jet hot scuff removal

stinger12

A while back I bought a used set of hooker headers. The owner of them had them jet-hot coated with the "2000" finish. This is the really matte finish that feels like freshly sandblasted steel, only it is much rougher. The 2000 finish withstands higher temps than the sterling finish. Well, here is the dilemma. Throughout shipping with my body and the rest of my parts, the finish has accumulated lots of scuffs. This is due to the rough finish on them...its almost like sandpaper. I tried removing them with a wire wheel, and it seemed to work, but it also made them more smooth...is this gonna ruin the jethot, or am i worrying about nothing? what else will remove these scuffs...there a blue ones, white ones, and all different colors lol.

Last edited:
If you have different colored scuffs it sounds like its not like scratches in the coating but deposits of something on the surface. You'll have to figure out what the deposits are. Paint , Plastic ,Aluminum ? Have you tried heat ?

Try to bead blast the marks with low air pressure. Ceramic is harder than glass so it might work. I would try maybe 20psi and work up from there.

There are a few spots where you can see the bare metal and the ceramic coating has been chipped off. Overall, they are in pretty good condition. there are also a few surface rust spots, but I don't think its actual rust...just deposits of rust from where the sidepipes slip onto the collectors. A wire wheel was working great, but I was afraid that it might dwstroy the integrity of the coating, so I stopped. I honestly might sandblast the stuff off and paint them with high temp paint...there are some areas that are down to bare metal, and that scares me. Here I go again, driving myself crazy over nothing!