Lifter Bore Groove Tool

73 Mike

I'll drive it someday
Ive been preparing for assembling my block by watching some YouTube videos. That and some are very entertaining and the pass the time while I'm on the road.

In any case, I've been watching a series by a guy named Johnny K from Wisconsin and he introduced an idea and tool for essentially scoring the lifter bore to put additional iol on the leading edge of the cam:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMP-Cams-L..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item4d0d102322&vxp=mtr

Since I use HV oil pumps anyways (yes I know that it's probably a waste of power) and have priority oiling in the aftermarket block, I figure that I can afford some oil loss. What says Vettemod?

Here's the video if anyone is interested:

Non-roller? It might help, but if it's assembled correctly and broken-in properly, maybe it'll make the cam live a little longer. Even the lifters that have a hole in the face might help. With the oil out there today that's listed for street use, I wouldn't hold my breath at all.
It's a bit more money up front, but it's so easy to swap in a roller cam and the life is so much better, not even mentioning the less friction, I'd say that roller is the way to go. I have a block in the machine shop right now getting the lifter bore bushings to use .904 diameter lifters. Bigger axle, bigger wheel, and less side loading.

And I've heard the downside- just a little too deep with the score, and then all sorts of oil pressure and control problems.

It'll be a roller cam but with the retrofit lifters. I just hear too much about the rollers failing to ignore it. Thought this might deliver additional oil to the wheels/bearings.

I thought about machining and adding bushings to go your route and in the long run, that's probably a smarter way to go but I'm essentially trying to use up a bunch of really good SBC parts to get that motor in and running while I assemble a BBC. Keep getting caught up in " wouldn't it be nice" upgrades though.

And I've heard the downside- just a little too deep with the score, and then all sorts of oil pressure and control problems.

I could see that. Not a particularly precise piece of machinery and it's fairly hard to achieve a steady drip on purpose.

I have not heard of anyone having a problem with standard .843 hydraulic roller lifters. The hydraulics get oil from built in passages that solid lifters don't have unless you go with the Comp Endure-X or one of the other $$$ lifters.

I have not heard of anyone having a problem with standard .843 hydraulic roller lifters. The hydraulics get oil from built in passages that solid lifters don't have unless you go with the Comp Endure-X or one of the other $$$ lifters.

That makes me feel a little better. I have a set of solid roller lifters but intended to go with hydraulic. The performance of the solid lifter cam was astonishing but I'm worried about longevity. I used to be worried about how noisy they were but I don't think I'd be able to hear them over the side pipes.

I went to the .904's- I'm going with a solid roller. Haven't got all the specs put together yet. When the block comes back from the machine shop, I get to pull the LS-7, set the bare block in place and then try different heads to see what will fit. AFR is pretty much my pick, but if the headers won't clear the frame with the exhaust ports raised, then the drawing board comes into play. Luckily, the machine shop understands what's going on and can get his hands on Dart, AFR, Brodix heads that I can try before I drop the cash on something that is going to be a PITA to fit.

I went to the .904's- I'm going with a solid roller. Haven't got all the specs put together yet. When the block comes back from the machine shop, I get to pull the LS-7, set the bare block in place and then try different heads to see what will fit. AFR is pretty much my pick, but if the headers won't clear the frame with the exhaust ports raised, then the drawing board comes into play. Luckily, the machine shop understands what's going on and can get his hands on Dart, AFR, Brodix heads that I can try before I drop the cash on something that is going to be a PITA to fit.

Make sure the lifters are in hand so they can be fit as I see a big difference in lifter sizing between companies .0014 to .0019 I machine a lot of blocks for .094 and lifters are measure and the bores are honed accordingly

Most if not all .904 roller lifters have pin oiling.

Here is a good thread on lifter sizes
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35970

I've read that thread before- the guy that's doing my block and I have had several discussions about odd sized parts. He keeps several sets of lifters in stock just so he can fit them, then orders the cam as needed. In my case, not knowing for sure which heads I can use, we're getting everything all fit and clearanced, find which heads, and then order the cam.