I need suggestions on..............

BigBlockTank

Tucson, AZ Not heaven, but it's a toll free call f
brake lines for my 69. I'm going to replace the lines, the steel lines, thru the whole car. I'm replacing the proportioning valve also. I've already replaced the calipers, the swing arm hard lines and put on all new stainless braided lines.

Is there a vendor associated with VM that somebody would recommend?

Is there another company that you have used that was good for you?

I really don't want to do this, but I don't play with brakes and tires, so, I'm doing it. I would just like your experience with this. Thanks in advance.

BBTank

I redid mine on the '72, should be same as your '69, some years ago...just parts house lines, put a brass coupler in the rear line, used a adaptor into the m/cyl for some nut/line size problem, GM being weird with brake line nutz and sizes and shit for some reason, at the same time I eliminated that brake pressure switch, which is not a prop valve, just a switch because mine leaked for the last time at one of the machined openings, on the end or the switch itself....so the rear goes to the m/cyl directly, so does the front in a similar fashion...
the rear line was a bit of a PIA, but not SO awful evil had the whole car on stands, obviously, wheels off, all day affair including new O rings in the rear calipers:drink:

You can get bulk line at the NAPA stores. 25 foot is what I recall. They usually try to sell the short premade pipes in front of the counter but if you push a bit they can find the bulk line.

I used corvette central. I bought the stainless steel lines...they were good but the bends needed a little work.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions guys. I have done hydraulic lines on aircraft, I think I can bend/rebend any line that comes unbent. I was asking what you guys have done in the past, I'm willing to learn from your suggestions.

I just wanted to know from others.

I was thinking about replacing the whole brake line system, with prebent lines, from a good source. I mean, these lines are 40 years old. I have a leak at the two new front braided lines at the hard line connection. I'm sure I didn't cross thread both of those. I think I would have felt that with my fingers, before a wrench even went on it.

Thanks again, guys, I'm still listening!!!

BBTank :drink:

I used a pre-bent stainless line I got from Paragon (I think). I had to get the car on a lift and it took a little tweaking but I got it in. The SS line doesen't bend easily but it goes back into shape after you fish it through the crossmember.

I replaced my whole system the only hard part was fishing the front to back line threw the cross member. I didn't have a lift so I did it with only a floor jack and jack stands. I think i worked that line from the back to the front all in all it wasn't that bad.

I replaced my whole system the only hard part was fishing the front to back line threw the cross member. I didn't have a lift so I did it with only a floor jack and jack stands. I think i worked that line from the back to the front all in all it wasn't that bad.

I"v done 2-3 of them including my own, they not all THAT bad with body on....but surely easier when it's naked....

I used a piece of steel fish tape like sparky's use in house walls...but the loop off the end, fed it through the end of the brake line, a few inches, then pushed/pulled it through making sure the tape did not come out of the brake line....

werked for ME....

:flash:

I've used SS car kits and had 2-3 that needed to be tweeked to fit. You also have to jump on the nuts with the SS. Sometimes they can be a PITA, I use a Motive to check for system leaks afterwards. Given the fact I don't plan on using the cars as a DD I probably could have used steel and had an easier time of it and saved some cash too.

do an internet search for Classic Tube if your looking for pre-bent, they actually bend the stuff opposed to a vendor who only sells them.

Thanks for ALL the responses guys.

After jumping the gun, because I had a leak, I actually found the problem the other day.

I have been communicating with a Gary G. from VB&P. He told me (I didn't know it, and wanted to pass it on to you guys) the SS braided lines I bought are manufactured in the UK, but to US standards. He admitted that occasionally one slips thru that may not be up to their standards, which is what I got. Those lines will be traded out, and the leak will be fixed, I'm very sure of it.

I hope I didn't blow a gasket, it's just very frustrating when you take your time and something (always) seems to happen. I've owned tis 69 Coupe for just over 3 years and it's been on jackstands about half the time. That's another reason I blew a cork. I've been taking my time to fix/replace/repair all the incorrect/bubba'd/ or worn out items that I find.

I'm just trying to finish this car, so I can make a decision to keep it, or sell it and start over. I'd like to be able to find a C-2 I could afford..............right!!

Keep on with the new lines.........done it? How would you do it over/again, if you had to?

Thanks guys,
BBTank

After jumping the gun, because I had a leak, I actually found the problem the other day.

I have been communicating with a Gary G. from VB&P. He told me (I didn't know it, and wanted to pass it on to you guys) the SS braided lines I bought are manufactured in the UK, but to US standards. He admitted that

I have been building my own stainless braided brake lines with components from Aeroquip for years and never had a problem...it`s actually quite easy to do.

I lucky enough to have two dealers for lines/hoses on the same street about 3 miles away....Erols and Aeroquip.....I prefer Aeroquip, it's a industrial dealer handling serious shit....this dinky little crap HVAC and brake crap is nothing to him....even fuel hoses....

:D

I have been communicating with a Gary G. from VB&P. He told me (I didn't know it, and wanted to pass it on to you guys) the SS braided lines I bought are manufactured in the UK, but to US standards. He admitted that

I have been building my own stainless braided brake lines with components from Aeroquip for years and never had a problem...it`s actually quite easy to do.

I lucky enough to have two dealers for lines/hoses on the same street about 3 miles away....Erols and Aeroquip.....I prefer Aeroquip, it's a industrial dealer handling serious shit....this dinky little crap HVAC and brake crap is nothing to him....even fuel hoses....

I have made some hydraulic lines also. I'm just a bit cautious about brake lines. I'm sending those front lines back in the AM (Mon.) and will get some more. I don't think I need the frustration of changing all the steel lines just yet. I just want to get it back on the ground, safe and sound, to drive it.

BBTank

There ya go Tank. In 40 years of restoring cars, I have never had to replace but a couple hard lines. It must be a road salt thing.With California cars, A good flushing out, and steel wool outside, and there ya go.
I too tire of spending good money, doing it the right way, and having to redo something do to inferior crap. ON THE UP SIDE, Corvettes are EASY, yes EASY, because you CAN buy ANYTHING new. Try THAT with a 38 Buick, or a 49 Bentley, or a ............... You get the picture. Even Model T parts are EASY to get now. I am working on a 68 Jag this week, and EASY, anything you want is available.
BUT, when you pay thru the nose for a repop part, you WANT to GET the quality you pay for. Unfortunately, I find 50% of repops are CRAP.

BTW, my thoughts on SS brake lines. Just not necessary. I can see where you guys back east have problems, but face it, after restoration, you won't be exposing the car to daily road salt exposure. Mild steel lines seal easier, and work just fine.

gee I sure hope the stainless steel lines we are talking about are the flex hoses.....

I guess I should clarify:
SS flex hoses=good
SS hard lines= frivalous

I have never used SS flex hoses, for one thing they were not DOT approved untill recently...for some odd reason....since my cars are NOT race cars...well...

my f/rear brake line on this vette was changed maybe 3 years ago....the old one finally broke....not so bad, being a '72, is it likely to fail again in MY lifetime, very doubtful....