just shimmed out PS pump for the steeroids set up

Did you do this on the stock pump? I just added the 4 shims to my 1991 vette pump (on a 1980 with the steeroids kit) and it turns like a tank at slow speeds.

I think its scarey to put too much torque on that double u-joint setup. It's sure to bind up.

Did you do this on the stock pump? I just added the 4 shims to my 1991 vette pump (on a 1980 with the steeroids kit) and it turns like a tank at slow speeds.

yes i did this on a stock pump that was not designed for the R&P set up. if the 91 originally had a R&P set up i dont know why you would need to change anything. from what i am told the two different steering systems required different pressures to make them work. the stock reqd 1300 psi and the R&P needed 900....so if you shimmed out a 91 pump that originally produced 900 psi you may have only 500-600 psi.

i bet you dont have to do anything to the 91 pump to get the right feel, but why not keep taking the shims out one at a time until it feels right.

Thanks for the reply. I went down to two shims. I won't have a chance to check it until this weekend. From the info I could find, the pump puts out around 1100 psi,:skeptic: so two should be pretty close.

Thanks for the reply. I went down to two shims. I won't have a chance to check it until this weekend. From the info I could find, the pump puts out around 1100 psi,:skeptic: so two should be pretty close.

that sounds like a good choice....its amazing how such a little shim can make that much difference...i will be interested in hearing how you like the feel

I think its scarey to put too much torque on that double u-joint setup. It's sure to bind up.

I thought the same thing, and especially with me knocking apart junkyard U joints, and switch mix into something I could use, obviously they are all staked on the U joints, same as factory, and then when new I tested on the rougher driveway, no assist, and got a brawney buddy to turn the wheel as I looked close with a flashlight and found nothing remiss....

:cool::huh2::suspicious: But I go there checking several time per year since then winter 01-02.....nothing rong...tmrw is another day....and I"m not racing/autocrossing it....just 255/50/17 tires in front....

street driven daily....

:friends: