Living with Nature

Geoff Coenen

My humble abode is surrounded by 350+ acres of trees, wetland, woods. I like the privacy and have had many species visiting.

Monday Tax Day 3:15 PM a bobcat wanders past our deck and behind the detached garage. Compared to our 50 lb dog, this kitty was maybe 60 lb+

Bobcat-Apr15-2024-A.JPG

Bobcat-Apr15-2024-B.JPG

Tuesday April 16 at 9:34 PM we had 2 brown black bears go past the deck, one went behind our detached garage. The other in front of that garage. They met up and then casually walked up our 200 ft driveway. I would guess they each were over 150 lbs. I had a chain over the lid and they crushed a galvanized steel garbage can trying to open it.
Bears-Apr-16-2024B.JPG

Bears-Apr-16-2024C.JPG

Around here the bears come out of hibernation in April. From now to December I won't let our dog run free. And I'm in the market for a leather holster set up with a belt attached that I can just strap on when I take our dog out. My 45 Long Colt will help keep the peace.

Reactions: rtj
Surrounded by wildlife and corvettes. You are living the good life.

I lived in CT for 10 years or so. Lots to like about that state. The yearly tax on cars sucked, but my truck wasn't too expensive and the corvettes were exempt. Nice short mild winters. The local lake effect snow here where I currently live is going to force me to move south.

The property tax on cars, trucks has prevented me from buying new vehicles. I'm fed up with paying sales tax when I buy a vehicle and then have to pay a yearly tax on said vehicle every year there after. Once a vehicle is 25 years old in CT it can be register as an antique with a ?? maximum tax basis value of $500 bux. So that tax is much less. And the joke is every town has a different rate on vehicles. The car tax rate in Bpt, CT is higher than Greenwich where all the zillion-airs reside.

You know whats screwy - there was a sign installed by the city, govt 2 years ago - 100 feet past my driveway "Beware of Bears? Guess what - it was removed by by the city, govt ?? No longer there.

The 350 acres is not my land - but city property that surround my property. You would think a warning
to be on the lookout for a bear or bears would be intelligent.

You know whats screwy - there was a sign installed by the city, govt 2 years ago - 100 feet past my driveway "Beware of Bears? Guess what - it was removed by by the city, govt ?? No longer there.

Bears got to eat too. Send in some dumbass "eco-campers"