Motor mounts small block vs big block?

wickd

Got a question about motor mounts. My car came with a small block from the factory and years ago I put a big block in it. I used the same motor mounts and just bolted the big block in with no problems. I have seen posts about motor mounts and some people talk like there are different mounts for big blocks in vettes. Does anybody know about that? I am just starting on a c-4 suspension conversion for my 72 and the first thing I need to do is set the motor and the 4l80e trans in place and make the trans crossmember/trans mount mods before I do anything else and I want to make sure I am using the right mounts on the motor.

Thanks,
Mike

The motor mounts are the same SB & BB.

The originals are non locking and some use the locking mount, but phyically the BB and SB are the same.

I've seen this question asked several times in various forums. I think a contributor to confusion about motor mounts is that Chevrolet automobiles came with two designs of motor mounts. I ordered a set of new motor mounts when I was going to install my ZZ4 in my 68. I ordered them from a local performance store. I'm pretty sure the parts catalog said they were for a SB. They didn't fit. Anyhow, I ordered the next set from a Corvette vendor just to avoid any more hassle.

Where the motor mounts bolt up to the frame horns...the frame horns come in two widths, one wider and one narrower. I forget which width Corvette frame horns are.

Gentlemen & the Ladies present with regard to Corvette and only Corvette (I don't know a thing about other Bowties or other GM carlines)

1963-1969 originally used what is termed a non locking motor mount
1970-1982 originally used what is termed a locking motor mount

There are actually interchangeable & either can be used on any 1963-1982. The only restriction is as follows. If you use locking mounts on a 1963-1969 Corvette, the lower spark plug wire "V" shaped ignition shields need to be notched to clear the mount. Can be done with metal snips.

PS I never broke a Corvette motor mount but all my Corvettes have been stock 360, 390, 400 or 435 horsepower's, not the mega fat blocks with enhanced aspiration.