L88 Hood Project

Fuelie74

I had a hood laying around off my 73 parts car that has some damage to it so, I thought I would attempt to graft on an L88 scoop to it. The scoop is from Speedway motors and I know it is to short. My plan is to cut it in half fiberglass the two half's onto the hood then fiberglass the missing section in the middle.

Can anyone tell me how far back the front of the scoop is supposed to me from the front of the hood?
2224debf7f684919.jpg
2224debf7f729424.jpg

Last edited:
I might try the same thing this summer.

The "point" in the recess (of the scoop) is 16 1/2 inches back from the "point" on the hood.

Like to see how this progresses.

Thanks, I thought it was around 16 or 17 inches but wasn't for sure.

I cut the scoop about 10 inches from the back so I will have less lines to deal with and got it all screwed into place where I wanted it. Still a little unsure about the rear portions placement. Looks like no matter how far forward or back I set it its going to need a lot of work either way.
2224debf8bb4f478.jpg

I got the front part of the scoop all cut out.
2224debf8bbde1a3.jpg

The front section is screwed into place and ready to be fiberglass into place. The front corners are really the only areas on the scoop that I see that really don't line up very well.
2224debf8bc7754d.jpg

here is the one I am doing on my 82 vette

DSCF0530.jpg

I am making progress, but I have a few concerns. The scoop has a bow or dip on the top of it. I am not really sure how to go about straightening that out. Any suggestions?
2224dfec322e9f9a.jpg2224dfec32387982.jpg

I ordered some epoxy resin from US Composites. First time laying does fiberglass with epoxy resin. I wet it out on some wax paper first then applied it and rolled it out. It seemed nicer to layout than the Evercoat SMC resin that I had been using.
2224dfec3241da40.jpg

Similar Situation!

I have a 74 and am following this closely. My body guy thinks it is easier to just buy a L88 hood and have it installed, and try to see the stk hod.
Seeing how much time and money it takes to get the hood fitted correctly,
I think he might be right?
I really want an L88 hood to vent the hot air and some extra hood clearance.
Having a spare hood laying around is not high on my list.
Please keep us posted on how this works out! TIA

R

I have a 74 and am following this closely. My body guy thinks it is easier to just buy a L88 hood and have it installed, and try to see the stk hod.
Seeing how much time and money it takes to get the hood fitted correctly,
I think he might be right?
I really want an L88 hood to vent the hot air and some extra hood clearance.
Having a spare hood laying around is not high on my list.
Please keep us posted on how this works out! TIA

R

If you are going to pay someone to do the then hands down you are better off to just by a new hood. Other than a small floorpan modification I did last spring I have never worked with fiberglass, so I am using this as a learning experience and to get some practice before starting in on the rest of my car.

Is that "dip" equal side to side or just on the one side you put that straight edge on ????
You could grind the front lower so that you don't have to use 1/4" mat/resin to fill the low spot.... that's at least what it looks like you need judging by the first photo you posted....

To build up I'd hit it with a 40 grit sandpaper wheel and get rid of the gelcoat or primer, then add a few layers of resin and mat.... PITA but if you want it straight.... :waxer::cry:

See it positive: by the time you got this done you'll be an expert on fiberglass and can move on to the rest of the body with confidence :D

Bevel the transition between the two pieces at least an inch into each part, then fill the transition with resin and mat... don't just butt them against each other and fill the gap with Bondo.....

I am going to leave the top for last and stew over it. The thought has crossed my mind to take a curved board, put some wax paper on it and roll out some glass to make a replacement section.

You could also buy some sheet foam from home depot or ???
(Insulation sheets) Cut it to fit inbetween,carve and block sand it to match.Then glass over it.Super easy to form.I have built entire fronts with it.
It's like building a surfboard.:thumbs:(It will also be an easy way to fix the low area on top!)

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions! I haven't been able to make any progress on the hood lately. Way to many unexpected projects have came up and are taking all my time. Hopefully soon I can get back to working on it.