Lowering rear strut inner mounting point

7t2vette

My car is lowered, and I want to improve the geometry. I want to lower my rear strut mounting point at the diff. It looks like I can either fab a spacer to go between the diff and bracket to lower it (easiest) or modify the bracket itself to lower the mounting point. Is one way better/worse than the other? I could also buy a ready-made bracket from Tom's or the VBP smart strut bracket.

I've also heard of raising the diff, but I am not exactly sure how this is done. What happens to the bushings in the crossmember? Or is the diff crossmember itself modded?

I am also at the same time going to be swapping out my poly strut rods for Global West struts with rod ends. Anyone use these? I assume the plate with three holes also allows for some different positions for the struts.

http://www.globalwest.net/63-96-corvette-rear-suspension-components.html

I also need to solve a wheel hop issue that raised it's ugly head when I did the TH-400 to TKO600 swap, but that's another subject!!! :hissyfit:

Last edited:
My car is lowered, and I want to improve the geometry. I want to lower my rear strut mounting point at the diff. It looks like I can either fab a spacer to go between the diff and bracket to lower it (easiest) or modify the bracket itself to lower the mounting point. Is one way better/worse than the other? I could also buy a ready-made bracket from Tom's or the VBP smart strut bracket.
:hissyfit:

Make - or Buy? Its pretty easy to fab up a couple of plates to get the 1/2 lowering you be looking for. Use the existing bracket to locate the holes - a drill press and voila - in less than an hour - you'll be back on the road. Well, assuming no glitches - like rusted bolts, frozen bits, beer breaks, neighbor's stopping by, or "While-I'm-At-Its" attacks. But is always fun to get stuff in the mail - and you still get all of the above - except the drilling!:)

Cheers - Jim

I could also buy a ready-made bracket from Tom's or the VBP smart strut bracket.

I also need to solve a wheel hop issue that raised it's ugly head when I did the TH-400 to TKO600 swap, but that's another subject!!! :hissyfit:

My advice is, given a choice, buy the bracket from Tom's. They use a genuine GM bracket and modify it. The VBP bracket is a repro and the mounting hole fittings are a little sloppy. The GM bracket tolerances are much more tighter. Interesting about your TKO 600 comment. I have TKO 600's in my 68 and 70. Only the 68 is drivable. No wheel hop, but the ZZ4 engine is only somewhere around 400 hp.