide variety of modified Corvettes. You'll fit in well here.
Keep us updated on your project. :thumbs: