LT1 is done/installed. Help with fuel system needed

Jclgodale3

Ok. The late model LT1 is now done and installed in the 68. I would like some guidance on the fuel system. I do not want to change gas tanks or install an "in tank" fuel pump. I want to use an external/inline pump.
What are your suggestions for:
Pump? I was thinking a WALBRO Universal External Inline 255 LPH like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0475283068&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Fuel pressure regulator? I was thinking one like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0133297325&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Inline filter? I was thinking one like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0360530631&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT
I also want to install an inertia switch for safety.
I was planning on adapting my 3/8 feed and 1/4 return lines over to -6an fittings and using the stock fuel lines to the tank.
Any suggestions/comments/advice? I would like to get this thing running for the spring weather and the fuel system is about all that is left. The wiring harness is going in now.
th_68lt1install2.jpg

68lt1install3.jpg

68lt1insall.jpg

Pump is just about the same as what I have....but last I saw the rough equivalent was from AZ for some 80 bux....I want to say Master pro/craft??

why not the stock LT1 regulator?? I used the one from my L98, because the L98 dizzy was retained....the intake was totally reworked to fit the L98 engine, same thing, really....

I think a good FI filter on the suck side of the pump, between the pump and tank.....is the way to fly....I just use the typical stainless hose clamp type filter there, since it's only gravity type pressures....

I think cheep and lazy....

:D

If you convert your lines to AN you need to flare them and use tube nuts and sleeves. Do NOT!!!!!! use the earls hard line adapters. They are rated to about 50psi on a perfect brand new steel line, not a corroded old one. The brass ferrule and aluminum adapter pieces can not exert enough force for the ferrule to bite the pipe hard enough to seal it. IF you want to go that route, get some swagelok fittings.
Why no in tank pump? An in tank pump ith the isolator sock around it is:
1) dependable, it will last for many many miles if you sue a quality delco pump with new strainer
2) quiet, with the isolator sock around it, the pump submerged in the tank is hardly noticeable unlike the buzzing of most aftermarket external pumps.

If you are hell bent on the ext. pump, get a 100 micron pre filter for it.

Looks like a chrome shark in the avatar, so I ASSume that the car, hence a bottom of tank sending unit, and no easy room for a in tank pump, PIA to do otherwise, same shituation I am in....

noise is not a issue, even with a stock as a stove '72 exhaust....can't hear that rad hose and hose clamped to the rear frame thwart under the tank output....good FI h/pressure hose and FI clamps to the stock lines...hasn't leaked in 15 years, unless I forgot to tighten a clamp...:hissyfit::crutches:

Now if not using a hose to isolate that pump, yeh, it's loud as hell....

:friends:

I am using a Walbro 255 external on my 74 with a TPI. Has worked good for me and really isn't that loud. I would of loved to run a intake pump, but didn't see an easy cost effective way at the time.

I have both options on my 63 with TPI. I had Rock Valley install an in tank pump and I also ran a redundant, external, pump from the stock fuel sender feed. Both pumps flow through a Mallory external filter. The Mallory filter has two inlets and two outlets. I run each pump into the filter and both feed through the same single outlet to the front of the car.

I switch pumps on a monthly basis to keep both alive and well.

Rich:beer:

..good FI h/pressure hose and FI clamps to the stock lines...hasn't leaked in 15 years, unless I forgot to tighten a clamp.

:friends:

Yes. This is what I was hoping to do so, if needed, the original hard lines would be in place, and not butchered, at a later date if someone wanted to convert it back

Just a heads up, I was planning on using my 68 original lines for fuel and return on my LS conversion. When I tried flaring the 40 year old lines, the result didn't inspre a lot of confidence.
I ended up bending up new line, AN ends, walbro 255 inline pump.