My 1,500.00 1990 project

I must say you have alot of patience, and a well rounded out ability to attack all the issues.:beer:

Thanks! The car has been a PITA since I started the project. I have been pondering with changing the interior color to a tan color though because black could get a bit to hot in the summer time for me. Plus I like the looks of the tan and black interior verses the all black interior.

When I bought this car I had several options if it was too much of a project. My best friend would have bought it off me for a race car project he always wanted to build or I could have bought one of those tubular C3 frames that accepts C4 suspension parts and used this car as a donor for my 82 vette.

In the next two months I am going to start on the interior and weatherstripping project of the car. I forsee that as a very expensive part of the project. However when done the inside will look brand new again then I will be down to paint, tires, registration and smog.

I have a friend who works for Dupont paints and he is going to try and set me up with a painter who will do the car on the side and save me quite a bit of money.

For the interior I am going to try and buy a new dash pad,door panels, seatbelts, trim pieces. Then go through one of the covette places for carpet and mounted seat cushions.

For the interior I am going to try and buy a new dash pad,door panels, seatbelts, trim pieces. Then go through one of the covette places for carpet and mounted seat cushions.

Alot of vendors give good deals on complete interior kits. Al Knoch has the best kits, and Corvette America makes most all the kits sold everywhere else.
Check out both their sites.

Just a little update on this car. I just purchased a carpet kit, leatherlike seat upholstery and new 4 piece foam kit for the sport seats from Willcox. Pretty dam expensive 1,154.00 ... The next high price stuff weatherstripping, tires, cat converters, paint.

When its all done this should be a very nice looking vette. I will post pictures of the new stuff when it arrives.

Just ordered a 358.00 weatherstrip kit from willcox as well. I will probably wait till March to put all this stuff on the car since thats when my vacation time will come.

stay tuned!

Just a small update on the car. I went down today and had new tires put on the stock 90 wheels I bought for the car. I went with Riken Raptor 275/40/17, these should be fine for the kind of driving I intend to do with the car. I basically just hated the C5 wagon wheels that were on the car when I bought it and actually prefer the stock looking wheels over other styles anyways. Next month I am going to take them dow to be polished out though.

0213101655.jpg

0213101655a.jpg

Last edited:
When I got this '72, I picked up a set of '90 vette wheels for it, but only 2 of them, never did find another pair.....

found a good deal on '92 wheels, so on the car they went, always did like the '90 look better......

so I found a set of '89 wheels, pretty close, almost as good....they on the car now....trade you......:devil::beer:

theres a dude on CF pologreen something like that thats selling a set of 90 wheels. ...... I was going to sell these rims because I was pondering with ZR-1 5 spoke replica's but it seems every has those wheels or C5 thin spokes which is cool because nowadays you don't see many ones with there original wheels. I got lucky and got these rims for 200.00 bucks.

Sorry they aren't for sale though ...

I do have a nice set of chrome C5 wagon wheels for sale though.

Heres the wheels that are being replaced. They are nice but just didn't appeal to me on the car is all.

hoodwear10.jpg

0412091724.jpg

0412091723.jpg

0412091724a.jpg

0412091724b.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, but even when I was a kid, I never wanted chrome wheels on any car, I muchly preferred the brushed aluminum look, like today they repro the TTD's...replacement for the old Cragar SS that was so popular....I always loved the old TTD's.....the color Pontiac called the spokes was Argent Gray, with the rim done in brushed aluminum.....but the new ones I see are all chrome, oh well....

:shocking::beer:

so if you look at my site, you see the car has black metallic centers and silver hubs/rims....brushed/matte aluminum, no polish shine....close as I can get for a cheep price...I gave 120 here in cheep old Jax Florida for those '89 wheels, sold my '92 wheels to a racer for 200, so that paid for the tire swap....

:beer:

Yeah after my 97 camaro's chrome wheels started to leak all the time I also grew to hate chrome wheels as well .... Plus the C5 wheels make a C4 look like a matchbox car!

I actually got up off my lazy butt today and put the tires and rims on my car. I think after they are polished they will look great on the car.

I basically want the polished wheels with chrome vette emblems, polished stainless LT1 style muffler tips. I think that will good with polo green. I also started razor blading off a lot off the peeling clearcoat from the car today as well.

I'm still waiting on all my interior stuff and weather stripping as well. After thats in the car it should start looking like a real car again.

I've actually been thinking about selling the car though because a 91 convertible vette has caught my eye and I might buy that.

1990corvettewhitepartson3.jpg

0214101649.jpg

Last edited:
I've pretty much paid for all the expensive parts the car needed already. The rest of the stuff left to buy now shouldn't be to bad. The registration on the car is 3 years behind and I'm hoping there was a non-op placed on the car before I bought it or that could be expensive to pay for. The paint will be up there as well, but when it's done I don't expect to have more then 6,000.00 into this project. I think right now I'm in the neighborhood of 3,800.00 on the car.
I probably could have bought a real nice one for 6k but even so theres no telling what it might have needed .

Parts I also intend on getting that the car needs
window motors
1 power door lock solenoid
2 radiator fan motors
antenna motor
shocks
full brake kit
wheel bearings
cat converters
1 bose amp

Well, yesterday I received my 16 piece carpet kit and 7 piece weatherstripping kit for the car. I went with the ACC mass back kit and seems to be a very nice kit, well worth the money I paid for it in my opinion.

When I get the foam and seat covers I will post pictures of everything. I think between the heavy mass back carpet and the madvette sound deading material it should be relatively quiet riding inside.

Jeff, I can undelete them if that's OK with you. IMO, like Larry said it's better for the continuity of the thread and makes it a lot easier to follow.

Jeff, I can undelete them if that's OK with you. IMO, like Larry said it's better for the continuity of the thread and makes it a lot easier to follow.

Yeah go ahead if it makes a difference to people.

Well, Yeah, I think so, I had a C4 and am curious about what you are doing...

:crutches: but I been following along, so would others, I suspect...