Jack oil? Really?

73 Mike

I'll drive it someday
Am I the only one that didn't know that you need to change the oil in a jack? I was whining at Sears about yet another one of my top quality K-Mart, I mean Sears tools failing. I mean if you can't trust cheap, Chinese junk from Sears, who can you trust? The sales guy suggested that I change the oil. I thought he was pulling my leg until he handed me a pint of jack oil. I must admit, I was afraid of what was going to come out of the bottle. Amazingly enough, the jack is good as new.

Now my pneumatic grease gun went in the garbage, but I'll save that rant for another day.

I have heard of adding oil, but not changing it.

I too never dreamt of changing jack oil but if it will help my high dollar worthless Lincoln I'm willing to try it.

I added oil ... I was surprised to see that they sell jack-oil in the same containers as gear oil.... painted the bottle rattle can bright red before I put it on my shelf just to make sure I don't put this stuff in a differential...:trumpet:

here it is:

214d69be47098bd.jpg

Pretty sure I bought it at AutoZone... maybe I should ask them about a jack oil filter next time I'm at the store... :lol:

I have several hundred hydraulic elevators I work on and the only time I had to change the oil was when it was burned and only because they had a submersible motor and the oil would become conductive when burned. Some of these elevators are 40 years old.

It's basically just straight 10w hydraulic oil. You could use ATF if you really wanted, but I wouldn't mix them. No need to pay any extra just for a label that reads "jack oil".

I have several hundred hydraulic elevators I work on and the only time I had to change the oil was when it was burned and only because they had a submersible motor and the oil would become conductive when burned. Some of these elevators are 40 years old.

Decent filters;)

Wait till you have to find metric orings etc to rebuild the offshore jacks.
It was faster for me to regroove the piston and gland to accept our sizes.

Decent filters;)

Wait till you have to find metric orings etc to rebuild the offshore jacks.
It was faster for me to regroove the piston and gland to accept our sizes.

There are really no filters most of them have a screen in the up leveling ajuster that needs to be cleaned every now and then