just wont rev

CLASS OF 69

a few months ago my wife says her 1990 is running funny so i took it for a ride (50 miles round trip) it started out running a little slugish drove 25 miles no drastic problems noticed - about 5 miles from home it acted like it was out of fuel (it had 12 gal when i drained) then died, i got it started and crawled home - engine just would not rev no power obtained at most 5 MPH. I have drained the tank cleaned and changed the in tank fuel pump including the sock and gauge sending unit as well as the inline filter (by the way the manual only covers the inline filter replacement on coups it is much/much more work on a ragtop) still idles very/very rough and only crawls. :mad:
desperately seaking advice !!!
thum_7594ff12442695dd.jpg

test your injectors if they are the multecs they always take a crap and car will feel like it is pulling a boat. Or plugged cats.

I'm going to make a stupid suggestion, but just on a whim, check your exhaust while revving the engine. I'm betting the cat has come apart and plugged the exhaust pipe. Long shot, but it happens more than you think.

I'm going to make a stupid suggestion, but just on a whim, check your exhaust while revving the engine. I'm betting the cat has come apart and plugged the exhaust pipe. Long shot, but it happens more than you think.

Yep. It will do a number on the car instantly.:wink:

Thought them things were some kind of honey comb shit, instead of pellets, just to stop that type shit.....

:shocking::eek:

Thought them things were some kind of honey comb shit, instead of pellets, just to stop that type shit.....

The honey comb is to give more surface area. The rep at Magnaflow showed me one collapsed off of a 1 year old Beamer.:lol:

The honey comb is to give more surface area. The rep at Magnaflow showed me one collapsed off of a 1 year old Beamer.:lol:

OH lovely, German engineering or ethanol?? something screwed up, any clue as to what???

:surrender:

How stupid do i feel ? its been so long since i had a vehicle with cats i forgot - will check that right after the fourth. thanks for the idea and i hope thats it.

How stupid do i feel ? its been so long since i had a vehicle with cats i forgot - will check that right after the fourth. thanks for the idea and i hope thats it.

I will give you 500.00 for the car and you don't have to fix it! :friends:

OH lovely, German engineering or ethanol?? something screwed up, any clue as to what???

:surrender:

just started the 90 so i could get back to work on it, the 90 started fine and idled fine this time last week it bucked like a rodeo ride. can' depend on a self fix so i guess i need to check the vacuum to eliminate the cat and ohm out the injectors. i would have taken it for a ride but the fuel gauge said different - will get fuel tomarrow. how do i find the problem if it isn't acting up and isn't showing any check engine codes????

Class, I on a bit of a limb here, but if computer seems happy, I have to ASSume something not happy in the exhaust.....given this thread...

I personally never had a CAT ASS trophic converter clog on me, or if it did, it got blown out the ass and I never noticed....

:twitch:

The first thing to check on any fi car is fp

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

don't rule out anything..... buddy just had his exhaust glowing red..... thought it was the converter or a injector..... ha.... it was one of the coils..... never wold have guessed that.....