How to clean Ceramic Pipes???

Phill's Vette

I bought a set of used Hooker side pipes and they have a bit of surface rust in some places. What is the best way to clean them and also to polish? I did try some steel wool in a little spot and that seemed to work but I don't want to hurt the coating.
Thanks and Merry Christmas!

I would't use the steel wool, you'll scratch the coating and they will start to rust even worse. The best you can do is try using some rust converter product and then spraying them with a high heat silver paint. Are you talking about the headers or the side tubes themselves?

Some wheel polish goes a long way too on normal applications, I have cheap chrome wheels on my truck (still) and I always polished them so you couldn't see the small rust specs, after polishing they would shine like new with only small black spots where there was corrosion. I gave up on it and drove the car with salty roads, rain and snow...the wheels look like crap now. Rust everywhere. Only problem for you, you'd have to keep polishing those headers and who knows how long it will hold before it starts to rust again.

Anyone used Calyx, the stuff they sell at Eastwood? I have never tried it but could be worth a shot. Maybe someone here has some experience with it.

Tried it, not really impressed, it needs a lot of upkeep to keep it looking fresh but it's not too bad a product

Anyone used Calyx, the stuff they sell at Eastwood? I have never tried it but could be worth a shot. Maybe someone here has some experience with it.

I used it on some old exhaust manifolds. I must say that it worked pretty good. Went on like shoe polish and lasted until I sold the wreck......errr I mean beautiful frame on restored numbers matching....bla, bla bla.

I don't know if it would blend in with the chrome. It is more of a cast like finish.

There's the answer.

I put a brand new set of headers on a motor I did. They were ceramic coated.

I had a valve cover leak.

Oil got all over the headers and baked on good.

I took the header off and cleaned it with..........................NEVER DULL.

Came out like NEW.

Steel wool, even 00 will scratch. Some of the softer Scotch Brite pads would scatch also.

Trust me on this....NEVER DULL KICKS ASS for this application.

Hey, not to hijack, but can you start a thread with some detail on that intake in your avatar?

One of my long term desires is to go to a similar intake. Type, cost, etc....

Thanks.

Hey, not to hijack, but can you start a thread with some detail on that intake in your avatar?

Thanks.

jsup, thats a future mod for me. just a dream right now..gonna cost probably around 2500 to 3000 to get it going..

Thanks.

jsup, thats a future mod for me. just a dream right now..gonna cost probably around 2500 to 3000 to get it going..

Will it fit under a hood without modification and is there an EFI version?

Last edited: