How many six-footers here?

Luster

Compulsively Anal
My legs are so long (@6-4) that I have to open my door to pull up my socks.

I've already busted off my turn signal/dimmer with my knee while getting out of the car.

These cars definitely weren't designed with us big boys in mind. ... ... ... ... ... But that will never stop me!!!:bounce:

6'2", 200 lbs. here, I feel your pain. I sit so far back that I want to relocate the shifter so I can reach it without having to lean forward out of the seat. I am always concerned about the t/s lever too. If it wasn't for the tilt column I'd need a sling hoist just to get in & out of the car.:gurney:

I am always concerned about the t/s lever too.

Yeah, I've heard of guys busting it off with their foot when they get IN the car. It's kind of far down the column, and, if it's dimly lit, you can't really see it. WHACK!!! Not easliy fixed BTW!:clobbered:

I'm 6'1" (211lbs but no smokes for nearly 6 weeks either :thumbs:) and it isn't too bad getting in and out for me. I could see how it would be a pain for you "longer" guys.

I"m 6'5" and going to be 65 shortly, arthritis is my sore point, so some years ago for a whole long list of mods, in '01-02 winter, I pulled the car up on stands, and basically tore it apart,,...just a body on the frame, it and me had a long though out conversation.....

I have a TTele wheel in there from a '78 up car, and so with the later shark wheel....I pulled the column back with a piece of 3/4 wood as a spacer, flipping the silver slip thingys' around on the flange, I obviously keep the wheel extended toward me....

I cut the floorboard on each side in a U shape, from the bottom of the column height and down/across the floor following the contours, wedged it in with a stick against the back thwart, and glassed it in....bought another 3" of room on the bottom there, that allowed me to cut/weld the brake pedal for lower, and heat/bend the gas pedal lever too.....dropping my knees a solid 2" off the wheel area...I NEVER hit any levers now....

the rear of the seat tracks had the flanges removed, lowering it about 1.5 inches in back, run the seat back snubs up a piece to keep seat reasonably off the back convertible top hatch.....pulled out ALL the carpet/padding from under the front flanges to gain 1/2 inch there too....when I recovered my seat first time 15 years ago when buying the car, I re used the OEM seat foam, the aftermarket crap is made for show car plump show winning looks, but it sets some 2" higher....making my head hurt getting in and out with the top up....I removed the seat belt cover, and some springs from the seat bottom to let it sag lower even yet.....

I think you will find just swinging that firewall forward, and lowering the pedals will have a HUGE affect on your seating, my wife is a foot shorter and 120 lbs lighter, little old bitty thang, even she can drive it by running the seat up and using a cushion behind her....

BTW, I drive in the James Dean slouch position...LEFT wrist over top of the wheel 12' position,....leaning on the console cover, way back raked.....edit, jeexsh.....

I don't smoke, so I can't complete the pose.....

:devil::cussing::surrender:

Last edited:
I"m 6'5" and going to be 65 shortly, arthritis is my sore point, so some years ago for a whole long list of mods, in '01-02 winter, I pulled the car up on stands, and basically tore it apart,,...just a body on the frame, it and me had a long though out conversation.....

I have a TTele wheel in there from a '78 up car, and so with the later shark wheel....I pulled the column back with a piece of 3/4 wood as a spacer, flipping the silver slip thingys' around on the flange, I obviously keep the wheel extended toward me....

I cut the floorboard on each side in a U shape, from the bottom of the column height and down/across the floor following the contours, wedged it in with a stick against the back thwart, and glassed it in....bought another 3" of room on the bottom there, that allowed me to cut/weld the brake pedal for lower, and heat/bend the gas pedal lever too.....dropping my knees a solid 2" off the wheel area...I NEVER hit any levers now....

the rear of the seat tracks had the flanges removed, lowering it about 1.5 inches in back, run the seat back snubs up a piece to keep seat reasonably off the back convertible top hatch.....pulled out ALL the carpet/padding from under the front flanges to gain 1/2 inch there too....when I recovered my seat first time 15 years ago when buying the car, I re used the OEM seat foam, the aftermarket crap is made for show car plump show winning looks, but it sets some 2" higher....making my head hurt getting in and out with the top up....I removed the seat belt cover, and some springs from the seat bottom to let it sag lower even yet.....

