How much cooling does engine oil do?

After taking a closer look at the frontal area of my 80 style bumper it appears that the open area is a good bit smaller than the original 77 bumper. The instructions that I got with the 80 style bumper re-used the original grills. The grills are at the wrong angle for the bumper and the area that they are installed in is a good bit less. There appears to be a good bit of room to enlarge the openings for the grills and also open the area were the plate would go.

Once I get in there I'll look a little closer at the reservoir.

Neal

To each his own, but I bet a '73 style bumper would look better and cool better. Just my humble opinion. I like the C5 Z06 wheels. I think I remember when you bolted them on. I would love to see under your bumper to see the size of the bottom openings. Sometimes when you bolt on an 80-82 bumper, you have to bolt on a bumper extension. Did you? You sure don't need that reservoir with non-pop up headlights.
Bee Jay

Yea, kinda wish I would have stayed with the 77 front end with the larger openings on the front. back when I put the 80 bumper on it I liked the longer nose but didn't thinnk about the BB install and cooling issues.

I reused the valance from my 77 as far as the openings go they are the same.

Not sure what a bumper extension is, can you explain?

I don't have a lift so not sure if I can take pics of the front end. I'll give it shot this after noon and see. If I can get some good pics I'll post them.

Neal

There are several posts on the forums where the big block guys solved their overheating issues by removing the front plates. Those big blocks can generate some heat. You went the other way. I did an experiment once where I actually blocked my front grills and made my car a bottom feeder like the C4. I didn't see any increase in water temperture, but I'm only running 350 cubic inches, for now.
Bee Jay
100_1421.jpg
100_1422.jpg
100_1423.jpg
100_1429.jpg

Good thing some of us are not too local to each other, we'd never get any money made for spending time on the cars.....:harhar::devil:

I had to tell the wife that Bee Jay made me do it,

I've got the front bumper off and the support right behind the bumper removed. I'll work on cutting the hole in the support right behind the plate mount and cut the hole in the bumper.

Removing the vacuum reservior wont be much of a chaleng now with every thing on the front of the car removed.

I'll more than likely make a small support out of alluminum to tie the lower core support brackets back to the frame.

I'll have to wait and see once I've got the reservior out.

Here are some pics of the vailance area for Bee Jay.

2554aaeffb79adad.jpg

2554aaeffba6526f.jpg

2554aaeffb8986b5.jpg

2554aaeffb982726.jpg

Neal

Good thing some of us are not too local to each other, we'd never get any money made for spending time on the cars.....:harhar::devil:

Yep some times I get so cought up in working on this thing I've got to make myself go to work and not take a day off to work on the car. But than some times I get so pissed at this thing that I don't go in the shop for a day or so till I cool off.

Neal :bounce:

Yep some times I get so cought up in working on this thing I've got to make myself go to work and not take a day off to work on the car. But than some times I get so pissed at this thing that I don't go in the shop for a day or so till I cool off.

It's a hobby. I don't smoke, don't drink, don't do recreational drugs, and my wife won't let me chase women no more. I don't play golf and I don't gamble. I don't play bridge or other card games. I work on my cars and motorcycle and test drive them like I stole them. My wife knows where I'm at at all times.
It's all good.
Bee Jay

I had to tell the wife that Bee Jay made me do it,

I've got the front bumper off and the support right behind the bumper removed. I'll work on cutting the hole in the support right behind the plate mount and cut the hole in the bumper.

Removing the vacuum reservior wont be much of a chaleng now with every thing on the front of the car removed.

I'll more than likely make a small support out of alluminum to tie the lower core support brackets back to the frame.

I'll have to wait and see once I've got the reservior out.

Here are some pics of the vailance area for Bee Jay.

2554aaeffb79adad.jpg

2554aaeffba6526f.jpg

2554aaeffb8986b5.jpg

2554aaeffb982726.jpg

Neal

Good for you. Get er done! When you paint your car, I'll show you how I protect my front spoiler's paint job.
Bee Jay

It's a hobby. I don't smoke, don't drink, don't do recreational drugs, and my wife won't let me chase women no more. I don't play golf and I don't gamble. I don't play bridge or other card games. I work on my cars and motorcycle and test drive them like I stole them. My wife knows where I'm at at all times.
It's all good.
Bee Jay

Sounds like ME, not tearing some house apart, I"m victimizing some vehicle or other.....poor little innocent vette.....:toothbrush::harhar::devil:

I've got all the metal out of the front end, vacuum reservior and the front crash bar.

I've steped back and took a closer look at what needs to be there and what can be replaced with something lighter to support the core support and bumper.

I'm planing on replacing the crash bar with an aluminum pipe and the vacuum reservior with a small bracket made of lighter material.

I'm going to enlarge the openings were the grills are and also were the plate goes.

I'll need to find some form of screen to make some covers for the openings.

Neal

Last edited:
I've got all the metal out of the front end, vacuum reservior and the front crash bar.

I've steped back and took a closer look at what needs to be there and what can be replaced with something lighter to support the core support and bumper.

I'm planing on replacing the crash bar with an aluminum pipe and the vacuum reservior with a small bracket made of lighter material.

I'm going to enlarge the openings were the grills are and also were the plate goes.

Neal
What are you calling the crash bar. Is it the metal crossmember behind the bumper. I dropped about 8lbs on it by drilling holes. If you mean the part that is behind the license plate that hooks up to the air reservoir, get rid of it. It's in the way of opening that area up for additional cooling. You can keep the factory grills on the two sides. Take some pictures of your progress.
Bee Jay

Neal
What are you calling the crash bar. Is it the metal crossmember behind the bumper. I dropped about 8lbs on it by drilling holes. If you mean the part that is behind the license plate that hooks up to the air reservoir, get rid of it. It's in the way of opening that area up for additional cooling. You can keep the factory grills on the two sides. Take some pictures of your progress.
Bee Jay

The crossmember right behind the bumper is what I'm calling the crash bar. The reservior will be left out. The factory grills may not be large enough once the openings on the front of the bumper are enlarged.

I've got some pics I'll post them this afternoon.

Neal

Neal
Bee Jay

The crossmember right behind the bumper is what I'm calling the crash bar. The reservior will be left out. The factory grills may not be large enough once the openings on the front of the bumper are enlarged.

I've got some pics I'll post them this afternoon.

Neal
I think we have created a munster. If you don't plan on using the factory grills, you can leave the front metal crossmember out entirely. It's main fuction in life is to hold the grill brackets in place. Well, it also holds the corugated thing that shapes the flexible bumper, but you have a hard fiberglass bumper.

Bee Jay

What are those coolers, oil coolers? Cool, kinda like the Boxter or F430. They have grills on either side and none in the middle. While you have everything apart, get some self adhesive foam rubber strips from Home Depot and seal your radiator. Make sure that any air going from the front of the radiator to the engine compartment goes thru the radiator. I sealed mine up pretty good and that is one of the reasons the headlights pop up at 140 mph.
Bee Jay

What are those coolers, oil coolers? Cool, kinda like the Boxter or F430. They have grills on either side and none in the middle. While you have everything apart, get some self adhesive foam rubber strips from Home Depot and seal your radiator. Make sure that any air going from the front of the radiator to the engine compartment goes thru the radiator. I sealed mine up pretty good and that is one of the reasons the headlights pop up at 140 mph.
Bee Jay

The coolers are for the bypass line from the intake to the water pump. On a BB this line passes hot water to the water pump and bypasses the radiator. Noonie has recommended plugging this line to force all the water through the radiator for max cooling. When I removed and capped the bypass line it made the water pump cavitate and my temps would swing violently. This was a way to add some cooling to the water flow through the bypass line while at speed but still give the pump the water flow it needs.

I had around 6' of that foam strip shoved in every gap I could force it into before taking the front apart.

I was able to get the reservoir and the cross member on the scale. The reservoir weighed 39.95lbs and the cross member weighed 23.65lbs.

I ran out of oxygen for my torch so I'll have to finish cutting the core support bracket out tomorrow.

Neal

Bee Jay

The coolers are for the bypass line from the intake to the water pump. On a BB this line passes hot water to the water pump and bypasses the radiator. Noonie has recommended plugging this line to force all the water through the radiator for max cooling. When I removed and capped the bypass line it made the water pump cavitate and my temps would swing violently. This was a way to add some cooling to the water flow through the bypass line while at speed but still give the pump the water flow it needs.

I had around 6' of that foam strip shoved in every gap I could force it into before taking the front apart.

I was able to get the reservoir and the cross member on the scale. The reservoir weighed 39.95lbs and the cross member weighed 23.65lbs.

I ran out of oxygen for my torch so I'll have to finish cutting the core support bracket out tomorrow.

Neal

Those are water coolers? I've never seen anything like that. I guess it didn't work if you were still having cooling issues. I don't know what to think about that, but I've never owned a big block. You sure had a lot of stuff in front of your radiator. Since you told your wife it's all my fault, I sure as heck hope this works for you like it did for me. At least your losing about 60 lbs off of the front end.
Bee Jay

That big block bypass line you're talking about is an anti cavitation bypass for when the thermostat is closed. The small block pumps have a bypass hole in the passenger side mounting leg, big blocks do not.

That big block bypass line you're talking about is an anti cavitation bypass for when the thermostat is closed. The small block pumps have a bypass hole in the passenger side mounting leg, big blocks do not.

Didn't know that, I can tell you that it works. The cavitation went away when I hooked it all back up.

Neal

Bee Jay

Neal

Those are water coolers? I've never seen anything like that. I guess it didn't work if you were still having cooling issues. I don't know what to think about that, but I've never owned a big block. You sure had a lot of stuff in front of your radiator. Since you told your wife it's all my fault, I sure as heck hope this works for you like it did for me. At least your losing about 60 lbs off of the front end.
Bee Jay

Haven't had cooling issues since I added them and the remote oil cooler but the temps haven't been in the 90's either. I'm waiting on some warm weather to see how its gona go.

But then I've only driven the car twice since I added the bypass coolers and the oil cooler.

Neal