made some progress today - Karmann Ghia

ok, engine and fan as well as the engine tin is in there.... that tin is a tight fit with the new gasket, wasn't easy but I got it in there .....

photo-2-6.jpg
and the exhaust is done, just missing the tailpipes..... stainless tailpipes are on their way, waiting for the brown truck :)

photo-3-3.jpg

Valve covers are now blasted, painted and installed....... got some other stuff done as well: added a real oil filter and located it up in the engine bay. Waiting for compression fittings to complete the fuel line then it's pretty much done.

photo-2-7.jpg

Valve covers are now blasted, painted and installed....... got some other stuff done as well: added a real oil filter and located it up in the engine bay. Waiting for compression fittings to complete the fuel line then it's pretty much done.

photo-2-7.jpg

Love those giant exhaust pipes.....

yeah but we usually use knife and fork :D

fabb'd a bracket tonight and came up with this setup for my crankcase ventilation:

photo-1.jpg

probably overkill but it sure looks fancy :D

what a brainfart...... this breather won't work, I "forgot" the vacuum line.... without the vacuum line it will puke oil out the breather. :cussing:

Problem is that I never had a stock air filter with vacuum port, the previous owner installed a washable cone filter like a K&N without vacuum line - now this might explain why the engine leaked so much oil.....

I just read up on this crankcase vent topic and found out that the vacuum line goes to the oil filler neck and the crank pulley allows air to flow into the crankcase. Brilliant !!!

Karsten, I have not even SEEN one of them since my sis drove one similar in a early 60's bug..... so your last post makes me want to see WTF you are talking about...read it several times, and it's just don't relate to a V8.....

:lol:

just like a V8 it needs a vacuum line to the crankcase and a "air in" port. On the SB Chevy you have a breather on one valve cover, on the other valve cover you have a vacuum line to the back of the carb (or the intake) ... now, my mistake was to plumb the port that's supposed to get vacuum to a breather. I didn't know that the "air in" is the crankshaft pulley seal , bottom line is: if you don't connect the vacuum line to the crankcase vent it will puke oil out the crankshaft pulley seal, instead of pulling air in.....

when I was done with the breather I was wondering " wait, where does the vacuum line go?"

I had a 70 bug 4 spd. (30 + years ago) with an 1800? cc engine with a centrifugal advance distributor. I got the car from a co-worker for $25.00 after it caught fire. After I restored the car I tagged it and took it out for a spin to see what it could do. I passed a cop at over 90 in 3rd gear on a 50 mph highway, so I slowed down, pulled over and stopped. He asked me why I didn't run and then wrote me for 68 mph saying that the 70 mph ticket was a lot of money. I guess what he didn't know wouldn't hurt anyone...

What I am trying to say is that these little VW's may not have much off the line but they can RUN!

Nice Karmann Ghia! My family doctor always had a red 'vert, long time ago (1960's).

Hey , time for an update.....

well..... still haven't started it yet but I blasted the rims, getting ready for new tires :)
had a lot of "other stuff" to do so progress slowed down a little.....

photo_zps6336b829.jpg