I think you will find just swinging that firewall forward, and lowering the pedals will have a HUGE affect on your seating, my wife is a foot shorter and 120 lbs lighter, little old bitty thang, even she can drive it by running the seat up and using a cushion behind her....

BTW, I drive in the James Dean slouch position...right wrist over top of the wheel 12' position,....leaning on the console cover, way back raked.....

I don't smoke, so I can't complete the pose.....

:devil::cussing::surrender:

HIGHEST PRAISE to the KING of "Big-Guy" Mods!!! I may try some of those tricks, but nothing that involves "cutting & welding"... Not exactly my speciality!!!:eek:

I'm 6'2" and 205 lbs. I just have to duck pretty good to not hit my head getting in. Once I'm in, all's good!

6'3", 195 here. Other than removing the driver's side t-top headliner for some extra helmet clearance, the car fits me pretty well.
The '84 is a bit more cramped for me when wearing a helmet. Future plans are to remove the heavy power seat motors/etc, and modifying a set of lighter manual seat brackets.

6'6" about 275. I bought the first C3 that I could honestly sit in and drive. For me the glass T's make a big difference in my 82. That and the fact that there's probably not much foam left in that drivers seat. There's definately room for improvement though. Definately have to study mrvette's mods :thumbs:

6'6" about 275. I bought the first C3 that I could honestly sit in and drive. For me the glass T's make a big difference in my 82. That and the fact that there's probably not much foam left in that drivers seat. There's definately room for improvement though. Definately have to study mrvette's mods :thumbs:

Well, thanks for the consideration, not that it in any way makes up for being tooooooooo tall, especially in the backbone....I have a extra lo lumbar vertebrae that made me not useful for military service.....but I would much rather have traded my fucking back for a few years of fun....serious...

so most of my height is in my backbone, hense the seat mods...YMMV...

I can say that every inch on the pedals and firewall position is about 2" on your legs/wheel be shocked and amazed, I was.....I figgered 3" forward would get me maybe a inch off the wheel...it was MUCH more than that....

my ONE small experiment in ergonomics... I did it by just removing the pedals entirely, and setting there with just a naked firewall....once again YMMV...

:bestwishes:

6-2 and 280. It's tight. But on the GOOD side, I don't slide around in the seat very much. And Ol' Red doesn't have any of that "GIRLIE" stuff like a Tilt wheel.

6'1" 240 with t-tops on its a pain even more so since the lower half of my back is welded together,with tops off its fairly easy.

6'6" about 275. I bought the first C3 that I could honestly sit in and drive. For me the glass T's make a big difference in my 82.

6'3", 210 lbs, and I would not enjoy driving without the glass tops. I need every inch of those. The stupid power seat raises the seat too high. BUT,Teri likes it. Her car, her choice.:cry:

6'4" 275" It's a snug fit for me.
Tops off no problem, but with tops on I have to slide in and shimmy around to get situated. With a 4 speed, working the clutch is an art! :rolleyes:
I just fit. No idea how anybody any bigger would fit???

Thank God for Glass Tops & TT wheel!

No way I could wear a helmet with the tops on.

I think any TT column with late shark wheel, lowering the seat tracks in back by removing the flanges from the tracks, worth about 1.5 inches or so as I remember, then using the old foam, removing the seat belt cover, and swinging the floorboard forward and lowering the pedals, WILL cure most any seating problem for us tall guys.....

next time round I want to be 6'2" no taller, and no extra back bone....

with rust proof joints, maybe made from Polycantpronounceit.:gurney: