Land Rover SAR diesel

I'm going to try to get the bit that broke out of the fan housing.... but the other thing I might do is put electric fans on the back of the radiator and call it good.... with 2 fans I can get as much air flow as the motor-driven fan without the clutch fan issues.

Hopefully, this will start going together fairly quickly
not enough pedals

stock location

holes in the brake pedal

keep in mind, this is round 1

lots of marking/layout

compare - Defender RHD to Discovery LHD (discovery on right)

more compare

round 1

so I weld it together, and mock it in place.... damn, too close to the kick panel - need to move it over 2"

2" over, ground to make it purdier

time out to go look at a Jeep with wife... yep, this whole thing might be almost pointless

there we go, much better

and look, now we have enough pedals

one thing, I drove a stock Land Rover Discovery with a 5 speed; and hated how close the pedals were to the throttle pedal... this fixed the problem by using the automatic throttle pedal and moving the pedals away from the steering column, there's actually enough room to wear boots and not get hung up under the brake pedal

thanks Bob

anyway, let's make this thing run

motor mount work

this is what I'm copying

and we have a copy.... once it's in the vehicle, it'll look perfect

motor mounts are done...

I knew I'd find a use for the land rover jack....

left v. right, left is 2" narrower than the right side, so I got to cut my motor mount apart... easy as pie
if you look at the frame, you can see the mount resting over the frame

2" narrowed

the mount itself moves back about 6" on the frame

and there it is.... one thing to consider if you're doing this - the motor isn't exactly perpendicular to the ground because if it were, the oil pan would be too close to the driveshaft...

a lot of progress, not much to see -

also got the driveshafts in, last trans mount done, throttle cable installed and the shifters in.... I should have the fuel system done in another day or so.

"and there it is.... one thing to consider if you're doing this - the motor isn't exactly perpendicular to the ground because if it were, the oil pan would be too close to the driveshaft... "

I will definitely keep this in mind when I tackle mine! :rolleyes::lol:

"and there it is.... one thing to consider if you're doing this - the motor isn't exactly perpendicular to the ground because if it were, the oil pan would be too close to the driveshaft... "

I will definitely keep this in mind when I tackle mine! :rolleyes::lol:

there's a simple way of avoiding things like this - stop reading my build posts.

I get a bigger kick out of following you & Bob & Karsten's builds than the Corvette stuff! It's different, reminds me of past projects--although mine were usually (but not always) motorcycles. :thumbs:

truth be told, there's a lot I don't post... like this
heck of a lot cheaper than a trailer... anyway, here it is installed

you have to mount the bolts so the rails allow side or rear opening
P6030001_zps094dd930.jpg

duct tape to hold it in position
P6030002_zpsa1b016fe.jpg

installed
P6030003_zps528a74fe.jpg

with the ladder
P6030004_zps550f20cd.jpg

it has a part that zips to the bottom of the opened portion thus giving you a changing area ....

P6030005_zps597e4579.jpg

Last edited:
interesting ....since its so high does it rock the vehicle when you move about.....now none of this if the camper is a rocking don't come a knocking humor now.... and do you sleep over the car only or does the ladder act as support brace for the overhanging portion? I can see where you would never have to worry about flooding...and if you did you were really screwed. I like it

interesting ....since its so high does it rock the vehicle when you move about.....now none of this if the camper is a rocking don't come a knocking humor now.... and do you sleep over the car only or does the ladder act as support brace for the overhanging portion? I can see where you would never have to worry about flooding...and if you did you were really screwed. I like it

it's pretty solid, in fact, my camper on my 3/4 ton pickup sways a lot more.... but this thing "only" weighs about 120 lbs so there's not the mass to get rocking

driving around with it the last couple days - it's pretty much invisible from a driving perspective

This weekend I was at the Overland rally, and there were countless (okay, 4, I counted) 300 tdi diesel defenders.... I talked to the owner of Defender's NW and he let me take pictures - I'm sure everyone else would have as well, everyone there was super nice.

air pipe routing

coolant pipe routing

I asked "why the stainless wire on the bolts?" apparently, there are sleeves on the other side of those bolts and if the bolts back out, the sleeves drop into the motor... from what I understand, that would be bad

this picture made it all worth it. You can see the oil lines and the fuel lines

one interesting bit... so the air cleaner is the large, round tube .... which is yet another part I didn't get - but - the one he sent me was from a discovery (yay)

I was so excited to see this at the post office today

Though I now have black helicopters following me.... maybe it's because it's parts from a Defender?

back to work on this (at least for a day or two)

things are starting to lay out right.... now to turn the LR around so I can put it up on the lift and finish the fuel lines

Progress tonight
First guess, right fitting.... err.. not guess, consumate skill... (yeah, right, closer to unbridled luck).

the "other" fuel filter... it actually doesn't have a paper filter inside, it's more a settling container to get the big crap out - do I think it's needed? probably not

big hole

I feel like I'm two fasteners away from having the interior completely apart

anyway, tank is back in and the access is uncovered so that tomorrow my delivery from the UK - the diesel pickup - can be installed and I can mark "done" on the fuel system

continuing on... fuel system is completely connected

I bought a sender for a 300 TDI, fits like it was made for it
I did learn something, I guess, the ferrell are called "olives" in UK

of course, you should put all seals on before you put it together.

then onto the oil lines

a decidedly more home-spun solution

stock lines to an adapter to AN and stainless lines with an oil cooler on the front side. I figure with the turbo, having a separate oil cooler will pay dividends in longevity.