lost the transmission

keywestjack

On one of the hot days here in the Burg, I was driving my 77 on the interstate and lost my th350. It had a weak 1st but 2 and 3 were gone. I have been using synthetic trans fluid and it did not smell burned. At first I thought I may have fried it because of the 373 gears in the rear end. Luckly I had a transmission built and sitting in the garage for another project. Anyway I think I will take it to the builder and have him do an autopsy. Any thoughts? Jack

When you rebuild it, just make damn sure to do a TRANS GO shift kit.....best around....:gurney::drink:

Your call, but why spend money for a builder to do the autopsy? It's easy to get it apart, and pictures posted can get you the info you want.

I get that but I am going to have it rebuilt anyway. (I have this crazy idea to build a T-Bucket...maybe it will go away) In any regard the builder is cool and will tell and show me the problems. I just don't want to have the same issues soon. :hissyfit:

I get that but I am going to have it rebuilt anyway. (I have this crazy idea to build a T-Bucket...maybe it will go away) In any regard the builder is cool and will tell and show me the problems. I just don't want to have the same issues soon. :hissyfit:

since it died why not find a 700r4 core and upgrade. 373's & 700r4 goes nicely together, if you were in california I would hook you up with my 82's 700r4 since I am considering a LT1/4l60e

Last edited:
good time for a 5spd conversion :D

I did not give that a thought, hmmmm. Are there any kits available.

AUTO TO STICK is a royal PIA, because the frame/chassis bracket maybe not there, and so to do a hydraulic clutch, that shit gets crazy, from all the posts I have read about that.....stick to auto is a breeze IF you weld or have a buddy who does.....

Last edited:
the th350 is probably the best transmission to learn how to rebuild - and the rebuild kit costs peanuts

as for manual conversion... will be doing that soon - what's the big problem alluded to above?

the th350 is probably the best transmission to learn how to rebuild - and the rebuild kit costs peanuts

as for manual conversion... will be doing that soon - what's the big problem alluded to above?

I screwed up the post, I went from Muncie to 700 then 200 4r....the easy way...and cheep in the time frame, even today from what I read....

:eek::smash::surrender:

I screwed up the post, I went from Muncie to 700 then 200 4r....the easy way...and cheep in the time frame, even today from what I read....

i realize I wasn't clear - I'm putting a super t-10 in to replace the th350...

In the Wash DC region I spent 53 years at, the max speeds MAY reach as asstounding 80 mph for 1/2 a mile, then it's back in the soup of traffic....so the 336 rear and Muncie were fine, but on the trips here to Florida, and being here for a few months, I found the speeds were 80 at ~4k rpm to be a bit much, and this is normal speeds here....for much greater distances, this is the largest land area town in the country....the joint is SPREAD OUT....and so the need for a automatic overdrive, so I went the opposite direction, it was tricky enough to get all that shit sorted out, going to a stick from auto would be a super PIA, and more so for having to drop out all the dash to add the clutch pedal....:hissyfit::mad: much less the tunnel mods to dump the auto shifter and put in a stick shifter, and of course the mounts to the crossmember.....assuming it is similar to the Muncie....then get to play with the cross support and mounts....

electrical shit don't bother me too much olde tyme ET here from the vacuum tube daze yet.....:flash:

In the Wash DC region I spent 53 years at, the max speeds MAY reach as asstounding 80 mph for 1/2 a mile, then it's back in the soup of traffic....so the 336 rear and Muncie were fine, but on the trips here to Florida, and being here for a few months, I found the speeds were 80 at ~4k rpm to be a bit much, and this is normal speeds here....for much greater distances, this is the largest land area town in the country....the joint is SPREAD OUT....and so the need for a automatic overdrive, so I went the opposite direction, it was tricky enough to get all that shit sorted out, going to a stick from auto would be a super PIA, and more so for having to drop out all the dash to add the clutch pedal....:hissyfit::mad: much less the tunnel mods to dump the auto shifter and put in a stick shifter, and of course the mounts to the crossmember.....assuming it is similar to the Muncie....then get to play with the cross support and mounts....

electrical shit don't bother me too much olde tyme ET here from the vacuum tube daze yet.....:flash:

I live near Seattle, close enough that my traffic is similar to WA DC traffic (though, not quite as bad). My DD is a 6 speed in my GTO, so rowing isn't too bad as long as I have a place to put the coffee cup (beside between the legs - ouch).

I'm not so far on my build that pulling the Speedo cluster back out to add the bits for the clutch would be that terrible.... hmmmm, project creep. IIRC, my car has 3.42s, so it would be worse at highway speeds - but I make it a clutch now, and a 5 (DN) or 6 speed won't be too far behind

Last edited:

I live near Seattle, close enough that my traffic is similar to WA DC traffic (though, not quite as bad). My DD is a 6 speed in my GTO, so rowing isn't too bad as long as I have a place to put the coffee cup (beside between the legs - ouch).

I'm not so far on my build that pulling the Speedo cluster back out to add the bits for the clutch would be that terrible.... hmmmm, project creep. IIRC, my car has 3.42s, so it would be worse at highway speeds - but I make it a clutch now, and a 5 (DN) or 6 speed won't be too far behind

NOW, I feel like a freeking idiot for cutting the clutch pedal off with a sawzall, and it went into the trash years ago....:crap: obviously not much thought of it at the time, oh well....:(

I did the conversion from auto to 5spd and overall it wasn't all THAT bad .... the pedals were the hardest part but with the seat removed you can do it laying on your back upside down..... bellhousing alignment is critical so it's best done with the engine removed, unless you have a lift.